Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Are you interested in doing more of the work yourself?
Yes, I think it is worth a $2000 reduction in price. 0 0%
Yes, I think it is worth a $4000 reduction in price. 1 1.30%
Yes, I think it is worth an $8,000 reduction in price. 9 11.69%
yes, I think it is worth a $10,000 reduction in price. 30 38.96%
Yes, I think it is worth a $20,000 reduction in price--and I am dreaming! 7 9.09%
No, Kirkham will ruin their name with crappy customer finished cars out there. 30 38.96%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2005, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Scotchbrite Pads

David,

Good point on the electric sander.

On the sweet looking hybrid with the polished stripes on the example manual page you posted, was the satin finish achieved with 120 grit and then the scotchbrite pads. That is the level of finish I am striving to attain on my car, but I was under the assumption I would have to take the sanding to 320 grit to accomplish that "ultra brushed" look.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

The FIA car you see on our website is owned by one of our employees. He sanded it with 120 grit and then hit it with Scotch Brite pads. He used about an entire box of pads to do the car.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 01-05-2005, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 283
Not Ranked     

David,

I think you are most certainly on the right track with a "kit" type option. You could reach a wider market and sell more cars. The trade we're talking about is time for dollars. Some guys have less time and mechanical expertise so they use more dollars and go the "roller" route. Others have more time and skill but much less dollars ( I fall into this category) and will be attracted to the "kit" concept.

The aluminum body/chassis you offer is what makes your product so attractive. Use that as the basic starting point. Then start offering "Completion Kits" - suspension kit complete, driveline kit complete, interior kit complete, steering kit complete, etc . . A guy with limited financial resources could start with the body/chassis and add assemblies as his budget allows.

You sell more cars because you make that starting point more affordable. More people will take the plunge.

Your start with online instructions is a great way to go. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". A complete parts list is necessary, really complete, down to nuts and bolts, but you need that anyway. Add your sources so everyone knows where the parts come from- GREAT!!

Cut the cost of your product, sell more, make more, grow your business. The only down side is the need for inventory, tracking systems, and a bigger shipping department, but hey products going out means money coming in. The UPS guy will love you.

Forgive my "thousand word" ramble, but I think you're thinking in the right direction.

Steve Blackmon
Southern California
Old 01-05-2005, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

Luke, I understand every point you make. and they are valid. somewhere between my point of view and yours, is the answer!! As for an online Manual accessible to Buyers or Builders, Thumbs up!! Downloadable Adobe!! save you more money! Bodies attached to frame already is a MUST!! I still want to see a Registry! whatever the outcome, I am certain it will be a good one.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

David,

Steve Blackmon's post above echo's what I PM'd you about. Offer a kit in phases, so those of us that want to buy a Kirkham but want to spread the investment over a longer period of time can jump in and get started on our dream cars. You are in the unique position of being able to lower the barrier to entry without lowering your overall price. This nets you more customers (the lower barrier to entry) but keeps your current owners from getting upset by a decline in resale value.

Looks like Steve is into a 289FIA. So am I, so that makes at least two...

Dangerous Doug

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Steve Blackmon,

Thanks for the comments. We are working on that right now. Stand by. We hope to have more of a manual up shortly.

David
Old 01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

If I can sell one car at 55,000 and make 10,000 profit or sell 4 cars at a lower price and still make 10,000 profit,I would choose to do the former. It is less work, less overhead and my ability to control quaility is better. I guess it depends if you want to compete with Factory Five or Shelby. chuck
Old 01-10-2005, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Chuck,

Certainly you are correct, assuming you make $10,000 either way. But, what if one is more profitable than the other? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question right now. Also, if we take costs out that customers are willing to take on themselves then the picture changes. Lots of customers seem very interested in sanding the cars themselves to save money. The cars I have seen are quite nice as most guys want to do a sweet job on their ride--which, of course, makes me happy.

The picture really changes if you can make and sell 4 cars for 10,000 profit in 1/2 the time it takes you to make and sell 1 car for 10,000 profit. (I am using your numbers and they are just for conversation--as in not real.)

Always experimenting.

David
Old 01-15-2005, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC, 427 SO from the Fliptop
Not Ranked     

Sanding??????Acid Etch...Epoxy Primer...Paint
(repaint and thin no more)
Old 08-26-2006, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 428PI Toploader
Not Ranked     

David-
Have you considered another set of eyes on the situation...

Mike
Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Note the date of this thread poll was January 2005...
Old 08-26-2006, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 428PI Toploader
Not Ranked     

I saw the thread date, but haven't heard anything new...