Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 #313, LeFevres built 482" all aluminum FE.
Not Ranked     
Default More Air For My Kirkham

In my quest for more air, I came up with the following air cleaner solution:

First, special order K&N Filter E-2720. This is a 9" filter, and significantly larger than our old standby, E-1025. Then, order K&N X-Stream Filter Lid, 66-0901. Finally, buy 9" chrome filter base from local cheapo auto parts store (you'll probably have to buy the whole filter assembly, then discard the paper filter and the top). The photo above compares my old assembly with the new assembly. As you can see, mucho mas air. By the way, I don't think the standard 9" K&N X-stream complete assembly will work -- the filter element they supply with this kit is too tall and will not clear the hood scoop, at least on my car with a Shelby aluminum block and Shelby intake under a 1000 cmf Holley 4150 hp.

Then, get out your Sharpie and your Dremel tool. I installed the assembly, and then ran a bead of white grease around the outer rim of the filter lid. Lower the hood carefully, and the white grease will mark the clearance area to be removed. Carefully outline the grease mark with a Sharpie, clean it up, and dremel the right radius out with a cutting wheel. Then take that scrap piece and use it to mark a symetrical radius on the oposite side. I did this because I wanted the underside of the hood to look pretty, even though the marks from the grease showed that the filter lid was not actually centered in the existing hood opening.

This is what is looks like in place. Oh, and I took it out for a test drive -- the increase in breathing was immediatley and profoundly apparent -- AS IF I NEEDED MORE POWER! Wowzer. Also, I had to rejet my carb, since the increase in airflow created a slightly leaner condition. The air is also pretty chilly (and thus more dense) this time of year (45 degrees).

Hope this post is of some use to my fellow Kirkham owners, especially if you looking for a way to get more airflow than provided by the standard E-1025.

Last edited by W. MITTY; 01-05-2005 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Wink

Would the X-Stream lid fit on the 1025 K&N filter? I was thinking they were close enough that it might work. FYI, another way to go would have been to feed 4 cylinders with their own air filter i.e. dual fours. .
Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, Pond Aluminum 482FE
Not Ranked     

Nice work, W Mitty!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dreamer,

Yes, the lid will fit on the 1025, it just hangs over on the outside and looks kind of goofy.

Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Now, will it fit within a turkey pan?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo,

Stay tuned, I'll check when I get home tonight. I'm confident that it will clear with plenty of room.

I've had the turkey pan off as I have been doing some carb tuning.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Keep us tuned in. We will have a new turkey pan in mind for those endless carb tinkerer type guys. GREAT IDEA. Looks great.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Interestingly, you noticed the air cleaner is NOT in the center of the hood. The engine is set 1/2 inch to the right in these cars. Originally, the hood scoop holes were indeed offset to the right, but when people opened the hood they noticed it so we moved the cut out to the center of the hood.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 01-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Good...I've been hoping someone would make a bigger pan for awhile.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,

The 9" assembly does, indeed, fit inside the turkey pan.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Cool...many thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default ERA #414 - Me too

Just got back from the dyno, and found that I got a 20HP gain with the air filter assembly off! So, out with the Stelling & Hellings & over-oiled KN.

However, I really don't want to take a dremmel tool to the inside of the hood as it's nicely finished and painted.

If the unit fits inside the turkey pan, won't it also clear the edges of the hood scoop opening? However, it looks like my hood scoop opening is exactly 9" wide. Any ideas or suggestions? Do you know if anyone makes a flow through top smaller than 9" diameter?
Thanks!
Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Maybe a solution.....

After scouring the forums, I came across a reference to these guys

http://www.motorsportsintl.com/

Seems they have custom fabbed an air cleaner that is the same shape as a turkey pan, just a bit smaller. It has a K&N filter in it, with an aluminum top and bottom plate available with the Cobra emblem stamped in it. Guy said he thinks it flows around 900cfm and claimed it was the max flow you could get with a turkey pan & filter set-up (we'll see about that next time I'm at the dyno).

I ordered one and will post a pic when I get it in.
Thanks!
Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Motorsports International Air Cleaner Assembly

HSSS 427,

So I am assuming the air cleaner assembly you are referring to is oval shaped?

I am thinking this type of a setup may look nice on my FIA with a single 4 barrel until I get a weber IDA setup.

Mike
Old 01-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yup...saw the Motorsports one in their catalog, but I think what the real benefit to Mitty's experiment is the use of the Xtreme top...so the air blasts right down into the carb. I'm wondering if a shorter filter on the 9" might clear the scoop opening without a dremel in hand.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

About 9 months ago (or so), I wrote a letter to K&N trying to sell them on the merits of offering the 9" Xtreme lid in a polished lip or chrome finish (vs. the black anodized offering). They basically never got back to me, which was their way of saying "YOU may think there is a market for those, but not us."

If someone else wants to try, maybe another "Cobra guy" can make them start to smell the coffee? Asthetically these units look like crap, but they definitely flow better. I'm still considering doing what W. Mitty did here, but was also concerned about clearance to my 'glass hood and scoop.

Maybe Mr. Mitty can answer this one question. Does the black anodized "ring" around the filter come apart easily, or do they bond it to the filtering material pretty good? If the filter comes apart easily, I could send out the ring for plating.

-Dean
Old 01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Red...I tried prying one apart...it's made not to come apart.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Jamo, thanks for the information and for sacrificing one for the team!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

My 120 lb Lab thinks it's a great fresbie.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Element only?

Me too.. I tried to carefully seperate my top lid element without damaging it. Yeah... that outer ring with the K&N letters looks pretty lame. I was thinking we could machine a nice aluminum lid and glue in the K&N top filter back in, but no dice.

I never did see if K&N would just sell the filter top insert alone. Might be able to get it cheap, if they'd sell it that way. If so, it still might be worth making a nice clean looking custom lid of some sort.

Did any of you by chance ask K&N if they would just sell the filter element for their top lid?

Last edited by decooney; 01-12-2005 at 12:14 AM..