Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkham vs Shelby vs Original

How close is the Kirkham to the original and to the Shelby CSX4000 cars? (with aluminum bodies)

What are the differences?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

The original body is pretty much like a beer can strength wise. Side to side, the body panels vary in size as much as 3/8 of an inch or more. The Kirkham is a stonger, lighter, aluminum alloy built to much more exacting tolerances. Many of the new Shelby's are Kirkhams. It all depends on who Shelby has snowed into getting in bed with at any given time.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

The Kirkhams took their own original Cobra, measured one side of it, mirrored that set of dimensions to give a totally symmetrical body, and build the whole lot to aviation-standard tolerances, so basically, it`s about the best you can make it, and all parts are interchangeable with the original.(Or were... not sure now that they are doing the billet suspension stuff etc!)
As THOR has said, Kirkham supplied full rollers to Shelby which became the CSX4000 when a badge was added.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

nikb-

There was a hell of a lot more of difference between a Kirkam and a Shelby than just addng a badge.

It's amazing how you can make this blanket statements when in fact you don't really know anything about this?

On second thought I get it! You're just trying to minimise what Shelby does!

I understand now - never mind.

Pat Buckley
Old 02-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Kirkham supplied full rollers to Shelby which became the CSX4000 when a badge was added.
Pat's correct, for sure.

Most of the CSX4000 alum cars are based on Kirkham-sourced platform. A handful of hand-made others were sourced from a few different companies, but the majority are KMP-based.

But, Kirkham supplied the frame, with body skin attached, and the inner alum panels.... no roller, by any means.

SA does their own full undercarriage, plumbing, fuel and hydraulics, and all rolling and suspension components.

They are indeed a value-added finished product... not a re-badge...couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

nikbj68,

When did THOR say this??

Quote:
As THOR has said, Kirkham supplied full rollers to Shelby which became the CSX4000 when a badge was added
Kirkham has NEVER supplied a "full roller" to Shelby.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Kirkham vs Shelby vs Original

Quote:
Originally posted by rsimoes

How close is the Kirkham to the original ...
Back to the original question...

The body is extremely faithful..probably one of the best replications.

The frame is 99.9% to the original...with very minor variations for production improvements.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

and we're off!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by casaleenie

and we're off!!!!!!
oh, no, it won't...new rules....

20 factual posts allowed... if it turn to blather, it'll get shut down!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:07 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

The typical “cars” we have sold to Shelby, were configured as follows:

Aluminum body, steel frame (early cars were painted, most cars were powder coated, never stainless), interior panels, trunk panels, engine panels, oil cooler panels, kick strips, radiator shrouding, foot boxes, side vents, dash, fiberglass trunk trays on FIA 289s, and roll bars.

Most, if not all, cars were provided with provisions for a fresh air system to the driver’s foot box.

A few cars were sold with out interior panels
A few cars were sold with out roll bars

Early cars had fiberglass hood scoops
Some had no hood scoops
A few later cars had aluminum hood scoops

Some early cars, but very few, had throttle pedals installed

Some early cars but, very, very few of our cars were supplied with fuel tanks. It is even possible that all the tanks were returned as Shelby wanted to use fuel cells

For the most part, we have not sold Shelby: suspension, steering, brake and clutch system, seats, seat tracks, wiring harness, or differentials.

From what I have been told, Shelby cuts out the motor mount pedestals and welds in their own pedestals. I am unaware of any other frame mods they may have made. I am sure Kris Kincaid can tell us of any other mods they made to our frame.

Some of our suppliers are the same: Trigo, Autometer (Shelby uses his own CS faceplates) Moss Motors, etc.

Many of our suppliers are different. For example, Penske shocks, instead of Multimatic; Wilwood brake components, instead of Baer; KMS machining, instead of Accurate Machine.

There are several parts that we make and do not supply to Shelby. For example: seats, seat tracks, billet suspension, pedal box guts, differential housings, aluminum jack hooks, fresh air system, cold air box, fuel tank straps, etc

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tom,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

What is the typical wait time to get an aluminum car from you from the initail order?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Rsimoes,

Typically we can have a roller finished in 2-4 weeks depending on options. A car in a box is on the shorter end and an assembled roller is on the later end of the time frame.

We have devoted a lot of time lately to making the cars easier and faster to build for both us and the end customer.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 02-12-2005, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Quote:
We have devoted a lot of time lately to making the cars easier and faster to build for both us and the end customer
David, Tom,

I have found that your cars are much easier to assemble than the Shelby. Headers alone can save several hours of headaches.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tom and David,

Just curious, was there a particular original Cobra you used to get the shape of your FIA cars? At the SAAC convention last summer, I was talking to a guy that has a FIA rebodied CSX2--- street car that he claimed was the car used to take the measurements for the Kirkham FIA cars.

Thanks,

Mike