Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     
Default KMP running temperatures

What temperatures (water and oil) are folks experiencing in their KMPs?

Thanks

I'm no expert.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP/427co
Send a message via AIM to shaps Send a message via MSN to shaps
Not Ranked     

Lew, when moving, i tend to run 85*C water and 80*C oil pretty consistently when ambient temps are up to 85*F

In stop and go, it climbs pretty quickly with water heading up towards 100*C

Are you having over heating problems?
Shaps
Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My oil is about 90-100 and the water is about 95.

I'm no expert.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Lew, I run 80-85C oil and water when moving. I have been driving the car in high ambient conditions as recent as this past weekend and the water temp will climb into the 90s when sitting still. I know you have had shrouding added so your puller fan is even more efficient. I would think you might be a touch cooler. I run the fan anytime the car is below 30 mph on hot days. I have been waiting to see if I need some pushers in the front myself. I run an iron block and heads BTW. Remember too, that engines run hotter while they are getting broken in as they need to wear in, thus lowering friction, and thus lowering heat in return.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Mine runs so cool that on hot days I open the hood to refresh myself.

About 80C/water and oil when moving. I turn on fans (puller and two pushers) at low speeds and it's rare for the water to edge close to 90C even in 100F+ days. Oil can climb to about 90C if I'm pushing it in slow mountain fun roads, but that's a good temp for oil.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Funny you should mention this. I run water at 80 C while driving. Oil jumps to about 70 C, but then creeps up to 80 C if I drive for a while. In stop and go traffic, I can get up to 85 C for water and oil and this is in 90 F weather. I'm actually concerned my car is running too cool, especially the oil.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

My car runs way cooler than all of you guys are reporting.

Then again, it also doesn't have a motor in it .

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 07-01-2005, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those are some pretty reasonable temps. Is anyone running overdrive pulleys?

I'm no expert.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

I posted on this about one year ago, and things haven't changed since that time. I own KMP #174, a Southern SO, Al heads, Al WP, no trick pulleys, 160° drilled thermostat, a manually controlled "puller" fan with a shroud (www. coolingcomponentsinc.us.com Part #CC1-50.), and the classic 2 front pushers, also on a manual switch. I run about 65% water, 35% coolant, one container of WaterWetter (which I think is snake oil) and timing is 38° at 3200.

The fan and shroud required much modifying, including removal of the lower right hand corner of the shroud to get around the lower radiator hose, which itself needed to be replaced with a modified and shortened Gates #21856 hose. We also used some one sided sticky weatherstripping insulation to help seal the shroud to the radiator.

In the Houston heat (92-98°) and moving on the freeway, with only the "sucker" fan on, I see water around 85-88C. It runs noticeably cooler with falling ambient temps and is clearly related to the speed of the car. I can't remember my exact oil temps but I think they're around 85-90C, and not more than 100C.

When I'm in stop and go traffic, the water temp quicky rises to 100-105C, by which time I've switched on the aux pusher fans. With them on, the temp doesn't exceed 100C, but without them it can go to 110C or more.

I really would like to see a bigger radiator, but I'm sure how that could be done within the constraints of originality (which I value greatly). I would recommend that if you run a fan directly to a manual switch, you get a 30A relay. I'll be replacing my switch and putting in said relay this weekend! steve