Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By sportyworty
  • 1 Post By Igofastr
  • 1 Post By dlampe
  • 1 Post By xlr8or
  • 1 Post By sportyworty
  • 1 Post By Excaliber
  • 1 Post By sportyworty
  • 1 Post By xlr8or
  • 1 Post By sportyworty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile serial numbers

Do you guys have a Kirkham vin # with KMP and the consecutive # following. I have a vin 6P66cxxxxxx No MFG plate just what I beleive is a state issued vin. I did find a # 4 scribed behind the passenger front tire outside of engine bay. The owner stated it was # 4. David Kirkham stated that 2, 4, and 238 were all Black/Red. This car is first year mfg and David was confident it was # 4. I know where 238 is. David and I spoke a couple of times and now is difficult to get a hold of ? Is this typical of the busy man? I just want to be a Kirkham customer and enjoy the car with the rest of you. I was also wondering if they made a bumper jack lift like they did it in the old days. Oh and a brass hammmer. Thats guys I am really excited about the car
Midnight auto likes this.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyworty
Do you guys have a Kirkham vin # with KMP and the consecutive # following. I have a vin 6P66cxxxxxx No MFG plate just what I beleive is a state issued vin. I did find a # 4 scribed behind the passenger front tire outside of engine bay. The owner stated it was # 4. David Kirkham stated that 2, 4, and 238 were all Black/Red. This car is first year mfg and David was confident it was # 4. I know where 238 is. David and I spoke a couple of times and now is difficult to get a hold of ? Is this typical of the busy man? I just want to be a Kirkham customer and enjoy the car with the rest of you. I was also wondering if they made a bumper jack lift like they did it in the old days. Oh and a brass hammmer. Thats guys I am really excited about the car
Have you been calling David, or trying to reach him by email? I would suggest a telephone call, as the Kirkham web presence can be sporadic.

As for the quickjack, don't use them. They flexed into the body, causing damage in the old days, and will do the same today.

Welcome to the club, I'm envious of the deal you managed, and am curious about the evolution of the car. Mine is KMP 357.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"

Last edited by Igofastr; 09-19-2006 at 05:35 PM..
Old 09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply Ron. I have tried to reach David via his website and his members forum site and have a call into his receptionist. She stated his was involved in a project. This was last week. I will definately pass on the bumper jack ouch . I will continue to learn what I can about the car. Any thoughts on the brass hammer? Also curious how many cars were being produced each year understanding the volume has increased surely the last 5 years or so.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the family! I have 230x. It was the first FIA hybrid. Anyway, wanted to tell you that they have only built a little over 500 cars in the last 10 years. It is still a very rare automobile. I think that is what Tom K told me. You are a lucky guy. I wish I would have had the stones to hit the buy it now button. At that price it is money in the bank! Again, welcome to the family

Dean
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sporty,
I have KMP326. That receptionist was probably Mary Kirkham, David's mom.
If the early cars were consistant with newer ones you should see a KMP serial number stamped on the crossbracing between the front suspension near the drivers side horn mount and again on the drivers side door hinge on the bottom.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

As for the brass hammer, do you mean for the spin-offs? In that case, you need a lead hammer. And yes, you do NEED the lead hammer. I have a 5 pounder, but I think a 3 pound version would be enough.

I believe the Kirkham wedsite has a little information about the proper tightening of the spinners, and I would suggest you take a peek. Finally, you must use saftey wire!

As for getting ahold of David, I've heard that they are in the midst of a new "super secret" project right now, and he may very well be unobtainable. However, I've always found the Kirkhams to be very helpful with my car, and I didn't buy it from them. You might find that someone else in the organization can answer your questions is David is not around. Just tell them what your question is, and you'll likely be directed to someone who can answer it...doesn't always have to be David, Tom or Steve.

Good Luck!

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I really appreciate the replys fellas as I really needed to know for sure if this was the car Kirkham and I thought it was. Great news it is # 4. I found a #4 on the outside of the passenger engine panel (behind the front wheel), their is a #4 under the cowl inside the car near the passenger door hinge actually on the windscreen frame bottom. I have not checked the drivers door hinge yet as I forgot when I read the post this AM and the site was down when I got home from work. The following was stamped exactly where suggested on the drivers side x brace under the horn assembly 05 FEB 96 004 M. I found a web site cobra accessories that has the hammer (lead) thanks!. Also a member sold me a brochure and mailed it today. There have been a few changes from the Catalog like cobra emblems on the hood and deck lid as well as lift a dots for a tonneau. The car now has 1,490 miles and the title is the original issued 07/27/98. I guess Kirkham kept it for a couple of years as the title states 0 miles onn the odometer. The previous owners name was Neal Winberg. Well that is all I have found out so far. Again I appreciate everyones interest and support.

Kerry
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you are getting up to speed. Lead hammer is OK, I think the best is a Snap-On Mallet. It is plastic with shot inside, hit hard does not ding or rattle in the trunk. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, a very early Kirkham. I bet THAT one is a pretty accurate build.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I just happen to have the plastic Snap on hammer with the shot. It is the big one great idea thanks. I do not know just how original but the fit and finish is really good. Tomorrow I will start to look it over closer as it has been hectic since it made it home. The car has Edelbrock heads and the cold air box is the newer 1 piece that Kirkham makes. I found some info on # 8 a McCluskey Blue car which the owner stated was also a catalog car ? Now that I know what the car is I will move on to its intended purpose....driving it with the wifey! She loves it! This helps if you know what I mean
Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Enjoy the ride Sporty you got a great car.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, is cruizin Grand still going? The pic of your car is very tiny.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yep. Next Friday is the last one for the season.

If you scroll farther down there are some larger pics.

I may have a copy of the old Kirkham brochure with your car on it if you want it. Let me know if you do and I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by xlr8or; 09-22-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Old 09-22-2006, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like that brushed finish! If you could rustle up the btochure that would be great. Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I spoke with Mary Kirkham today and received a wealth of info. Mary obviously dots the I's and crosses the T's for the sons Kirkham. Mary remembers 004 and stated the above referenced vin was pre- Kirkham Motorsports therefore did not receive a KMP vin. Apparently the frames were stamped almost a year prior to receiving the first 4 completed bodies. She gave me the info on 1,2, and 3. David had three cars to push out this week and was very busy. They also did not have a brochure on hand, hello? I may receive ourfellow members kind forwarding of his prior to receiving payment tommorrow yet!!
Old 11-01-2015, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 005 427 fe
Not Ranked     

Hi Sportyworthy, I've been reading these old posts and have been trying to find out a little info on my Cobra KMP005 . I was told that it was the first of 5 made and that it might have been on the cover of a magizine / brochure .. I have tried calling and emailing Kirkhams but have gotten very far.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight auto View Post
Hi Sportyworthy, I've been reading these old posts and have been trying to find out a little info on my Cobra KMP005 . I was told that it was the first of 5 made and that it might have been on the cover of a magizine / brochure .. I have tried calling and emailing Kirkhams but have gotten very far.
Kerry has not been here since 09-22-2014,

I highly suggest you read the following before you resurrect another 7+ year old post

Newbies---read this!!!

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS