Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick,

Is there an option for analog odometer/trip odometer and a fuel lavel instead of a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC, 427 SO from the Fliptop
Not Ranked     

Do you mean mechanical odometer with rolling numbers? the rolling numbers of the mechanical odometer would demand the case size to triple from our very thin 1.5 inch thickness and these parts that drive these wheels are prone to longevity failures. For larger orders we can do this ....but at this time we are sticking to the LCD odometer trip display in the Speedo

Yes we can do a fuel level gauge to substitute fuel pressure if you like. You can call me at (801) 876-8222 to get more details or order
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel pressure gauge for fuel injection motors

Rick, I have two Kirkham 427 cars that I recently purchased (Delivered in October) I am using fuel injected motors and have discussed the gauge incompadibility with the Kirkhams. They are aware of my need and I will wait to hear from them however I could not resist to ask the question of you as to the avalibility of a higher pressure fuel display to accomodate fuel injection systems?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Murphy

You have two fuel psi gauges leaving tomorrow from Tom Kirkham that read 100psi.....thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thanks

Anyone who is reading this forum who does not own a Kirkham should take note of the superhuman customer service not to mention the most unbelievable craftsmanship of the Kirkham cars. I recommend you sell whatever you have of value and buy one. Hats off once again. Mike Murphy.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kirkham Engineering successfully implemented a product
durability test at a third party location on its gauges (and another competitor) using a shaker table that induces a 2G load at stepped multiple frequencies (HZ) and random burst loads in the laboratory environment and filmed the test with a High Speed video camera @ 1000 frames per second.

The trick, or art, was to run a random
test profile that represents the actual environment. Damage caused by vibration can be the result of either longterm
fatigue or short-duration exposure to high levels of vibration or stress

We left the test very very confident of our gauges and thier ability to hold a reading with out the needle bouncing all over the place. The video will be very revealing

Last edited by Rick162; 12-07-2006 at 09:49 AM..
Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Cobra re-creation based on Kirkham aluminum body and chassis, Original 1965 Ford 427 Side Oiler and Ford Toploader transmission
Not Ranked     

It appears that these gauges are very good however I see it as unfortunate that we continue to move further away from the original design of the car. The original post says that these have "the look and feel of the period correct gauges" which is not true. These gauges would be out of place on an original car. The previous Autometer gauges in the Kirkham car looked pretty close but after close inspection you can see that they are not correct for example they said "Made in the USA" which should not be there. These new gauges are a definite step away from the original look. I have no doubt that these are better gauges than the original Smiths but let's not try to redefine the original car and say that these gauges are made with the look and feel of period correct gauges when they are not. I think that as improvements are made that it is important to stick to the original look. There is an attempt to do that here but unfortunately for those like me that might be interested in a better gauge that keeps the original look this is a few steps further away from the original than the Autometers.

The objective at Kirkham has always been to build the most accurate replicas according to the original design but to explore opportunities for improvement. If this is a technological improvement that's great but let's just say that and not kid ourselves and say that these represent an original look.

Last edited by richsd; 12-07-2006 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In a lot of ways I agree with you.....There are some astetic tweaks we can do to get these a step or two closer. My goal... Perhaps the removal of the turn signal indicators and reduction of the height of the bezel and bringing the face of the smaller gauges closer to the glass,chrome the bezel. These are simple cosmetic adjustments for us.

I guess the question is ....what is more important to you? To have "an asteticly period exact look" or to have an accurate gauge (instrument )for your 30k engine.

Important Here!!!!!
What is the Gauge really telling you? when 210 degrees is Ok for your engine and 220 Degrees isnt. With a 30k Engine??????

If you are restoring an original car you probably want the Smiths. "If you want have gauges like we had you really need to disconnect two of the gauges altogether" (Phil Remington)

We are not trying to redifine the original car....95% of us are dealing with replicas and some manufactures are more correct looking than others, but remember after all they are not 1965 Cobras.

Autometer puts Made in the USA well......because thats the law.

Last edited by Rick162; 12-07-2006 at 01:23 PM..
Old 12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the idea of all the new gauges for the engine, since they work and the engines are expensive, but the Smiths for the tach and speedo. They have a step in the background of the gauge and mechanical odo and trip odo that I really like. Autometer painted that "step" in the background, but doesn't look as nice.

I like the idea of making them as close in appearance as you can, like you mentioned in your above response.

Last edited by rsimoes; 01-09-2007 at 05:07 PM..
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Cobra re-creation based on Kirkham aluminum body and chassis, Original 1965 Ford 427 Side Oiler and Ford Toploader transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick162
I guess the question is ....what is more important to you? To have "an asteticly period exact look" or to have an accurate gauge (instrument )for your 30k engine.
Good question and I am sure the answers will differ based on the purpose of each car. For me originality is important so if I had the choice between "period exact look" and improved accuracy, which I did, I would select the original Smiths gauges, which I did. I recognize the risk but so far so good. Ideally I would love to have a gauge that has newer technology behind the scenes but is refaced with an original face from Smiths. Until I can figure out how to make that work I am all original and driving with some level of risk. And loving it by the way.

Last edited by richsd; 12-07-2006 at 03:56 PM..
Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick162,

Could you post individual close up, clear pictures of each new gauge on here, so we can really see them more clearly? (including the fuel level gauge)
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure thing...I'll be traveling the next 48 hrs ....and will post as soon as I can
Old 12-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Any luck with the pictures?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am posting production pictures as these are the first that are coming up. We have several OEM Manufactures interested in gauges that we are trying to get out so bear with me as the final Pics of the gauge in the dash will be last posted.

We have made adjustments in moving the face of the gauge closer to the glass just as a note which helps in the older look style.

As you can see in this picture our gauges maintain state of the industry accuracy control through an on board processor in each gauge. Something you will only find in very high end gauges. We a giving a lifetime warranty on our boards and processors something you wont find at DELL

With other Cobra Gauges that are mechanical ,usually not expensive and pretty accurate over time, the teeth wear out and produce meter movement and the gauge tube begins to occillate, making the needle move around loosley under vibration and gives you a false reading under load.

Our gauges are all electric 270 degree sweep using stepper motors unlike the cheaper 90 degree sweep gauges using a offshore aircore canister meter movement that uses a inductive /magnitism to move the pointer. No circuits, processors nothing but cheap internals...found in other Cobra Gauges on the market today

[/IMG]

Last edited by Rick162; 12-13-2006 at 09:31 AM..
Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/IMG]

We are contract manufacturing our own boards and populating the board right here in Provo Utah. Not in China
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[/IMG]

Assembly in process