Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default A 428CJ in a Kirkham?

Is this considered "blasphemy"? Is it worth the cost of rebuilding and using a 428CJ in a Kirkham?

I'm soliciting opinions since I may buy a roller and I have access to a disassembled 428CJ shortblock. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Blasphemy? Lets not get too hung up on correctness. Most of the "427" cars shipped with 428's anyways. Really it all depends on what you want and the 428 is a good way to go.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Brent

From the Kirkham-specific sampling that I've seen on this site, it seems the prevailing wind is the stroked 427 S/O, whether it be an original or aftermarket.

The all-aluminum 482 seems to be a very popular choice and I'm wondering if building a complete 428CJ will get you relatively close in cost to a crate all-aluminum 482.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suppose it really depends on who's doing the building of the 428. FE's aren't cheap to build (believe me, I've had plenty of experiences paying the piper due to bad luck or bad builder or both). If the core is good, a good builder can get you reliable power out of it. The aluminum thing is not necessary and does cost more money. If you needed a new block and wanted a 427 S/O, well, then you're talking about equivelent money pretty much.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

428's fine, but we might give you some sh!t if you paint the block orange or something.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #304, Shelby Aluminum 482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Not a good idea because....

......someday you'll probably sell the car and the resale will suck. Several people have put something other than an FE into a Kirkham and the results have not been good. First, Kirkham does not make mounts for the 428 and as it is wider several things will need to be modified to get it to fit. It will need to sit higher in the frame. It's heavier. And once you get it in, money wise, it's worthless. An engine less Kirkham roller will sell for as much or more than a non FE equipped completed Kirkham. These cars are expensive and if you use something other than an FE you're going to regret it when you find out how little your car is worth after you complete it. Do some research on Cobra Country or elsewhere and you'll see what I mean. This question has been asked on the Kirkham website and Tom Kirkham felt the same way.

Chip
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBeck
......someday you'll probably sell the car and the resale will suck. Several people have put something other than an FE into a Kirkham and the results have not been good. First, Kirkham does not make mounts for the 428 and as it is wider several things will need to be modified to get it to fit. It will need to sit higher in the frame. It's heavier. And once you get it in, money wise, it's worthless. An engine less Kirkham roller will sell for as much or more than a non FE equipped completed Kirkham. These cars are expensive and if you use something other than an FE you're going to regret it when you find out how little your car is worth after you complete it. Do some research on Cobra Country or elsewhere and you'll see what I mean. This question has been asked on the Kirkham website and Tom Kirkham felt the same way.

Chip
The 428 is an FE. It'll fit fine, it is correct, as most originals had 428's. I think you're thinking of the 429/460's?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I agree with Brent...a 428 FE in a 427 S/C is assolutely proper if orginality is desired.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yup, I'll go with the flow on this one, 428 would be right at home.

429? No, not my cup of tea for a Kirkham.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

In my mind, it is the right moder...especially on the street. I had a 428 CJ built for my first Cobra, a Unique, it made about 500HP and was very easy to run, low maintenance. It also made great power on a road course and pulled through the complete power band. The CJ is a much better block than the SCJ.

Don't let anyone tell you you HAVE to have a 427SO.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A 428 is a great choice...

Back to that age old question about budget and driveability here it seems. I have had both a 428 and a 427 in the very same Mustang and loved both engines. The 428 was a fairly mild build intended to drive around on the street which did its job perfectly. When it came time (read I had more money) to go faster the 427HR was a screamer. Either way you can't go wrong with a FE built correctly.

Have fun...
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo, if not orange, how about a nice powder (pastel) blue?

My future decision may have just gotten more complicated. Besides having access to a 428CJ shortblock, I just heard that I may also have the opportunity to buy/build a 427 HR S/O. More money, but now I'm really befuddled.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

HR, HR, HR!!! Just dig a little deeper in the wallet!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #304, Shelby Aluminum 482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Mills
The 428 is an FE. It'll fit fine, it is correct, as most originals had 428's. I think you're thinking of the 429/460's?
Brent,

You're right, I stand corrected.

Chip
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber, I heard the HR intake gaskets are hard to find, plus I have no idea if it would all fit under the Kirkham hood. Is it streetable? A lot of questions to be answered. As mentioned above, the 428CJ is a very good street engine and a cheaper build. If I dug REALLY deep, then that 482 Pond aluminum engine from KC is an excellent modern piece of machinery.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Call Keith Craft

I bought the 482 pond fe from KC and I am so glad I did. Built right, fits right, works right, starts right up, more hp than a sane person needs. At the end of the game you are always better off to get the good stuff and not regret it later. Face it, the Kirkham is a new car made to look like an old car. New modern materials and technology, make the engine match.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

428 is fine. The great thing is you can do the 428, then when you get some more dough bolt in a big aluminium stroked 427. All the stuff will fit, same bellhousing, trans, linkage headers, plumbing, etc. No braner- get on the road.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Streetable with a BIG intake is always a tradeoff. Mine certainly is streetable, AND it gets about 10 mpg. Much of it being streetable is about the cam profile. AFTER I struggled to find some HR intake gaskets THEN I found several of them in various places (Murphys Law). There hard to find but not impossible.

It's pretty cool having a side oiler AND having the 'tall and terrible' rare HR heads. Makes for a great package.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I think you will find there were actually more 428 police interceptors installed in ACs than 427 side and center oilers. A 428 will easily develop over 425 pounds of torque in very stock form and in a 2500 car, you'll be able to get away from most stoplights quick enough without being too embarassed. heh heh.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know about 'more' 428's than 427's, a count would be interesting but difficult to nail down I suspect. Consider this: Shelby went with 428's due to a shortage of supply with the 427 and the much higher cost per unit. BUT, he only did that for a short while, returning to the 427 in spite of cost because of 'popular demand'. He started with 427's and ended with 427's. A smattering of 428's in the middle? Perhaps...