Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Toothbrushes are used to clean more than teeth! Just don't use this one again on your teeth!

"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

The hub bolt has to be perfectly clean as well! Just cleaning one side does not do much good.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Sandwich then takes a HARDENED structural washer and bores the center out to 1 inch to go over the shoulder on the hub washer. You have to use carbide tooling to cut the washer. The washer will just laugh at high speed steel.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

We like red loctite. I think they call it red because you will see red if you ever have to take it off! It sticks like mad. Maybe they call it red so you don't have to see red when your parts fall off if you forgot to use it.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Next,

Press the drive flange on. Put the new, hardened washer on the bolt and put in the hub bolt. Leave the stupid "lock tab thingy" OUT! Put it on the wall so you can impress your friends with your cool original Cobra parts.

Last edited by David Kirkham; 09-05-2007 at 07:30 AM..
Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Torque to 225 foot pounds.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Next bolt on the caliper with those special, cool bolts. Don't forget the washers!!! And, if you are doing the entire car, don't get the front bolts mixed up with the rear bolts. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Then, show people you care by making a nice looking job of your safety wire. We use 0.030 inch stainless safety wire. Notice the safety wire is run so that it will not allow the bolt to loosen. Also, notice the end of the safety wire. Sandwich was nice to the next guy. He curled the ends of the wire so whoever had to take the caliper off next didn't get 0.030 inch holes in his fingers.

Last edited by David Kirkham; 09-05-2007 at 07:31 AM..
Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Done!

Now we are going to show you some very interesting things in metallurgy on the front end.

But it will have to wait until tomorrow. I am going home right now!

David

OK, just a sneak peek.

Our alarm just went off on our computer controlled heat treating oven. By the time I got back there the temperature was 867 degrees--on its way down from 900.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

And here's a peek inside. CAREFUL!!! Those parts were just soaked 2 hours at 900 degrees and they are HOT!!!

Who knows what parts they are seeing inside? First correct person who names ALL of the parts that are in the oven gets a prize!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Bonus prize...

What alloy, heat treat spec, and WHY?

David
Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Front spindle shafts and rear drive knuckles... Couldn't answer on the alloy? Heat treated for maximum hardness and strength.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Front Stub axle- Front hubs and rear drive hubs. Did I win??
Old 09-03-2007, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

FIA-ERA

I am not sure what a rear drive knuckle is?

You are right, however on your next post. There is a rear hub, front hub, and a front axle.

You win the first question.

Bonus question?

Why do we have a front hub AND a front axle in the oven?

Still open--alloy and heat treat specs????

David
Old 09-03-2007, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Because you don't want a runny yolk? Good thread! Thanks for taking the time out to educate us.

John
Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,
This is very interesting as my wife owns a kiln that looks very much like the one in your picture.

Now I'm wondering how I can have some fun heathing up car parts. I have no idea how heating something up would benefit me, but it seems like a waste to let an opportunity like this pass by.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham
Mark IV,

I am a great fan of Colin Chapman. The more time I spend at the track the more I admire him. Lighter cars are much easier (and funner) to drive quickly. If, however, he was a fan of the upper control arm and the 1/2 shaft being the same piece, then I would strongly disagree with him.

David
Yes,

When "Chunky" was around in the early sixties, the halfshaft as control arm was "state of the art" but now seems crude.

"Adding lightness" was Chapmans mantra............

Of course AC used SLA cause the car they copied had it....otherwise, we might all have a Corvette type rear suspensin!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, Great post!! I always enjoyed books with pictures. I would think the front axles are matched with the hubs and keeping them together insures they get treated to the same temperatures as not to expand or contract differently? It seems there could be different variations in the metal strength and finished product if done separately? I'm not an engineer but I do like the late night questions. Thanks for your contributions!! Matt.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 & 289 (KMP 090 & KMPS 040) and need a Kirkham GT-40
Not Ranked     

David,
The front hubs and axles are placed in the oven at the same time to prevent delaying the next batch of chocolate chip cookies at snack time. Did I win?
Robert in Virginia
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Matt,

No...good guess, however. Are you sure those axles are "matched" to those hubs???

Look back through my post (including this one) and all the hints are there.

John,

At that temperature the yolk would definitely NOT be runny...

rbray,

The kilns may be VERY similar...we just tweaked ours to work like we needed it to with special thermocouples.

Robert,

900 degrees is a little hot for cookies. As a matter of fact, I think it would hard to be around that temperature as it would precipitate a lot of sweating...

David

Last edited by David Kirkham; 09-03-2007 at 09:05 PM..