Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or
Nah, I don't live in Jersey.
Neither do "Da Bunnies"

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam
Not Ranked     
Question So, what's the scoop David?

How come David hasn't responded in a significant way? The photoshop was funny but I'd love to know the real scoop.

Or, by not answering, maybe he was answering??

Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Gents,

Sorry, BUSY day!

We have not decided on pricing yet. I have customers crawling all over me on pricing right now. I guess we will have to make a decision soon.

Any suggestions? A Coupe is much more difficult to do than a roadster and we are trying to figure out how much more difficult right now.

Also, we are pondering 289 leaf spring chassis vs. our hybrid 427 chassis. If the car had a 351 on a 427 coil sprung chassis, the car would be phenomenal.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham
Gents,

Sorry, BUSY day!

We have not decided on pricing yet. I have customers crawling all over me on pricing right now. I guess we will have to make a decision soon.

Any suggestions? A Coupe is much more difficult to do than a roadster and we are trying to figure out how much more difficult right now.

Also, we are pondering 289 leaf spring chassis vs. our hybrid 427 chassis. If the car had a 351 on a 427 coil sprung chassis, the car would be phenomenal.

David
I remember a particular dinner with the Kirkham Bros in NYC during the 9-11 auto show auction when I made inquiries on doing a Coupe...they showed no no interest, they wanted to do a GT40. Now look what you've done.....

....GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

427 chassis all the way. Will an FE fit under that nose? Imagine a stroked, aluminum FE under that pretty skin.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

John,

I remember that dinner. That was a long time ago. Funny how time flies.

I imagine a 427 will fit...but, frankly, I don't know. I think my choice would be a stroked 351.

David
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Leaf-Spring Chassis Please!!!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaf-springs -- they get a bad rap. My leaf-spring Kirkham handles great. Shelby was able to race very successfully in the '60's with them. The cars just need the right springs. AC and Shelby knew what they were doing back in the day.

Don't alienate the purists!!!!

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Mike,

I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

We would certainly offer the car with both the 3 inch, leaf-spring chassis, and the hybrid 427, coil-sprung chassis.

David
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #492/ 427/482 Keith Craft. Simple, Clean.
Not Ranked     

Dave,

Sorry about posting that photo. It was my intent to simply show photos of my tour last week! Did not pay any attention to that 'peek-a-boo' view of the nose sticking out of the line.

Anyway, looks like there is LOTS of interest!

Al
Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Al,

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later...

David
Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Wow!!! I think that is going to generate some serious interest!!! Well done David!

Any guestimates on pricing?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Very, very impressive!

David,

A couple of questions... Was this splashed off an original? The SPFs and FFRs I've seen must have been "interpretations". The FFR has trouble housing anything other than a 351 with a low-rise manifold. Most FFRs are 302-based.

Are you planning a roller and a kit?

The car is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289, KMPS007
Not Ranked     

Ditto the comment Mike. The leaf spring car handles great.
With the original AC spring rates in the car, it is a dream.

The 4 inch chassis with the tubes spread wider would result in a different car. You wouldn't duplicate the center truss because it would be too wide. The coupe needs all the driver room you can get.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #492/ 427/482 Keith Craft. Simple, Clean.
Not Ranked     
Default Artisans.

Dave,

Quick note to say thank you to all of your team for the assist during the past month. Joe was GREAT and Tom provided a big assist today when I was speaking with Keith Craft re engine, etc. You guys are the very best. Responsive artisans....an oxymoron of sorts!http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif

As I sit here tonight, I am writing out checks for a mirror Kirkham 427 S/C and a Keith Craft Aluminum Side-oilier, spec'd withthe help of Joe and Tom! I am looking forward to delivery later this year of a REAL Kirkham.

Thanks again. Works of art. As to the Daytona, saving my nickels, after tax.

al
Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I think it would be another fantastic car built by the best company there is.
I would prefer a 427 to fit or, original small block. With the attention to detail like the Kirkhams 427 Cobra, a true tribute to the original is the way to go. But,.....with the new stroked 351 engine, it also would be great.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Brent,

We are bantering around $99,995 and $125,000 right now. I know that seems like a big spread, but we do not have all the numbers down and the dollar keeps sinking against the Zloty (Polish Currency). Also, one thing people never seem to realize is it is possible to lose money at both price points if there is not enough demand for the car at the particular price point. The tooling costs for the car are tremendous. It is an enormous gamble to launch a car like this.

Preliminary thoughts:

Car will only be offered as a high-end kit, fully assembled.
no engine
no transmission
Coupe specific engine parts will be in the package...exhaust, throttle linkage, cold air box, etc.
aluminum differential included
no paint will be offered
body filed, brushed, or polished
3 inch original chassis and leaf spring (Original 3 inch chassis and suspension will be an up-charge)
4 inch billet Hybrid coil sprung chassis.

CNGreen,

I too have heard 351's are a tight squeeze. We are still researching that one.

Bert,

Yes, the 4 inch rails would change things, but I think we can work around that. Considering our billet suspension is over 100 pounds lighter than the original suspension, we will most probably sell quite a few more Hybrids than original chassis type cars. That is the direction most of our customers want to go anyway. We have had SEVERAL customers want to jump into line and all (so far) have wanted the Hybrid chassis. I am sure there will be other original type customers along the way as well.

Al,

I am glad to hear you are happy with our customer relations! Just last week I walked over to Joe's desk and dropped a 6 inch pile of papers on his desk. I told him, "This is your problem now; deal with it!" I had to finally step away from sales--I was doing a terrible job! I had to free up time for new and exciting projects!

FUNFER2,

Thanks for the kind words! We are looking to see what motors will fit. I will let you all know ASAP!

David
BMK likes this.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Nice going!

Can't wait to see the completed prototype. As the others have said, this is definitely going to drum up some business. I had hoped that Shelby would offer the coupe again, but they passed it by as a 10-car limited outsourced edition.....and not even sure they have all been produced. Very glad to see your interest in the car, as the only Daytona to date with near perfect lines has been McCluskey's. No offense to the others mfr's out there, it's just a hard car to replicate, though I'm sure Dave & Tom will make the closest replica of such a beautiful car to ever pound the pavement. Looking forward to it!

- Bill -
Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

This is gonna be fun...

Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like the Skunk Works are alive and well.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

no offence , but a buck 35, that's real car territory. why not quit playing games abuild a metal street rod . Come in around $50k and you'll own the market.http://www.dearborndeuce32.com/http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...32&ppuser=9746

Last edited by mr bruce; 11-07-2007 at 04:16 AM..