Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

deleted duplicate post.

Last edited by RodKnock; 11-16-2015 at 03:52 PM..
Old 11-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfahrer View Post
From this thread and others, I've gathered that the Kirkhams are up to a couple hundred pounds lighter than others, can anybody offer a detailed breakdown of how? Their website says the following, but is not specific on how:

"Weight: From over 2400 pounds for a car with original style suspension, brakes, differential, top loader, 427 FE with iron block and heads to less than 2000 pounds with all of our lightweight options and an aluminum engine."

The ERA website, meanwhile, quotes 2600 for an Fe FE. I'd be curious to know if there's info like "alu frame saves XX, suspension bits ABC save YY," etc. I've done some thread searching, but not found many definitive numbers.
The ERA has a fiberglass body, the Kirkham body is aluminum and besides the billet aluminum suspension, the Kirkham comes with aluminum differential housing. My Kirkham weighed in around 2,100-2,150 lbs and that was years ago. I'm sure the Kirkhams have worked more of their magic since 2007.

I don't think I can recall an exact piece-by-piece weight comparison of a Kirkham versus another manufacturer.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:56 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Can I ask why you did not start a new thread instead of resurrecting one that was last posted on 03-17-2008, at 09:51 AM

Quote:
From this thread and others, I've gathered that the Kirkhams are up to a couple hundred pounds lighter than others, can anybody offer a detailed breakdown of how? Their website says the following, but is not specific on how:

"Weight: From over 2400 pounds for a car with original style suspension, brakes, differential, top loader, 427 FE with iron block and heads to less than 2000 pounds with all of our lightweight options and an aluminum engine."

The ERA website, meanwhile, quotes 2600 for an Fe FE. I'd be curious to know if there's info like "alu frame saves XX, suspension bits ABC save YY," etc. I've done some thread searching, but not found many definitive numbers.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BMW 330 ZHP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
The billet suspension is where the weight savings is over stock or original suspension, and other billet accessories...
Ok, that makes sense. Maybe the ERA site is quoting the Jag suspension in their 2600 lbs instead of their modified subframe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The ERA has a fiberglass body, the Kirkham body is aluminum and besides the billet aluminum suspension, the Kirkham comes with aluminum differential housing. My Kirkham weighed in around 2,100-2,150 lbs and that was years ago. I'm sure the Kirkhams have worked more of their magic since 2007.

I don't think I can recall an exact piece-by-piece weight comparison of a Kirkham versus another manufacturer.
Thanks for the rundown. Looks like the ERA body is about 350 total, but I can't find much on the Kirkham one. By comparison, CF is about 50 lbs.

Edit: looks like the Kirkham one is about 50 as well. Now I'm wondering if ERA's 350 is an apples-to-apples comparison or if it includes any frame pieces. Their site says "The average weight of a fiberglass replica body with interior panels can exceed 600 lbs." (ERA's is about 350 lbs)."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Can I ask why you did not start a new thread instead of resurrecting one that was last posted on 03-17-2008, at 09:51 AM
Sure. If you post a new thread when another one with the same topic exists, some people come out and say "Thread already exists here, search." I figure it's better to thread bump than to start a new one, because this way the information is all contained in the same place. Is it etiquette here to start new or bump?

Last edited by bmwfahrer; 11-16-2015 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 11-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since the Larry Ellison Kirkham Cobra build several years ago, for which Kirkham developed a plethora of billet aluminum parts, including offering billet aluminum brake calipers, the weight reduction has been ongoing. The billet aluminum brake callpers may be one of the upgrades I'll be thinking about if and when my Kirkham goes back home to the factory.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Since the Larry Ellison Kirkham Cobra build several years ago, for which Kirkham developed a plethora of billet aluminum parts, including offering billet aluminum brake calipers, the weight reduction has been ongoing. The billet aluminum brake callpers may be one of the upgrades I'll be thinking about if and when my Kirkham goes back home to the factory.
What year did they get billet calipers
Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Is it etiquette here to start new or bump?
You seem to have missed THIS FAQ post entitled "Newbies Read This"

When a thread is this old, some of the original participants may no longer be here, or with us in some cases. As such, a new thread would be in order, like this:

"I was reading THIS old post on weights and had an additional question"

In that way you have quoted the source, while asking for additional information to expand on it without dredging up an ancient thread in the process.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 11-17-2015 at 04:10 AM..
Old 11-17-2015, 05:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. Maybe the ERA site is quoting the Jag suspension in their 2600 lbs instead of their modified subframe.
The ERA, with an iron big block, but with all aluminum accoutrements, and the outboard braked rear, is going to be just about 2500 lbs. with a little bit of gas in the tank and the trunk empty. I don't think it's possible to get the weight down to some of the Kirkham numbers but, for most of us, it doesn't really matter.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I read about that build, fascinating engineering, and I'm glad that some of the processes trickled down. This must have been the impetus for a lot of that 200 lb weight savings. Do you know how much your car weighs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
You seem to have missed....
In that way you have quoted the source, while asking for additional information to expand on it without dredging up an ancient thread in the process.
Good points, mea culpa. I'd read that thread a while ago, but that piece slipped my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The ERA, with an iron big block, but with all aluminum accoutrements, and the outboard braked rear, is going to be just about 2500 lbs. with a little bit of gas in the tank and the trunk empty. I don't think it's possible to get the weight down to some of the Kirkham numbers but, for most of us, it doesn't really matter.
Ok, so the aluminum parts in the ERA save you about 100, then you could also go with an aluminum engine and some other bits to shave a bit more.

Summing this up, it looks like the Kirkham saves ~150 on the body vs the glass cars, and then the billet alu suspension, brakes, and other accoutrements account for another 100-200, depending on how extensivily those are implemented.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

When I say "all aluminum" on the ERA, that means, mostly, the engine. Intake, heads, water pump, flywheel, etc. should be aluminum to shave the weight. Short of tossing off one, or both, of my roll bars, there is very little I could do to lighten my 2500 lb. weight. Going to an aluminum block would be it. But remember, that's pretty much what the street 427 Cobras weighed back in the day.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I read about that build, fascinating engineering, and I'm glad that some of the processes trickled down. This must have been the impetus for a lot of that 200 lb weight savings. Do you know how much your car weighs?
My Kirkham weighs 2,138 lbs according to my paperwork and my Kirkham was delivered in late 2007. I've heard that the weight now is closer to 2,000 lbs, but that's speculative on my part.

The billet aluminum calipers are an option, I'm sure an expensive option, not standard AFAIK.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
When I say "all aluminum" on the ERA, that means, mostly, the engine. Intake, heads, water pump, flywheel, etc. should be aluminum to shave the weight. Short of tossing off one, or both, of my roll bars, there is very little I could do to lighten my 2500 lb. weight. Going to an aluminum block would be it. But remember, that's pretty much what the street 427 Cobras weighed back in the day.
Well, unless you are ERA2076.

Goodbye Kansas

He's building a small block but I think he anticipates getting down to pretty close to 2000 lbs - and chassis/suspension wise ERA FIAs are pretty much same as the 427 models.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I guess if you are totally into cutting weight, there is always a carbon fiber body. If I recall, the entire body including doors weighs less than 20lbs!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I guess if you are totally into cutting weight, there is always a carbon fiber body. If I recall, the entire body including doors weighs less than 20lbs!
I'm sure we all could loose 100 pounds by going on a diet...
Old 11-17-2015, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Great thread, thanks for finding it and asking your questions, I was trying to find this info (weights) a few day's ago.
My last Kirkham was at 2200 lbs, 427 side oiler, tko 600 with fuel.
It will be interesting to see what my new build will come in at.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Well, unless you are ERA2076.
Until a car travels at least once around the block, under its own power, it doesn't count.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. It's tough to get true apple-apple numbers, so that's useful to get those. Either way, it's a powerful car at a comparatively light weight when you consider that a new Corvette or M3 comes in 1000 lbs heavier.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I'm sure we all could loose 100 pounds by going on a diet...
Ya, I hope those seeking weight reductions for their Cobra have looked down and are able to see their feet. That would be my 1st cut at weight reduction.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ya, I hope those seeking weight reductions for their Cobra have looked down and are able to see their feet. That would be my 1st cut at weight reduction.
Too Easy with a polished Kirkham.

Ps. There's nothing wrong with being an overweight weight weenie.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Ps. There's nothing wrong with being an overweight weight weenie.
If you ignore the myriad of health issues that can develop because of being overweight.