Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I will admit and apologize for my "Rob anybody?" comment, which could have been interpreted as a little flippant. Sorry.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Jamo ~ sorry if I "stirred the pot", just thought I needed to say something.

fsstnotch ~ thanks.....Rob is a good guy!!

RodKnock ~ no problems......and you did not insinuate anything, I just thought I needed to chime in before anyone else did about Rob.

Thanks guys!!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Three Hail Marys and a small donation to Tin Cans Anonymous should suffice.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post

If you want to just gas and go, and never have to worry about ... get a Corvette ...

[Cobras] are brutal and unforgiving, with all the refinement of a medieval battle ax. Like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted ...

When you put that tiny silver key into the ignition, and begin your start countdown, your car will whisper "take me for granted, and I will kill you." [If you do, it will] ...

Pulling up in a Cobra Replica is like landing an F4U at an ultralite convention. ... these cars get more attention than a dead body in a parking lot ...

very, very few drivers want this kind of attention [or responsibility]...

Apologies to Sergio for chopping up his stuff. Chopping not withstanding, it really does sound like what we are all saying but with a little more poetic license.

Ed

... and of course there is always the fear factor associated with the what have my hands wrought sort of thoughts ...

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

I just took my grandson on a spirited ride tonight, and his reaction reaffirmed the value of #318 to me,Priceless.

Maurice Lawrence
Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's another "Rob" joke (related to Maurice's post) that could be inserted here, but out of respect to Rob, I'll lay off.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wait a minute, something strange going on here...

Who was the original author of Sergio's web site? I've read that before, right here on Club Cobra, posted a couple of years ago as I recall. I know who posted it, but now am not sure with whom the piece originated. It's such a wonderfully written piece it seems a shame to not give credit where credit is due.

http://www.cobra4me.com/

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-06-2008 at 01:02 AM..
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 434, Paxton blown
Not Ranked     

If I recall correctly, it was Hal Copple.

Mike
Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

Hey a little off topic guys!!!!!! Anyway, 4 months to go until I get my Cobra. Hopefully I'll like it
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
Hey a little off topic guys!!!!!! Anyway, 4 months to go until I get my Cobra. Hopefully I'll like it
Naah, you won't. People stare at you, you smell funny after you drive it, you pi$$ a lot of dough away on it, you ought to just send it back now....
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I definately know a Vette is not me. I drove my dad's 2005 and felt like I was in a submarine. To low for me. I have a 2003 Cobra vert with a Bassani exhaust and love driving it. However, my favorite car thus far to drive was my twin turboed 81 Stang. I felt high like I could see everything it was quiet and fast. Too bad it got stolen
chris
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, it WAS Hal that originally posted that little ditty about owning/driving a Cobra.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Mike, it WAS Hal that originally posted that little ditty about owning/driving a Cobra.
Some of the best stuff I've ever written is stuff that other people wrote first....
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

I think you're right but I don't have proof. A few words from Hal could quickly solve the mystery. Hal are you listening?

It is a great description though ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Compaired to what I've got in my build (about $106k) all the used Kirkhams I've seen were no real bargain.

Mine has about every option except remote shocks, Alumimum Shelby w/ Mass flow, stainless frame, ect. ect.

Not to mention every single component is new, not rebuilt/used.

Barring the current economic slump, the Kirkham is a bargain at the current pricing and buying during the specials right now yields another $9k saved...

I have no doubt after enjoying the car for five years I could sell it and put $20k+ extra in my pocket.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ronbo,
I don't see you getting over 100 for your Kirkham despite what you have in it. Rob had that in his and got 88. I think you went over the top with your build. Obviously, that is fine since that is what you want and you enjoy it. Getting the money back is a different story. Most people just want a running dialed in car. All the extra options do not appear to be yeilding more cash
chris
Old 05-10-2008, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

I can't comment on Rob's situation as I don't know the story there. The cars I've seen for sale were not full optioned and considering the rather narrow market (less than 600 cars purchased in 12 years) you can't expect to find a buyer next week.

I looked at a lot of cars for almost a year, never finding the "right" one. When I came to the realization that I probably never will, I ordered a new one. What it would have cost me to update any used car I saw to the build I wanted would have cost me more that what I paid for a new one. (if it was even possible)

Kirkham still has yet to raise their prices like Backdraft and Superformance but it's comming. I won't disagree that current economic conditions are resulting in "Toy dumping" but I'm not in that situation myself.

When it comes to the Kirkham you may have a dozen people in the world that: A - Want your build and B - Have the money.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rob had a keith craft alum 600 HP build. He also had a tremec 5 speed and pretty much every Kirkham option including their rearend. He had $130,000 in his. He got $88,000. Did he dump it too quickly? No not really he listed it three times on Ebay as well as elsewhere. I guess he didn't wait 6 months to find his buyer. Anyway, like you I don't need to dump my car and probably never will. As I've said before I didn't want to waste money on crazy options though. Because should I sell it I don't think there will be a return
Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ronbo, that is the number one reason for buying new. Some have asked why should I buy new when the market is so attractive for used? It's virtually impossible to find a used one with the specs and color you want. I came pretty close, but it's not exactly the way I would have ordered it. "Pretty close" is as good as it's going to get when you go used.

Sure you take a beating on resale, like everybody has and will in the future with any custom or hot rod car built 'their way'. There's hardly a custom car on the market that you could expect to get your money back on, ANY custom car. Stang, souped up ricer, 57 Chevy, you name it. Nothing's changed, it's still the same game.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There were two Kirkhams that were sold on the Kirkham website. They sold for $105,000 and Al at Thor just sold his for $109,500. The polished finish alone, which most of the Kirkhams now come delivered according to Kirkham, is $14,000. That's a big hunk of money. Add the the two brushed stripes and that's another $2,000 for a total of $16,000 if you want that finish. The costs add up in a hurry.

ng, you continue to talk about wasting money on crazy options. Not everyone feels this way. I don't.