Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum 427 S/C with KC FE 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Dropped Footbox -

I have got a question in regard to the dropped footbox.

Being fairly tall I felt when sitting in the Kirkham with standard footbox that my subjective impression said: This is not what would really be enjoyable to me - Though the car will? of course be......

My present Cobra is very spacious inside once compared to the Kirkham and so I am wondering how much additional room is obtained once I opted for the dropped footbox (Kirkham webinfo says several inches - this could be 2 up to ?)

Also wondering if any of you have found other ways to increase space on drivers side via:

- Installation of seat without seat tracks
- Any seats recommendable which are less space intense in the area of the
wheel house?
- Wheel house modification so that seat can be mounted further back
- Modyfication of Kirkham seats
- Anyone tried installing a steering wheel with 14`diameter? Does this help?
- Any other modifications (except shrinking)

Last but not least: Anyone got an idea how much difference in space is relevant once comparing the 289 with the 427?

I shall be very thankful for any comments / advice!

Carsten
Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

Why don't you email Joe at Kirkham directly. He can any questions. He has been very helpful with me
chris
Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     
Default alot of room

I got the dropped foot box, no seat tracks and had the rear inner fenders relieved to push both seats back further. that was my main concern just
fitting in a cobra(getting knees under the dash) mine fits perfect.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC427 View Post
Being fairly tall I felt when sitting in the Kirkham with standard footbox that my subjective impression said: This is not what would really be enjoyable to me - Though the car will? of course be......
I had the same concern when designing my ERA. But remember that both ERAs and Kirkhams are esentially "hand-made" cars. When I flew up to have Doug at ERA measure me (including my Fred Flintstone-like feet), he was able to whip up some mods so that I fit perfectly in the car (and I'm 6'4"). I have no doubt that if you are 6'5" or below the Kirkhams will be able to fit you well. But do yourself a favor and fly up there and get measured while you talk with them. Everybody does not have their height in the same places, and that's important when having your car fitted to you.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

I did all of those mods. I think that the dropped box allows the pedals to be moved further forward as well. I removed padding from my stock seat, but eventually went with a Kirkey Vintage seat bolted to the floor. The Ken Miles seat would work for this purpose as well. I have an extra one that I'd be willing to sell.

On the steering wheel issue, clearance for legs is not an issue once the other mods are done. I actually bumped up to a 16" wheel and found that it made the cockpit "feel" more roomy since my arms could hang more naturally from the shoulders rather than squeezing in as you need to do for a 14" or 15" wheel.

I am 6'4", 245lb and have plenty of room.

I'm no expert.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Tall Cobra Drivers
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442 View Post
And it is universally recognized that tall Cobra drivers are not only better looking Cobra drivers but they are smarter and funnier as well.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum 427 S/C with KC FE 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Let me thank all of you for the supportive advice! Really helpful.

Now will need to do my part of the "homework"..............#

Carsten
Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

I swapped out the normal Superformance seats for Kirkey Drag seats. They suit my needs better. The net result is 2-3 inches of leg room gained and you sit 2-3 inches lower in the cockpit especially if you bolt directly to the car. You can sense the car's movements better in my case. If you like a bolt upright driving position (as we do) then you gain even more legroom.

If you want the original look, this is of no value to you.

I would spec a bigger foot box and keep the seat change as a back pocket option.

Ciao,

Vince
Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Are we that Soft. ?

I'll probably get some heat for this, but aren't "we" getting too soft ? I'm
6'-6", when I owned CSX 3183,I weighed at least 230 at times, bought it when I weighed 210, sold it at 210.

Anyhow, I never had a problem fitting in the car, had plenty of room for my legs and size 14 feet ! All original, no modifications, I was able to find a sweet spot for my left foot, for long trips, up towards the upper corner of the foot box.

Made many trips, from Ft. Laud to Orlando, and once to Sebring. Yes I was tired, hot, dirty and sore, but it was WORTH IT ! EVERY minute was a joy.

So for me to hear guys complain that there's no room,I find it hard to believe. Now if I was racing it, more room would be nice, but hey SUCK IT UP.

You ain't driving a soft cushy Vette.