Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Polishing aluminum w/ a cyclo

For those with polished cars, have you noticed that using a cyclo and fleecewraps (from Tom - PerfectPolish) and Nuvite can leave a few small swirl marks in the finished product?

I'm using his technique to polish some of the panels in my FFR (trunk, firewall) and they come out outstanding, except in direct sun i can see a few defects ; more under a hallogen light. Always in the final 'S' polish stage, and always from the cyclo (because if I hit them again they move to another spot on the panel).

Any tips for the final 'S' stage polish? I figure people who've done this on an entire car must have developed a flawless technique. Like if you use too much 'S' it may leave a few marks behidn? etc... etc... =)
Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 557
Not Ranked     

I found the Cyclo to be quite a handful and it produced the results you described. So, I went over mine by hand in an attempt to remove the more conspicuous spots. That seemed to help.

Regardless, the sun reveals more flaws than you'll see with regular flourescent lights, and I'm not convinced that all the work in the world will ever remove all defects that are apparent under regular sunlight.

I polished mine last April and now need to redo it.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I had asked Tom from Perfect Polish about an alternative to the cyclo and he offered up another polisher that had a number like "7242" (that's not it), but was easier to use. He did not comment on whether it could do a better job than the cyclo, but I may try it. I think I have the correct buffer number somewhere in my files.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby 40th Anniversary Polished Shelby 427 alum 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Smile Cyclo

After 3 years I finally realized that that LESS S is Best, my 1/4 lb jar will last 4 years and I do my car every April and September. Also another method that helps is changing the fleece wraps more often (pain) to avoid residual build up. Change both wraps for each panel. When done wipe residue with 2 MICRO FIBER CLOTHS one with a little (very little) WINDEX without amonia any then use dry cloth for final luster. Nuvite also has a liquid polish as a finish coat that can be using the Micro Fiber Clothes. After all of that you will have a better job however bright sun with humitity will still annoy you, just not as much. I hope this helps a little. Have Fun and a Happy Holiday
Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4343 View Post
After 3 years I finally realized that that LESS S is Best, my 1/4 lb jar will last 4 years and I do my car every April and September. Also another method that helps is changing the fleece wraps more often (pain) to avoid residual build up. Change both wraps for each panel. When done wipe residue with 2 MICRO FIBER CLOTHS one with a little (very little) WINDEX without amonia any then use dry cloth for final luster. Nuvite also has a liquid polish as a finish coat that can be using the Micro Fiber Clothes. After all of that you will have a better job however bright sun with humitity will still annoy you, just not as much. I hope this helps a little. Have Fun and a Happy Holiday
Ya know, I think that less is more has been my problem on the final step - usually i would use a fingerprint worth of S every 3'', but when I started going 6'' I got out most of those funny marks that would travel around the panel.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've done a bit more polishing using 6'' instead of 3'', and it's funny because every single time the panels come out picture perfect, whereas before it was a crap shoot..... sometimes perfect, sometimes random swirls all over

I wish I could explain why, spacing the 'S' every 3'' makes ranodm swirls appear all over, but 6'' makes a perfect finish. I know less is more, but that's just really strange!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Having a brushed finish allows me the time to read threads like this about how to maintain a polished finish.

Yes, I'm lazy.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Having a brushed finish allows me the time to read threads like this about how to maintain a polished finish.

Yes, I'm lazy.
Why do you think I converted to brushed finish on the engine?

You polished Kirkham guys are a rare breed. I don't have your patience.

-Dean
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, if you're truly lazy, have some extra money AND have a polished finish, you could hire someone to maintain the polished finish for you.

There's some polishing guru in the Bay Area that charges $125/hour if you can believe that.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Heck, there's some ladies in North Beach that'll give you a polish job cheaper than that...at least they look like ladies.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The polish guru in the Bay Area is recommended by Tom at Perfect Polish.

Jamo, I think you mean the Tenderloin, not North Beach. It may have been North Beach in the 1960's and 1970's, but it's more of family-oriented area of the City now.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Dude...I have clients in North Beach. Make it West Hollywood if you'd like.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry. My apologies. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Dude...I have clients in North Beach. Make it West Hollywood if you'd like.

All this talk of polish jobs, clients and seedy parts of town. Who is polishing what Jamo?

I have heard that a 50/50 mix of S and Meguiers Hot Wheels Alloy/Mag polish is a good way to get rid of the swirls in the final stages of polish. The cyclo is a pain to master. You can use the black pads with the satin bonnets covered with the wraps. I have heard of others that use the wool mini pad bonnets under the wraps. Cleanliness is key.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Sorry. My apologies. Happy New Year.
Hehehe, no worries...my sense of humor is an acquired taste. Only person with a bit more weirdness than mine is a guy named David that lives in Provo. Arruminum dust has infected his brain.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #492/ 427/482 Keith Craft. Simple, Clean.
Not Ranked     

ROd,

I have developed some oxidation on the Kirkham and want someone who is experienced with aluminum polishing processes to handle it. You mentioned a referral from Tom at Perfect Polish?

Thanks!

AL
Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpace@pacificp View Post
ROd,

I have developed some oxidation on the Kirkham and want someone who is experienced with aluminum polishing processes to handle it. You mentioned a referral from Tom at Perfect Polish?

Thanks!

AL
Al, I'll get the name for you in the morning, since it's in a file at work. Tom at Perfect Polish said he's the best, but he also charges a super premium rate, at least when I last inquired. I haven't used him, since I thought when it become time to touch up the car, I'd give it a shot. Obviously, the economy may have moved his rates lower. He was located in the East Bay, but would make house calls.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Talking

Keep in mind where Kirkhams come from, you need to hire a Polish polisher to do it right!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpace@pacificp View Post
ROd,

Thanks!

AL
Al, PM sent. I also emailed you.