Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #113, 482 aluminum FE 601hp
Not Ranked     
Default Saturdays' Run

Hey, for all of you that didn't make the run on Saturday to Lake Mead and the Valley of Fire, we had a great time.

We met at the Boulevard Sports Bar for breakfast. Sheldon & Jackie got there just after Tammy and I arrived. Ken & Sandy and Terry & Barbara arrived shortly after that. We had a good breakfast and conversations about other things than cars, since the women were there. At about 9:30 we left for the run. All except Sheldon and Jackie. They now have a new play toy. Cobra, boat and shifter kart aren't enough. Now they have a horse, so they had to go meet with the trainer, so Sheldon could get some pointers. Sheldon, when do you have time to work?

So we left with two Superformances and one ERA. We traveled down I-215 past 95 to Lake Mead and Boulder Highway. Topped off the gas tanks and headed for the Ranger station just past Lake Las Vegas. After paying the $5.00 fee to enter the park, we turned left and headed for Overton. This road is nice and windy with some grade changes. Just as we started getting into the road I made a turn around a small hill and found myself following a Park Ranger vehicle. Oh well, back to the 45 mile speed limit. We followed his for about five miles where he made a turn towards the lake and we proceeded on. Within a short time we were back up to cruising speed. I guess that "might" have been a little more than the posted limit. We stopped a few time to change leaders so each could have a different perspective of the group and the road. Made a right turn at Echo Bay for a "10-100" and a view of the marina. That was a nice short break and gave a little more time to out "BS" each other. Then back on the road for the next stop at Stewart's Landing. The road was a bit rough in places so we hopped around some turns. At the junction of Valley of Fire and Overton we chose the route through the Valley of Fire. This has beautiful red rock mountains and canyons that is a sight to see. There is one canyon that the road passes the Visitor's Center and travels north through a narrow canyon and ends at a small parking lot with covered picnic tables. A perfect place for a lunch stop. We each brought a full lunch spread that resembled a complete catered affair. After our appetites were satisfied, conversations were complete and a desire to continur was voiced, we packed up the lunch spead and headed back though the canyon to the Vistor's Center.

Up until that point in time, the day had been great. Good cruising, good food, good scenery and good company. That's when a few things changed the mood. As we got ready to leave, Terry' car wouldn't start. Had to borrow a set of jumper cables from a Canadian that was in the parking lot to get it started. OK those things happen. But then, as we are approaching the I-15 for the last leg of the day, The Moapa Indian Police stopped Ken for allegedly going 50 in a 35 mph zone, even though Ken was only going 35mph. He knows he was only going 35, because we had just past a cop giving someone else a ticket. So we made sure we were in the limit for the last 1.5 miles to the highway. No arguing with the Indian Police, they want their money....$75.00 worth. We stopped for gas at the gas station/fireworks stand and guess what......Terry couldn't start his car agian. After another jump it stated and we were off down the freeway towards Las Vegas. We all live on the northwest part of town, so we exited the I-15 for the North 215 beltway. With traffic we got separated quickly. However, by the 215 and Lamb Terry's cobra was slowing, pulled over and stopped with no power. Ken was well in front of us and was unaware of the trouble. Tammy and I were "tail-end Charlie" for this last leg and stopped to assist Terry and Barbara. After assessment, we called AAA to give them a tow back to their house. An hour later they showed up. A half hour after that we were on the road once again. One Cobra on a flat bed and one driving behind. At their house we off-laoded the cobra into the garage, said our good-byes and headed home.

The day started of at 8:30am and ended about 6:00pm. Although we had a few issues toward the end of the day, overall it was a great adventure. We are looking forward to the next trip. Maybe to Mt. Charleston.

Who ever else is interested in going on the next run contact me here or my e-mail at shatcher.hcc@eatrthlink.net.

Scott and Tammy
Old 03-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you guys had quite a full day. Too bad about Terry's car although it doesn't sound very serious.
Looking forward to Mt. Charleston that's always an adventure this time of year.

The horse seemed to do just fine until he decided to step it up a notch. I stayed on but now my fingerprints are permanetly embedded in that horn on the saddle. Got to figure out how to work those brakes a little better.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

It was truly a great cruise right up to the last few hours! ST, you missed a great time, I'm looking forward to Mt. charleston soon...
Scot, I saw you guys pull off at Lamb, but I was hoping maybe Terry lived there and could make it. And later I realized I took the jumper cables instead of leaving them with Terry!!! What a dummy I am!

I was a little bummed out over the ticket; "fortunately" it is only a civil penalty, no points, etc...that's the scam, if you make a big deal over it, they turn up the heat so hot you can't stand it, sorta like pleading no contest on child molestation vs. going to court and maybe ending up in prison...what a choice! Well, not quite that bad!

Anyway, got some news on the shirts etc. Scott, I will call you today to discuss, if we want something by Knotts we have to act fast.

Later,
"Not Guilty" Ken
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ST,
Glad the day went well with the horse. So when do you buy the english saddle, britches and whip and start steple chasing?

Ken,
Sorry about the ticket. It somewhat soured the end of a good trip. Let's order those hats and shirts today. Call me.

Scott
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Funny how the Superformance's can't keep running while the ERA's just run too fast.
Way to go Ken!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, the trusty ERA gave Terry's Superformance a jump the first time...gotta take care of the "new" kids, don't we...;-)
So, what did Terry find was "rong"? I'm betting it is the voltage regulator...

Scott, ya know, I'm getting a REALLY scary big, wide-screen, technicolor mental image of ST in riding breeches with a quirt (no doubt he and Jackie already had the quirt...is that where the idea for the horse came from? The horse is a front for something else, maybe?)...ST, we want some video (of you and the horse, of course)...
Old 03-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken, the whip isn't used quite as much as the big new shovel I had to buy.
Anybody need some fertilizer?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is there a black leather jacket and handcuffs that go with the whip?

I'm in agreement with you ,Ken, it's the voltage regulator or the MSD box. My MSD box quit on the jeep. Either because it was faulty or too much heat in the engine compartment. Replaced it and has run very well since.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We need to handcuff ST to the horse so he can stay on for more than 8 seconds. Actually, that's what the girls at Sherri's said, too. Say, Sheldon, maybe if you put the kart seat (with a five-point harness) on the horse (and the saddle on the kart...Elizabeth and her daughters said you don't drive it fast enuff to need a racing seat anyway), maybe you'd feel more...secure?
Hey, let me have your email addresses so I can send this info on the caps/shirts/jackets. Let's discuss...
Old 03-27-2006, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll let ST borrow my HANS device so he can keep his head looking forward so he knows where he's going.

Ken, e-mail me at shatcher.hcc@earthlink.net regarding the hats etc.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can't wait to get both your a$$es on the horse and see what happens.
Don't worry Scott, I'll ask Tammy's permission first to make sure she'll LET you ride. You only broke a rib on the kart, this should be good.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just reach in, pull 'em up and let 'er rip.