Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Showing up at car shows

Hey guys I know I'm still new to the group. I have been to two car shows and have participated in both of them.Some how the cobra group is starting off on the wrong foot maybe, with the car shows. This last one at Charlie Holder's in henderson. I was told by the person putting it on (greaser 1). That they are alittle upset that the cobra's show up to the events and want to drive into the show and not pay.This was brought up when I told them that some other cobras would attend later.I guess there was a Veteran car show and several cobras showed up and parked and didn't pay to attend the event.I just wanted to let the group know that they are frowning on us if we kept doing this .I don't want the group to get a bad name.Showing up and parking in regular spots and walking around is cool it is just parking in the show that upset them.
James
Old 04-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts 302 HO
Not Ranked     

I help our "Better Hometown" committee run a car show each year. This is our big money raising event for our small town of 5,000 people. We expect everyone to pay, whether you are entering your car or just walking around looking. Not paying is not good.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I never have understood the concept of the local in the park type car shows. Car owners spend lots of bucks on cool cars making them look great. They then pay an entry fee to show off their car. The public that comes to look at the cars usually get in free. This logic would seem to indicate that at the movies the actors should pay to be in a movie and the public should get to see the movie for free.

Dick
Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

Most car shows are fund raisers for the group putting it on.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I understand the fundraising aspect! What I don't understand is why the ones providing the entertainent (cars) should be the ones paying rather than the ones being entertained (public).

Dick
Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv
I understand the fundraising aspect! What I don't understand is why the ones providing the entertainent (cars) should be the ones paying rather than the ones being entertained (public).

Dick
If you want the public to pay, you would have to have a secure site with controlled ingress so everyone would pay to get in. Now you have the overhead of that type of facility (vs. a free parking lot or a park). Those types of facilities cost thousands of dollars to rent.
Besides, we like to show off our cars and talk to the public about them. If you charged people to look at them, you'd be suprised how few people would show up.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jwd I agree with you 100% and enjoy taking my car to the informal shows were you can talk to other car nuts and the public as a whole. Many of the coolest shows around here don't charge anyone and will just put out a donation pot for some local charity.

I just find it interesting that the ones providing the entertainment are the ones paying.

Dick
Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I remember going to the historics at Lime Rock in CT. It was Shelby day and I drove the SPF up there and I got in and parked at the S turns for free. It was the public that payed.

There is also a local show called Lead East. The public pays, not sure about the cars.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I've paid a few times to enter a show. Usually got a t-shirt and goody bag, etc... Even got a couple of trophies. It was fun, but the novelty wore off after a while, and I'd just rather drive my car, than hang out at car show from dawn to dust. For me, I'd rather go to a car show to see the cars (arrive and leave when I want to).
Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

Our local car club puts on a "cruise" on Fathers day. It is a fund raiser for local charities..good cause. What is $20-25 and get to show off your toys. old saying"give till it hurts"...my version...."GIVE TILL IT FEELS GOOD"
Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 1022-BOWTIE
Not Ranked     

If you have a 30K to 50K or more $$$$ Cobra what is $10 to $25 to enter a car show. If one person pays everyone should pay.

I have been to a couple shows it is really not for me.

What i really enjoy are the 5pm to 9pm cruise in.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg
I've paid a few times to enter a show. Usually got a t-shirt and goody bag, etc... Even got a couple of trophies. It was fun, but the novelty wore off after a while, and I'd just rather drive my car, than hang out at car show from dawn to dust. For me, I'd rather go to a car show to see the cars (arrive and leave when I want to).
Ditto. The first couple are fun, but you end up tanking the whole day when you commit as a participant. I've got too much other stuff going on right now (plus the time requirement to prep for these events can be steep). Maybe someday when the kids are all grown up and out of the house I will do more shows.

-Dean