Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 427
Not Ranked     
Default New update on registration?

I am going to purchase a Cobra, and wanted to know what is the status of the registration in Nevada. I have read the prior comments, and am wondering if anything new has come about? I have several older cars, 67 and two 70's, and register them as classic vehicles, and never have them smogged. Has this been tried for the Cobras? Thanks for the anticipated help. Brian
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 427w
Not Ranked     

Welcome Brian. Depending on who you talk to you'll get different stories. Nevada has a Replica Registration process similar to California's SB100 process. To be perfectly legal, this is how you should proceed. If it is a newly constructed vehicle that has not been titled or registered this is your only option. If, however, the car has a valid title and current registration you may be able to just register your car in Nevada as if it was any other vehicle you own.

My car was registered in Arizona as a '65 Ford Cobra. I had no problems registering it here. Just walked into the DMV, handed them my title, AZ registration, wrote them a check and walked out ready to go. No questions ask. I didn't even take the car.

You might want to come out to Car's & Coffee on Saturday and talk to some of the other Cobra guys and hear about their experiences. You may pick up some pointers on what to do or what to avoid as you go through the process.

Hopefully some others will reply to your post with some more current info.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Where is the Cars and Coffee in Henderson? We visit my daughter very often and are there on Saturdays. Will give me an excuse for not doing "Dad" things on the townhouse.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug. Thanks for the invitation, and I look forward to meeting you. I have read the DMV page and see nothing about this exception. Do you know where the materials would be located? I will come out on Saturday to meet the group. Brian
Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 427w
Not Ranked     

rokndad, it's at 9500 S Eastern Ave in the Sansone Park Place. On Eastern between the 215 and St. Rose Parkway. Site & Map here: http://lasvegas.carsandcoffee.info/directions.php

Brian, not having gone through that process myself, I don't know. The cars that I've been a part of have all been registered in AZ and then registered later in the state where they reside. Note that at the time I registered mine any police officer could sign a form to verify the VIN number on the vehicle. I don't think that's allowed now. The VIN # will have to be checked at the DMV.

I would call Carson City ((775) 684-4368) for specific information. They may be more knowledgeable than the local offices. There is a form on their website for specially constructed vehicles you will have to complete. Here is the link to that form: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/rd64.pdf

See ya tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #113, 482 aluminum FE 601hp
Not Ranked     

Brian,
I bought my Cobra used from a guy in Idaho four years ago. Had some trouble registering it here in Nevada but did get it done. Because it had a 1965 427 FE engine I did get it registered smog exempt. However, each year the registration came, it stated I needed a smog check. So each each I have been going done to the Sahara DMV, talking to them and getting the smog exemption and re-registering the vehicle.

This last time (November 2008) I re-registered under the Replica Law and now I will not have to deal with going down there any more. I am registered under #68 of the 100 they will issue. The law staes that there are 100 per year, but DMV is interpeting this as 100 total!

Come to Cars and Coffee tomorrow and we can discuss this further.

Scott
Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

I registered mine under the exemption as well. I have a new SPF (well, 6 months old now) and the process was relatively painless, but it did take longer than I expected.

First, I went to the DMV with the car and paperwork. Make sure and bring receipts for the roller, engine and install. They specifically asked for each including engine and transmission serial number. They got this info from my receipts (not sure about tranny number, but they seemed to take what I had).

With a new car (SPF) they had to put their own number on the car, which they did with soem sort of machine on the front cross member inside the engine compartment and then put a plate over that. This was done at the drive-up outside. I will say that they were very professional and careful when doing this. The lady then gave me paperwork that I was to take to a certified inspection station. I went to the DMV on the north side of town (Farm Rd) adn there is a certified inspection place just down the street. They were great, went through the form, asked questions, signed off and sent me on my way (no charge, but I tipped the guy anyway).

I went back to the DMV inspection area, gave the lady my paperwork, she signed it and sent me inside. She even let me leave my car under the inspection awning and kept an eye on it. It was June and very HOT.

Inside was easy. I asked the lady for the replica form at the initial contact point and she logged the number into the computer. I was 50-something. The next stop was the long wait for a DMV rep. That went easy as well, but she asked for precisely what she needed with regards to paperwork and she knew what she was doing. She asked specifically for the bill-of-sale, then the engine paperwork and then the install invoice. The lady outside also knew exactly what to "code" as, which is why, I think, the lady inside asked the specific questions.

I had really expected to have to explain more, but I think they must have had some sort of memo on these types of cars. I have to say, it was much easier than I expected, but I sure didn't get out of paying the taxes or registration fees.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

VEGASMIKE. Thanks for the help and detailed explanation. I will let all know how the process goes when I am finished. Thanks again. Brian
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott. I have been out of town and was unable to come on Saturday ( I am here in PA with snow all over the place.) I will attend the next Saturday I am in town. Brian
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 EFI
Send a message via Yahoo to Doc_Naughty
Not Ranked     
Default Vegas / Nevada Reg's

Brian,

I bought my Cobra a few years back from a local that had it registered in AZ. When I went to the DMV, they thought I had just built it and wanted a full mechanical inspection. I convinced them that it had already been registered out-of-state and all I was doing was transferring it to Nevada.

They made me go to the Sahara office and get the VIN checked. I had paperwork stating that my engine was a 1965-1967 small block Ford and they gave me a "Smog Exempt" sticker. After an hour inside getting it actually registered as a 2004, 65 Cobra - Assembled Vehicle, things were good. I still needed to show up every year at the Sahara office for another inspection. That mostly meant that the DMV Tech looked at last years paperwork and extended the "Smog Exempt" sticker for another year.

Now that Nevada has a "Replica Vehicle" law on the books, last year (02- 2008) I reregistered it as a 65 Cobra Replica . . . no more "Smog Exempt" sticker for me and yearly re-registration is good-to-go over the internet, no more visits to Sahara . . . I'm number 30 in the hit parade . . .

The process is really simple, just have allllll your paperwork inhand when you go. The wait inline isn't too bad but you don'y want to do it over and over again. Be prepared the first time and you'll be set for the year.

Good Luck.

Look forward to meeting you at Cars & Coffee on Saturdays . . . there's always room for another Cobra Guy.

Doc (Pete)
3712 in Lost Wages, NV.

And when stopped for a vehicle inspection and asked why the brake pedal seemed to go just a little to close to the floor, the response was:

"I didn't buy this car to stop . . . it doesn't have anything on it that doesn't make it go faster!"

Brock Yates
Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Doc. I look forward to meeting you as well. Brian