Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Smile Mid-Ohio School schedule and information

This is a LOT of value for the money! Because we where able to alternate with another school, we where able to get you a very good price! So sign up today!

You may have caught wind that we where working with Mid-Ohio on roll bar height. Well they pulled it together and came up with a great package! The ONLY difference between some one whose roll bar is level with, or taller then the top of the helmet and some one whose roll bar is shorter is that the shorter roll bar cars when on track will be in a lead-follow situation. This is a pretty typical situation for schools where an instructor leads the group during the session. Great way to learn the line following some one that knows what they are doing!

Here is the schedule. Please note that even during the 'down' times there will be things to do.

OHIO COBRA CLUB CURRICULUM
TUESDAY JUNE 20TH 2006
ADVANCED AND INTERMEDIATE GROUPS ON TRACK DOING CORNERING DRILLS WHICH WILL BE SET UP ALREADY

SESSION 1 CORNERING DRILLS 8:00AM - 8:50AM
SESSION 2 CORNERING DRILLS 8:50AM - 9:40AM

SMALL CLASSROOM OR Q&A SESSION 12:15AM- 12:55AM
SESSION 3 CORNERING DRILLS 12:55AM - 1:45PM

LEAD FOLLOW ON SHORT CIRCUIT
ADVANCED/INTERMEDIATE LEAD FOLLOW AND OPEN LAPPING SHORT CIRCUIT 6:00PM – 9:00PM

NOVICE
3 GROUPS MAX 8 PER GROUP
SESSION 1 SKID CAR 8:00AM -8:50AM
SESSION 2 AUTOCROSS 8:50AM -9:40AM
SMALL CLASSROOM OR Q&A 12:15AM -12:55AM
SESSION 3 SLALOM 12:55AM – 1:45PM

SESSION 4 ON TRACK KEYHOLE OVAL 6:00PM – 9:00PM
30MIN SESSIONS LEAD FOLLOW AND OPEN LAPPING

WEDENSDAY JUNE 21ST
ON TRACK (FULL TRACK) EVERYBODY 15MIN SESSIONS 8:00AM – 9:45AM
LEAD FOLLOW AND OPEN LAPPING

ON TRACK EVERYBODY 15MIN SESSIONS 12:15AM – 1:50AM LEAD FOLLOW AND OPEN LAPPING

FOR THOSE WITHOUT ROLL HOOPS OR HOOPS THAT ARE BELOW THE TOP OF THE HELMET, ALL ON TRACK OPEN LAPPING SESSIONS WILL BE LEAD BY AN INSTRUCTOR. ALTERNATELY YOU CAN HAVE AN INSTRUCTOR GIVE RIDES IN MID OHIO SCHOOL CAR OR IF STUDENT WANTS IN HIS CAR. YOUR CHOICE.

That is a LOT of good instruction and track time for only $300. Get your reservation today! Please give Mid Ohio a call at: 1-877-793-8667

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1981/ 418Stroker
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Wow Rick!

This looks like a great warm up for the LCS, we'll arrange a party for Wed afternoon, after tracking!

Remember this is a Mid Ohio School and you must sign up with them and also make your hotel resrvations this week as the block of rooms are only held til the (edited)26th.Racers and fans will be coming in that week for the weekend races.

If you have not signed up yet , do so as spaces are limited, and already 35 are registered

Another plus, Dennis Olthoff and three of his instructors will be on hand for one on one instruction and guidance to enhance our Mid Ohio exepience...............rumor even has it that he is bringing a Superformance Daytona Coupe and the new SPF GT-40.........can't wait to see them run at Mid Ohio on their brand new surface!

Alonso Kumpdretti Racing

Click to Win a Cobra!!

Last edited by Godzila; 05-17-2006 at 01:18 PM..
Old 05-17-2006, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is really cool Guys!! I took a few parade laps at mid Ohio Last month. The new track is incredible!!! It seems wider than ever, new curbing, and silky smooth asphalt. With less than 40 cars currently signed up...there will be a ton of one-on-one resources for us novices.

The track events and schools that will allow our cars are dwindling. This may be one of the last chances we'll have unless you have modern racing safety equipment.

I'm so excited!! Hats off to the Mid-Ohio group for accomodating us!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mid-Ohio is really pumped about this! Think about driving a track that Cobras won on in the 60's

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-17-2006, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK all.I just checked with the Lexington Hotels.. there are a lot fewer rooms reserved than there are people signed up for Mid Ohio Track event??

Please be sure to mention that you are with the Ohio Cobra Club when you register to get the rate and the block of rooms. The deadline was tomorrow the 19th, but has just been extended to the 26th...Do it soon or you will miss out on the action at the host hotel which will be party central for Mid Ohio event

Hotels in the area for 60 miles book up quickly the week of any Race event at Mid Ohio

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Absolutely book your Mid-Ohio room NOW!! This is a SMALL town and with a big race that following weekend, rooms can be impossible to get any where even close to Lexington. Fair warning!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few folks have expressed concerns about their plain jane street tires and attending the school. Unless you have a bunch of experience on racing tires, LEAVE THE STREET TIRES ON!!!

Racing tires a much, much less forgiving and do not give you much room for error. Do the school on your BFGs, Yoko's, Dunlop's, what ever you have on the car. After all, this is not a race, it is a school!

Also, check with your insurance agent. Mine says since it is a driving school, I am fully covered. I have that in writing!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm In!

This is a lot of track time and instruction at Mid Ohio.
See you all at the track.
Roger
Old 05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This promises to be a great one! As close to something for everyone as you can get. Sign up... you won't regret it. Remember, this is a deal we put together for all of you because it was asked of us. Our club, CF, LCS.. don't see a dime. This for us is a free-bie because you asked. So, enjoy!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a great meeting with Mid-Ohio last night! Steve, School Director, and oen of the instructors that will be working with us, Tommy Byrne. Tommy had F1 starts, F1 tester, Multiple Indy Light wins, European F-2000 champion, British Formula 3 and Ford champion, etc. You can read more about him at: http://crashorbyrne.com/index.html

Any ways, being a novice myself, the whole idea of the track event I found rather intimidating. NOT ANY MORE!! There where about 12 of us sitting listening to Tommy describe what we are going to be doing and how the event was going to be run. I think every one of us came away much more excited then when we first sat down! I know I am now probably going to sign up where I was not before.

The is going to be a very valuable and enjoyable experience for me, I hope it will be for you as well!

Plus, as Tommy was checking out Frinks car, you could just see the wheels turning in his head... "... hmm, how am I going to get one of these guys to let me drive on these..."

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More details.....

I just had a call from another guy who is signing up for Mid-Ohio who had some questions so I thought if he did, you might! So here goes.

Looking at the schedule above, you see cornering drills. Cornering drills is the first of the steps acclimating you to Mid-Ohio. What they do is divide up the track into about three sections. They show you the best way through those sections and then have you drive them while they watch and review your driving technique and line. You repeat this until you have done each section of the track mutliple times. Maybe as many as thirty times. This gives you a chance to learn the track in smaller segments so it won't be so overwhelming when they cut you loose.

At all phases, the instructors will be watching and helping you correct your skills and work with the track. If you have a car mounted camera, they will go through that with you as well.

Short curcuit, long curcuit and keyhole oval. With the repaving of Mid-Ohio, there is a new turn that cuts across the keyhole area to the back straight after turn one. The short curcuit is the entire track going accross the keyhole area. This cuts down on the back straight significantly reducing top speeds in that area. The keyhole oval is the oval that was created by the cross over I just mentioned. It is a much smaller portion of the track. Again, this is designed to slowly bring you up to speed at Mid-Ohio. The long curcuit is the FULL course.

Lead follow. There is some lead follow in all or most of the different sessions. This is to show you the correct way to negotiate the track. Those sessions are 6-9 on Tuesday and 8-9:45, 12:15-1:50 on Wednesday. After the initial lead follow, paricuarly with more advanced groups, it is open lapping! Get out there and RUN!! I am just guessing here but I would imagine you will get about an hour and a half total lapping time for each group over the two days.

The only cars that will be required to follow on the full course open lapping, once you have been cleared to open lap by yourself, are those whose roll bars are not tall enough. The point of this is to keep top speed down. According to the instructor, you will be able to carry as much speed in the corners as you are capable of. 'not tall enough' is defined as any roll bar that is not above a line level with the top of your helmet. Even though they will regulate speed in those sessions, we are not talking about a cruise down the freeway here! We are probably talking in the neighborhood of maybe 120 for the FULL course lead follow and according to him, he would be suprised if a good Cobra and driver did not hit 150 in the advanced, non lead follow group on the back straight. Not me but maybe one of you hot shoes will do it! Obviously, the short course and the keyhole oval speeds on will be lower simply because no one will be using the entire LONG back straight. Once again, taking you step by step to the point where to are able to negotiate the full course.

Trailer parking is available at the track if you want to lock it up and leave it there.

Although the guy who called was clearly and advanced driver, I thought I would talk some more about the Novice options. Skid car, this thing is a BALL! What it teaches you is to balance a car on the edge of a slide, how to catch the car before it spins and how to recover. As we all know, in our short little Cobras, this is a HIGHLY valuable skill! Autocross, this is going to be specifically designed to help you learn the transient behavor of your car in a environment as safe as your mothers arms! Threshold and trail breaking, steady cornering, power application, etc. Slalom, the slalom teaches you to corner at the cars maximum capabilities. It is a great way to take the two classes you just took and get the most from your car. Then it is off to the keyhole oval! Finally on the track, once again, they are taking you one step at a time. You get used to the pavement, elevation and camber changes all at manageable speeds before Wednesday comes and they start taking you around the full course. I don't know if novices will ever get open lapping, you will have to ask them. But they will get full course but in a lead-follow situation while they evaluate your capabilties. What I do know is that the better you do, the more freedom you get.

Hope that helps!!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Heads Up!!!

The Event packets have been sent by Email to everyone that is currently signed up. If you have not received it yet, you should contact Mid-Ohio. I couldn't get mine by email for some reason, so Pam gladly faxed it to me. There are forms that need to be filled out in advance. If you wait until Tuesday morning....you'll probably still be in tech when the first cars go out. At that point, the tech crew will be on course...so your will be SOL untill they get back in. The moral of the story is: " Don't be that guy who is late with his paper work and has to sit out half of the event." Fair Warning.

If you don't have your packet by now....call Mid-Ohio and get it!!

I'm sooo excited about this event!! See you all there!!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Mine got caught by the "scrubber" here at the office. Steve was do kind as to forward me his.
If anyone else need this PM me and I can email you.
John
Old 06-08-2006, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a note for everyone attending;

After track time on Wednesday, and allowing time to freshen up, Everyone is invited to go to Buck's Bar & Grill 175 W Main Street Lexington, OH about 2 miles from the hotels. Buck's is steeped in the Motorsports history surrounding Mid Ohio racing.

The plan is to Thunder in mass about 4;00 PM and partake in Happy Hour, and dinner. They have been duly warned we are coming, and have a great menu of sandwiches, steaks, and lotsa cold beer and beverages and a large paved parking lot.
Seeya there!

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Happy hour at Bucks!! I will be there

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Happy hour at Bucks!! I will be there
"Happy hour" and "Dorman" are synonomous

It could have been called "Dorman-hour" and everyone would understood perfectly!! !

I can't wait!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob frink
"Happy hour" and "Dorman" are synonomous

It could have been called "Dorman-hour" and everyone would understood perfectly!! !

I can't wait!!!
Between Kump (Godzila), Flyin Freddie Rice and myself..... no one is safe!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-08-2006, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh Oh sounds like maybe I better get a room Wed instead of driving the 15 minutes to home

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JP Dads house is so close we could probably do the watermelon crawl all the way there! Suprising how soothing a cold concrete floor can be at times.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I feel like I should say we are talking about WEDNESDAY night, after all the track time is done. I would not suggest such activities the night before ANY track event!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com