21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-09-2006, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default new guy questions

I am new to this forum. I seriously want to build a Cobra. I'm thinking 2-3 years out. I am coming to London hoping to see a lot of different manufactures cars. It has been my experiance that most car guys love to talk about cars, especially there own. So I hope to learn quite I bit about what I want to build. This is the first time I found out about an event ahead of time. I usually stumble onto it after it is over. I'm looking forward to this.

If it is not too bold, I would like to meet some of you there, if you are interested in helping me learn a little. Which is the better day to come Sat. or Sun.? What is the best time of day to be there? Any other pointers would be appreciated.

I live in St. Louisville, Ohio (by Newark - east of Columbus). I plan to drive over.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Late 70s Allied Industries?? 454 BBC; alum copo heads and intake THM 400 12 bolt posi ++ 06 CL 55 AMG
Not Ranked     

As a newbie last year -- I found that people park cars in the parking lots of the hotel onclave in Columbus on Friday and Saturday nights. Vendors/ manufacturers will be set up in London on Saturday -- where people park hundreds of cars in the street, and may not necessarily be near their car to comment all day on Saturday at London. It is not a car "show" in the traditional sense. If you are at the staging area early in the morning outside London, people are generally near their cars before the parade. Get ready for sensory overload.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Old Dog,

Five years ago, I did exactly what you're doing this year. I found out about the show by accident about a month prior and decided to go check it out and compare cars. I arrived Friday night and left Saturday afterrnoon. Saturday is the best single day to see all the cars in one place, plus whichever vendors show up in London. If you can make it there for Friday night, the area around the three hotels is like a Cobra anthill: you'll see and hear Cobras coming and going constantly and it will be easier to locate the owner of a particular car. If you do see a car you'd like to know more about, I'd suggest leaving a note with your cell phone # under the windshield wiper and ask that the owner give you a ring back. There'll undoubtedly be some one-occupant cars in the parade into London so you might see whether you can make arrangements to hitch a ride in the parade. WV66AC ws right about the "sensory overload" part.

If you just park your car and start walking around, you'll find plenty of people to talk to but you're welcome to EM or PM me for contact info if you like. I'll be there with a bunch of people from the northern Illinois area, with cars by lots of different manufacturers and some very interesting "fringe element" powerplants, if they show up.

Lowell
Old 06-10-2006, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

olddog,
You live pretty close to the show (relative...).All three days offer opportunities to meet owners and mfgs (plenty of both).
Friday night - Quaker Steak Lube,then back to the hotels
Saturday - Rides down main street London - feel the acceleration
Sunday - Autocross at the Ohio Historical Society- there will be rides avail in the autocross (both rides for a small donation to Cystic Fibrosis)
A great weekend to get a ideal of which mfg might be best for you.
John
Old 06-11-2006, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help guys.

The wife usually has plans on Friday nights, but maybe we can make them in Columbus and swing by that hotel. Which hotel where?

Sensory overload - I expect it will be like drinking from a fire hose. Love it!

I'll try to make all 3 days, if possible.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would love an oppertunity to sit in the drivers seat of some cars, just to see how I fit. Do I need dropped floor boards, for instance. However I have too much respect for another mans car, to walk up and ask a stranger such a question. To drive one would be heaven, but asking someone to drive such a car would be kinda like asking to sleep with his wife. Will there be some vendors there with cars that you might sit down in?

Last edited by olddog; 06-11-2006 at 11:02 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Check out the London Cobra Show link below and go to the hotel page. There will be plenty of action there. Most people love to talk about their cars.
Last year there where plenty of cars brought in from the vendors. This year will be even better. There is no better place to check out the different models.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Late 70s Allied Industries?? 454 BBC; alum copo heads and intake THM 400 12 bolt posi ++ 06 CL 55 AMG
Not Ranked     

Ditto -- go to the link(s) in Buckeye's post.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1981/ 418Stroker
Not Ranked     

Old Dog
You probably would have a better chance of sleeping with most of the guys' wives than getting to drive their Cobras!!

OMG did I actually type that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bet I wasn't the only one who thought it!

Click to Win a Cobra!!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzila
Old Dog
You probably would have a better chance of sleeping with most of the guys' wives than getting to drive their Cobras!!

OMG did I actually type that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bet I wasn't the only one who thought it!
Kinda reminds me of the guy who's wife gave him the ultamatum "either the car goes or she goes." The choice was his. He told me he sure was going to miss her.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Old dog,

I built my car to be enjoyed. When it sits at car shows I encourage anyone who wants to jump right in and try it on for size. If you see me and my well-worn red/white Shell Valley car, feel free to ask for a test fit. If we're not busy, we'll take a spin.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dirty Harry. Dare I assume your license plate might say Dirty Harry? Looking forward to talking to you.

I have a similar attitude. I don't want to build a beautiful show car, cause then I wouldn't want to take it out of the garage. I want to drive it, drive it, and drive it some more. Similarly I don't want to put a fortune into it, because it would spoil the fun of driving it. I want fun, not headaches.

PS
I don't mean to offend anyone who has a top notch show car. I love them and respect them. It's just not for me (to own one that is).

Last edited by olddog; 06-12-2006 at 03:29 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nope. I've just got a plain old Indiana plate on it.

I know just what you're saying. I can really enjoy and appreciate a perfect specimen or a really original-appearing car, but my little old homemade clunker suits me fine for a fraction of the time and money. It has carried me to London every year except once when I tangled with a surgeon and had to stay in the hospital through Sunday afternoon of the show. The car has been a lot of fun. No breakdowns, several autocross runs, good mileage, never on a trailer, etc. I hope that string continues. See you at the show.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I went to QS Friday night. Then hit one of the Hotels. Wow what a great time. People were friendly, helpful, and lots of fun. Went to London Sat. Took a Brother-N-Law and my younger son. Dirty Harry was there and let me get a photo or two in his car. We all took a ride. Should have taken a few more. Best time I have had since I cannot remember when. Today I went over to the Historical Society and watched some more. I had to take a ride there, too. WOW!

The ride I took down main street had drained some blood out of my brain. I told the gentleman that it had been a long time since I rode in anything with that type of performance. What a stupid comment! I ain't ever rode in anything that fast. I had a few cars, back when I was a pup, that may have approached that type of HP, but the cars were a half ton heavier! My oppologies to the owner of the car.

Well I couldn't put it all into words if I typed all night. Thanks to everyone who was there. I will be back.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Glad you enjoyed yourself! That is pretty much the point of the whole thing... have fun!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Say, olddog, it was good to meet you. You got a lot of info crammed into one weekend. We'll be looking forward to seeing you there next summer in your own car.