Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Looking at Lone Star

I'm just about done building my present Cobra and looking to build another brand now. I am seriously looking at the Lone Star but I want to avoid some of the problems I had with building my present car. I have read quit a bit about the cars on their site, and all in it seems it may meet my needs. I have worked on cars as a hobby all my life and have no problems with fabrication/welding and glass work. I will build my SBF and do my own bodywork and paint.

I need to know a few things from Lone Star Builders to help me decide. The information is for me and I know some guys are sensitive to what is written in forums, thinking an issue may be blown out of proportion and hurt the company that built their car. If you don't want to post please send me a PM or e-mail. Talking to a few present builders on the phone would be great.

So, I would like some insight on the following issues.

1. How is the company to deal with overall? Do they actually answer the phone.
2. How is the quality of the parts?
3. How fast do they replaces defective parts?
4. What needs to be improved with the car?
5. What options did you get and were those good decisions?
6. I will be using a SBF so does the 8.8 rear end work fine?
7. What modifications enhace the car and should be done?

Believe me I know there are no perfect cars. OK, maybe a Kirkam is close! But, I need to find out more about the Lone Stars to help me make an informed decision without regrets.

Thanks.
Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 05-12-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

If you haven't seen it already, you can check out my website where I documented the complete build of my Lone Star. www.pflanzer-aviation.com/RedVenomCobra.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I started following your build a couple of years ago. Thanks for doing all the work to document it. It was really helpful.

Wayne
Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

My experience:
1. They are quite responsive.
2. I've been quite satisfied. I had one bad part of their manufacture, an upper control arm that was too stiff at the pivot points. It was replaced immediately. Not coincidentally, that design is no longer used.
3. See #2.
4. If you have been reading the forums you'll know there are as many answers to that question as there are builders. I suppose lack of "detail" in the build manual is the most common "complaint", but with the forums that is no longer a major problem. The combined experiences of the previous builders is more useful than a 5000 page manual.
5. I'm not sure how to answer this one. As I remember (from 12 years ago), after the body and frame just about everything was "optional" in a sense. I ordered what I felt I needed and the finished car met my expectations. Many feel the big brakes are a good idea, especially if you intend to do track days.
6. My 8.8 has been just fine (I'm running drag radials, but not huge horsepower).
7. There are (again) as many answers to that as there are builders. You'll find that there are no two LoneStars alike. That's because the builder has the latitiude to do things "his way". That (to some, anyway) is the beauty of a true "kit" (although I despise that term). It's not like every hole is pre-punched. You can do it the way you like (within the confines of safety, of course).

I've been very satisfied with mine. I really enjoy driving it, but I do miss the build process. In a way, that was just as much fun. Now I struggle to dream up projects to "improve" it. None of them are actually needed.