Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427
Not Ranked     
Default Raditor mount

Hello all, I have a LSC427 competition chassis (2001 build I think) and am going through the cooling system. Would like to see some pictures of how your radiator is mounted. I purchased this car about a year ago and the radiator was never mounted the right way. Everything is being changed, new radiator and re-routing upper and lower hoses. The lower is the issue for me, really close to the steering rack. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

If you are changing the radiator you can address the toughest challenge of the radiator mount. The original radiator's lower hose neck forced a compromise. You had to keep shimming up the lower mounts until you had room to clear the lower hose and clamps above the steering rack. The higher you raised it, the more you had to angle it to clear the hood hinges. More angle reduced the clearance on the lower hose, forcing you to raise it..... etc., etc. If you get a radiator with the lower neck mounted slightly higher on the radiator and angled upward, it will be much easier.
You may want to check with Brian at LoneStar. I believe they have revised the radiator and mounts since your car was built.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have a early Lone Star before 2000

I used a two copper elbows (1 1/2" I think) to offset around the rack and frame. For years I had a hose that passed under the frame. I did not have a problem but one winter decided to change it.
I have over 20,000 miles on this part with no problems and 42,000 miles on the Cobra.

Dwight

I flared the end to hold the rubber hose on. I painted them black before I remember to take pictures.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info... Barnsnake that is exactly what I am running into, I guess I will cut the bottom outlet and weld it higher and with an elbo.

Dwight how do you have that upper bracket mounted? That is the other issue, securely mounting it in place. When I got the car the radiator just sat in the lower mounts and had small side braces that were useless, it just flopped around!
Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

in the first picture you can see my top mount. An L shaped bracket with rubber between it and the radiator. Bolted to a brace that holds the hood hinges I think. Installed it in 2000
42,000 miles no problem

Dwight
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't have any good pictures of my installed radiator mounts, but I think I can describe them. They lower mounts are basically small sections of channel that I shimmed with pieces of 1/8" thick medium-hard rubber until the lower portion of the radiator is a tight fit into them. Their height in the car is set by a piece of steel tubing and shim washers on their mounting bolts. The side mounts are similar sections of channel that are shimmed with rubber to be a good fit on the side tanks of the radiator. (I'll put a picture of them in my gallery.) The tabs that mount them to the frame are not quite parallel with the frame, so when they bolt down it twists them a bit against the radiator. This makes them hold quite securely. I'm not sure you could pull the radiator with a hoist. Even so, I added a couple of aluminum straps from the top of the radiator down to the side mounts to ensure the radiator stays down solidly against the bottom mounts.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Barnsnake for the picture of your radiator in your gallery, that helps and I'm sure I'll figure something out. Another question, what did you use for the rubber roll bar grommets and where did you get the aluminum bezels? I bought some from finish line but they have 2 round and 1 oval, can't use the oval and the round seem a little small.

Bill
Old 12-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Roll Bar grommets and bezels came from Finish Line as best I remember. They were available in 1-1/2" or 2". I used 3 round ones. (I think they had basically the same part listed as steering column bezels.)
I chucked-up a sanding drum in my drill press and angled the holes in the rubber for the two outer ones. It was slow and dirty, but it worked.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought the roll bar mounting kit that did have 2 round and one oval, the steering column bezel looks like the other one I need. I pulled the roll bar out because the old grommets were glued in and had come unglued (Arizona heat) and reinstalled with all I could find (toilet flush valve gaskets) covering the holes for now... my buddies love to give me a hard time about that! More pressing things to deal with right now like getting my radiator mounted correctly. Thanks for your help and your car is beautiful!

Bill
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

found another pic

Dwight