Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-19-2003, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Questions for LoneStar owners

All

I am new to this forum as I just got my Cobra about a month ago, but I love the enthusiasm and I am very excited to get to know some of you. I first had some questions for anyone that may have an answer:

1) I have a very stock 428 in mine with an Edelbrock performer 390 manifold, aluminum heads, and the cam that came with the manifold which I understand is a VERY stock cam. I am wanting to get another 100 hp or so while retaining the cars drivability on the street and of course keep using pump gas - what are the easist ways to get that hp increase out of it? I have looked into several options including a Lunati cam with 228/235 Duration @.50 and replacing the intake with a Ford PI Manifold or an Edelbrock Performer RPM - any opinions on these?

2) Also, the car seems to make a strange sound whenever I go up inclines at an angle- for example a driveway, or a road entrance that is raised - anything that twists the car causes a sound like sheet metal is lose. Anyone have any ideas what that could be?

Thanks so much,

John
Old 08-19-2003, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Welcome johnd9 !

1.) How much $$$ are you willing to spend? OK, now double that, and that is most likely to be the amount you spend once you open up that whole "moder" thing... As for what parts,,,,hmmm,,,roller cams are good, roller rockers are nice too.

2.) Yikes! That is not a "happy" Cobra sound
Old 08-19-2003, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave

Yeah no kidding on the money part. I dont think I have ever loved a combination of metal, rubber, oil, and gas so much but man if I didnt....for what it cost!

Anyway, I am trying to stay around $1000-1200. I have a local guy that is top notch willing to do the install of the cam and the manifold for about $600 and the parts would cost anywhere from $450-600 (at least for the mods I have listed).

Do you think this will give me the desired result?

Thanks for the welcome!

John
Old 08-20-2003, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

John,

My best suggestion is to get a PC program called "Desktop Dyno". I know the 2000 version is about $35, and I think there is a later 2003 version, but don't know about the cost.

There's also one called Virtual Engine 2000. You can downlaod a demo of this one that will tell you quite a bit.

Most important thing is to determine what it is you already have got. Then you can try different things in the program.

These will tell you pretty accurately what different cams, heads, intakes, carbs, etc will do.

One more thing, heres a plug for Comp Cams, I am a satisifed customer, they build really nice stuff. Here is a link to one of their dealers http://www.racenet.net/

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC 462
Not Ranked     

I have a 428 CJ i took mine to a 462 it will make 700++ hp i would NOT blow money on the rollor cam a flat tap. will make just as much power for less $$ check around there is cam and lifter for ?? $250 just get the oil additive.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I don't believe your going to get another 100 HP with out doing some major machining and buying expensive parts, unless you add a power adder, like a turbo, blower, or the juice. A bigger cam, intake, carb & good heads may bring you say, 50-75 HP. or closer but, I doubt 100. If you really want 100 +, I would recommend saving some money & do it right from the get-go. You can achieve 450-500 hp with apx. $4,000-$5,000 for machining & parts. A lot of that is in the heads. You can get real crazy there.

Kevin
Old 03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

To get good power gains from an FE you need to make it breathe. A good Stage II or III head job will go along way to help the other components do their job. If your running the standard Lone Star side pipes, you can pick up some additional HP by replacing the muffler with something less restrictive like a Howe Racing muffler. There are others on the market as well. I'm an ex Lone Star owner and know this from personal experience.
Good luck and enjoy your car!

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.