14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Title/ Emissions in new York

Can anyone tell me if there is any issues with bringing a SPF registered as a 2005 Cobra Replica (Wa. State) titled in New York. I have a dealer in New York worried that if he buys the car he will not be able to register it or have to go through emmisions, which the car will not pass. It has a carbed Roush 427R in it.

Thanks, Jake
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Is the dealer the one buying the car because I would think he'd have a dealer plate he could use.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

It is a dealer. Maybe he is worried about resale in New York.

Jake
Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a Ford 302 Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Lots of guys buy Cobras from out of state - NY DMV can be a bit tough to deal with - Call Albany and talk to the tech group (518) 474-5282 nice people. They will give you all you need to know and ask for any "special forms” that you might need.
NY may require that the car gets inspected by the state – they check mostly for stolen parts – have all recites available to ward off problems. If they find, say a problem tyranny, they will pull it on the spot – they don’t fool around. NYS requires deforesters; back up lights etc. the DMV tech guys can tell you about that. (Ask for the forms package)
If it passes then it can be registered – probably as a Custom – and the year it was built. After that it goes for a regular safety inspection to check out the lights, emission, etc. It will be a sniff test for the first one and very liberal. Ask the DMV tech guys how it works after that.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is any issues with bringing a SPF registered as a 2005 Cobra Replica (Wa. State) titled in New York. I have a dealer in New York worried that if he buys the car he will not be able to register it or have to go through emmisions, which the car will not pass. It has a carbed Roush 427R in it.

Thanks, Jake
The problem is a 2005 Vehicle registed in NYS will have to meet California emissions your Roush 427 (a 351w base engine) doe not meet any emission standard.

I have been able to register a vehicle that was not calif emision certified using the highlited text, but the vehicle was federal emision compliant

The following is from NYS DMV web site

California" emissions standard

Your vehicle must comply with the "California" motor vehicle emissions standards unless the vehicle is exempt. Your vehicle must comply with the California emissions standards if your vehicle has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer and the vehicle is:

•a model year of 1996 or newer passenger vehicle or light-duty truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6,000 lbs. or less, or
•a model year 2000 or newer light-duty truck that has a GVWR of 8,500 lbs. or less, or
•a model year 2004 or newer medium duty vehicle that has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. or less, or
•a model year 2005 or newer heavy-duty otto-cycle or diesel vehicle that has a GVWR over 14,000 lbs.
To determine if a vehicle meets the California emissions standard, look for these words or similar language on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) and the emissions label under the hood:

•"California-Only Vehicle: This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations applicable to (the vehicle model year) model-year new motor vehicles introduced into commerce only for sale in California."
•"50-State Vehicle: This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations applicable to (the vehicle model year) model-year new motor vehicles."
•"Federal Vehicle certified for Sale in California: This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations applicable to (the vehicle model year) model-year new motor vehicles, and is certified for sale in California."
If your vehicle complies with the California emissions standards, but the MCO does not indicate compliance or you do not have an MCO, you or the automobile dealer can certify compliance on form MV-74.

If your vehicle is exempt from the California emissions standards, you or the automobile dealer can complete form MV-74 to certify the exemption if

•the vehicle has an odometer reading of more than 7,500 miles, or
you purchased the vehicle in another state to replace your previous vehicle that was damaged, stolen or had a mechanical failure while you were outside NYS•the vehicle was transferred to you through an inheritance or court decree, or
•the vehicle was registered to you in another state when you were a resident of that state, but you are now a resident of NYS, or
•you are a NYS resident who serves in the US Armed Forces and you are stationed in another state, or
•the vehicle is an authorized emergency vehicle defined in Article 1 of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law.

Form MV-74 is available at DMV offices

The web site of the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has the regulations for the California emissions standards and other motor vehicle emissions standards (See Part 218).
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

What is the reason for the vehicle to be exempt if it has over 7,500 miles?