Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia View Post
They were cool with me when I registered mine. Needed padded visors, so I put green foam around them for the inspection. The guy laughed and said it meets specs.
DOT lenses are easy, I did put in a back up light under left rear, I intended on removing it after inspection but it helps... So I left it.

Documentation on motor and trans was mandatory though. As for emissions that is determined by the year of the motor. As long as your block is pre 73' you are good to go.
That's the problem I'm having. The ones I'm looking at nobody has the receipts for the motor and trans. Second owners. Are crate motors Okay?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     

As I previously stated and you confirmed you have property in FL. Just Register it there and you will have plates and a title in 5 days. Why deal with the brain damage.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post
As I previously stated and you confirmed you have property in FL. Just Register it there and you will have plates and a title in 5 days. Why deal with the brain damage.
I never said I have property. I have Family that lives there. Cousin , Aunt...
Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can someone else confirm this also...As for emissions that is determined by the year of the motor." As long as your block is pre 73' you are good to go." That makes it even that much harder. Does a crate motor qualify with no smog test?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
Can someone else confirm this also...As for emissions that is determined by the year of the motor." As long as your block is pre 73' you are good to go." That makes it even that much harder. Does a crate motor qualify with no smog test?
Call this number 845 691 7686. It the number for the NYS examination facility. They are the ones that determine that the car is good to go and they supply the official VIN. They will give you the info you need right from the horses mouth. You also need a weight certificate.

Pm me if you need more info I have a folder of all of this stuff I can dig thru it and give you any details. I have dot lense numbers for you too when you fill out the forms.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you live upstate NY ( I'm assuming that means any area outside of NYC ) then custom cars are exempt from emissions testing as stated at the DMV site. I have a new Roush engine and emissions were not checked in the first inspection or any yearly inspection I have gotten since that time.
freebird60 likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would this tag on the motor qualify for good enough? Is there a way that I can research it to see if it's stolen first? The guy doesn't have a receipt.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I had a motor built by say Merkle here on long island and he used a core block and built it, would that qualify inspection wise as long as he gave me a receipt?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I had a motor built by say Merkle here on long island and he used a core block and built it, would that qualify inspection wise as long as he gave me a receipt?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Wow what a clusterf**ck. I just registered mine in Michigan and it took 10 minutes tops.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
Wow what a clusterf**ck. I just registered mine in Michigan and it took 10 minutes tops.
Yup..NYS is a PITA. Looking for thieves. I thinks they should be looking somewhere else though. Most Cobra owners don't need to deal with that kind of crap.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Some people in NY go out and find an older core and then just pay someone to install new parts. NY is concerned with the date of the core, not the components when determining emission requirements. I have also heard of people getting by with newer blocks, such as a 351, because they had 351's in the 60's; however, that is just second hand knowledge on my part, so you may want to check that out before going that route.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Some people in NY go out and find an older core and then just pay someone to install new parts. NY is concerned with the date of the core, not the components when determining emission requirements. I have also heard of people getting by with newer blocks, such as a 351, because they had 351's in the 60's; however, that is just second hand knowledge on my part, so you may want to check that out before going that route.
I know Nick would Know, but I'm away right now and won't be back till Monday. Does it matter what year block I get as long as the The builder I use gives me all the receipts? If I buy a reman long block online it could be any year. What's the rule?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I know Nick would Know, but I'm away right now and won't be back till Monday. Does it matter what year block I get as long as the The builder I use gives me all the receipts? If I buy a reman long block online it could be any year. What's the rule?
You'd want a pre 1972 block. Sending over PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just got off the phone with field investigations in NYS... 1-845-691-7686 Extension #105. This is what he told me. Right from the horses mouth. Motor wise I could either buy a crate motor. I would need a certificate origin for that. Not just the receipt. Motor at a junk yard has to have the VIN number written on the receipt. A bare block without any of that will not pass. Meaning if I find a bare block and have it built I will have a problem. Same goes with transmission. If I go with Tremec transmission I need a Certificate of origin from them. If I bought it through Summit they would have to give it to me. If I buy it used from someone it will not pass.

If anyone has more they want to share, PM me or call me 631-235-3227

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Wink

call the fla. dmv, you might like it!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just got off the phone with field investigations in NYS... 1-845-691-7686 Extension #105. This is what he told me. Right from the horses mouth. Motor wise I could either buy a crate motor. I would need a certificate origin for that. Not just the receipt. Motor at a junk yard has to have the VIN number written on the receipt. A bare block without any of that will not pass. Meaning if I find a bare block and have it built I will have a problem. Same goes with transmission. If I go with Tremec transmission I need a Certificate of origin from them. If I bought it through Summit they would have to give it to me. If I buy it used from someone it will not pass.

If anyone has more they want to share, PM me or call me 631-235-3227

Thanks
There is no "Certificate of Origin" for a new Tremec. We give NYS a copy of the invoice from the supplier for a crate engine. If it is a Ford Racing crate, a tracing of the stamped plate attached to the block will speed the process. We once had a field inspector question a used Tremec as it did not have a VIN, we explained it is "aftermarket" and will not have a Vehicle VIN any more than a replacement wiper blade would have one. They accepted that.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
There is no "Certificate of Origin" for a new Tremec. We give NYS a copy of the invoice from the supplier for a crate engine. If it is a Ford Racing crate, a tracing of the stamped plate attached to the block will speed the process. We once had a field inspector question a used Tremec as it did not have a VIN, we explained it is "aftermarket" and will not have a Vehicle VIN any more than a replacement wiper blade would have one. They accepted that.
I called Tremec and they said once I get the trans they could send me a COO. That's the least of my worries though. It's the engine block if I don't go with a crate like Ford racing. I was told from a builder in NC that they stamp there number on the block and that goes on the receipt. That works for when they ever had to do it. Waiting for nick to call back with more details.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

We have turning the customers copy of a sales invoice from Southern Automotive for a couple of our customers and all went fine with NYS DMV.

Use "SAE ST 69" for the number on the Lucas rectangular rear lamps.

For "Padded dash and four way flashers" we have indicated "N/A" (not applicable) due to year of representation of replica" and had no problems.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     

For all the investigating you have done to figure out what will fly and what wont, you could have bought a SPF, Had it registered in Florida and already had a title in hand. Oh, and could have done it all via US Postal. just my 2 cents. Just imagine once you buy the car and its sitting in your garage, and you want to drive it but cant until your appointment with Autotheft. Then get there and something be amiss and you have to wait another 4 weeks to get another appointment. I for one will NEVER go through the NYS process of titling one of these....EVER.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: