Old 04-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     
Default Long Island Cobras

Ok, you guys asked for it!

Good luck on the formation of your organization. Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hello all Long Island Cobra fans and thanks Club Cobra

The time is here. It is amazing to find out that over a hundred Cobras of all makes, originals and reproductions ply the highways of Long Island, New York. Understandably so, Long Island has always been a hotbed of automobile enthusiasts, with a heritage that boasts of the famous Bridgehampton racetrack era, where Cobras wreaked havoc when it was still in operation, Westhampton drag strip, and the Riverhead oval; Even the site of the historic Vanderbilt Cup Races that started in 1905. Now, there are at least two organizations currently lobbying to construct and operate modern motorsport parks in Suffolk County; a state of the art Nascar-capable oval with a road course tweaked in, and F1 Boston is trying to get approval for an indoor/outdoor karting facility. This, plus beautiful back roads and interesting destinations, and at least a car show or two or three a week during the season is surely enough to fan the car-crazy flame.

I'm hoping our club will be light and easy, a good venue and resource for learning more about our cars, the people that build, maintain, and drive them, and an opportunity to enhance the fun and enjoyment we get out of this fantastic hobby. Perhaps we can start by sounding off then agreeing (possible? ) on an "event" that can be our first general meeting to create/update a database and outline a course of action.

Thanks Club Cobra!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Long Island guys (or is it guy's on the island?):

Good to see you have your own site, I wish I could get the guys here in Connecticut to get as active as you guys are. Some of the best rides I've ever gone on were with the Long Island group. My wife still talks about the run from Port Jeff to Snakepit a few years ago. 16 Cobras zooming down the south shore at 55 MPH (maybe a little more), it was terrific.

When can we do it again? I'll try to get a few Connecticut owners to take the ferry with me. Hi to Nick and the Saturday morning crew.

Bob
Old 04-05-2006, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bob,

C'mon down! Hey we can return the favor, take the ferry over and we can drive to the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, take in a show, dinner and stay the night at the Inn. Wow, that would be a nice one.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct
Hey Long Island guys (or is it guy's on the island?):

Good to see you have your own site, I wish I could get the guys here in Connecticut to get as active as you guys are. Some of the best rides I've ever gone on were with the Long Island group. My wife still talks about the run from Port Jeff to Snakepit a few years ago. 16 Cobras zooming down the south shore at 55 MPH (maybe a little more), it was terrific.

When can we do it again? I'll try to get a few Connecticut owners to take the ferry with me. Hi to Nick and the Saturday morning crew.

Bob

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-06-2006, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

Cool. Here is my question. Who is taking up all of Nick's time? I think I need a new fuel pump and don't want to be driving anywhere (other than his shop) until I get this looked at. First he said early March, now he is saying next week some time. All I know is I am dying, dying to get out there.

Ray, where are you, in the city or the Hamptons, or do you have two places?

Also, anyone know of a trusted towing guy for my car (just in case something happens getting my car to Nicks)? I really don't want to 'trust' any ole' guy if you know what I mean?

Thanks
Joe S. - Lake Grove, NY (yes a newbie)
Old 04-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Joe, talk to Timmy at us1 auto repair. He is an excellent mechanic and has extensive knowlege of muscle cars, hot rods and cobras. His shop is on route 25 in Centereach a 1/2 mile east of Ford. I think he is closed on Saturdays though. Its getting too nice out to wait for Nick to work on the car.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe,

I "live" in Glenwood Landing (Sea Cliff/Glen Cove area), but prefer to be at my garage in Southampton but the kids always have something on the weekends with school, band, etc. nowadays so...

Fuel pump should be a relatively easy repair/replacement, but could be messy. Any shop should be able to do it if you positively know that's what it is. Just don't listen to "other" diagnosis.
My good friend and fellow Cobra enthusiast Joe Manning has a shop here in Sea Cliff (specializes in vintage cars) and can help too.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg

Last edited by JCoop; 04-07-2006 at 04:12 AM..
Old 04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. Nick said this coming week, so I should be OK. I like to use Nick b/c he is fairly close to where I work which is in Melville and I have a buddy that I work with in the same building that can follow me to Nick's shop, and drop me back off again.

Cobred, Do you know John, who also lives in Centereach and has a green ERA with a 427 BB? He literally lives 2 blocks over from me. I may get a chance to warm my car up this weekend, where exactly are you? I am south of Rt 25 on Morris Ave, which is just east of Hawkins and due south of where Centereach Rentals used to be on 25. Maybe I'll cruise by if you are close enough and the Mrs. loosens the reigns on me a bit (haha).

Later
Joe Sakal - Lake Grove
Old 04-07-2006, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Club Membership Benefits

I had a lively discussion this afternoon with another Cobra Enthusiast who is dying to get a formalized club going. Some of the things we discussed comes to light here, as Slojo already brings up 2 good points that we, as a club with strength in numbers, can address as "definite possibilities".
1. Discounts and preferrential scheduling at participating repair shops.
2. Discounts for parts and consumables (lubes) at participating stores.
3. Free towing from anywhere in Long Island to the shop of your choice:
Snakepit, HRE, or Classic Concepts can subsidize part of it or fund through
club dues. (Roadside Assistance for Cobras!)
4. Regular Tech sessions on owner-maintenance and/or DIY repairs.
5. Regular cruises/road tours in the relative safety of a group ride.
6. Participation as a group in car shows or car-related events or socials.
7. Track days at Pocono or Lime Rock (being investigated)
8. Recognition and consequent dialogue with gov't agencies or law enforcement regarding issues that affect our hobby (registration, noise, emissions, etc.)

What do you guys think?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds good. One other item I can think of is maybe a club trailer. I do not own one, but would be willing to put some dollars towards one. I know a cannot park one a my house either so a place to house one would obviously be a plus for me. Just my thoughts.

Thanks
Joe S.-Lake Grove
Old 04-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I am friends with John. To my house take 25 east, make a left on n. Howell (across from Mc Donalds). Make a left on Winmar Way, I am #5. I will be in and out all day tommorrow. Ed
Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx 4192
Not Ranked     

slojo The best guy on LI I think who knows how to tow Cobras is

Lombardos Towing 516 489-2909 Done mine a few times and freq. makes trips to HRE.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Progress...

I was at Classic Concepts yesterday and hung out with the guys...

I didn't get a chance to talk up the club idea but paid my $10 coffee and bagels dues f0r April It's a bit tough to get that credibility and respect being the "new guy" but I sense a good response forthcoming. I had a good chat with Nick. He's really a great guy and recognizes the benefits of having an organized club in general and the opportunities for his business in particular. In mentioning the towing and trailer issues, he's all for it of course and even offered fenced parking for the trailer!

So I think the next logical step is really to call for a general meeting to raise these issues and get the roster and ball rolling

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #678 427SO/468 Cu in.
Not Ranked     
Default Club

Ray,
Mike R., I spoke with you on Sat. at Nick's. I belong to a Yacht club and you can do quite a lot with members who pay dues. Even if they do not attend all functions. With a club paying dues, you can get:
Monthly newsletter with photos and up coming events.
Discounts on repairs
Discounts on towing.
Guest speakers at least once a month.
You can lock on guaranteed track time at different tracks.
Etc, etc,
I am in. Although I cannot attend every event or on all weekends, I think that Long Island has enough car enthusiasts to make this work. I think we have a great opportunity at Nicks especailly for a meeting place. Count me in.
Regards,
Mike
Old 04-11-2006, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, glad you found our little corner here. i've realized it'll be a slow process but moving is better than sitting. If we could just get a handful of "core" enthusiasts willing to organize, I feel others will follow suit. A call for a general meeting is probably the next logical step. Nick's may be too small for it, and more importantly, I don't want to turn off those who aren't regulars there. I know of 2 Cobra owners within 5 miles from me who may go to a meeting at a Diner, say, but would be intimidated to go to an established shop with a regular following.

Tony, what's the first show or event do the guys usually attend? I'd like to design and produce a banner for LIC and print a flyer for membership, etc.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

Guys...first let me thank you for opening this local Long Island forum.
Terrific idea !

Regarding a chartered LI Cobra Club, I am in disagreement with the idea.
On cursory view, we may appear disorganized but we are not.
If you read the recent article in KITCAR what we have at Nick's is unique and attractive mostly because it is NOT an organized club. It is an informal weekly gathering of guys who have established friendships and Cobra service related co-dependancies. We gather at Nick's because he is gracious enough to provide us space in his own private business. Nick has a tremendous work load because he is a great mechanic. John Lucido collects 10 bucks a month which is the best deal on the planet. A small amount of that money goes to Nick to compensate for his leased space. The rest of that money is returned to those who contribute with everything from breakfast, pastries, gourmet coffee, direct TV and an occasional summer barbeque hosted and prepared by "chef" Bobby Burns. (oh Yeah!) Again....these benefits center around the room behind Nick's shop because he extends the use of his place of business for us.

Some of the guys gather at HRE. Some gather at Nick's. Sometimes guys pass each other enroute to either location or simply jump in their cars and pop back and forth . Me....I am mostly at Nick's with the larger group but do enjoy a sunny day drive to HRE because we have friends in both places. It's not about a charter allegience, club shirts, flying the same colors etc.
It's actually bigger than that.

We have planned at least 30 LI Cobra Runs to destinations ranging from Lime Rock to Manhattan ( thanks bobby!) to the North/South forks. We have done many day trips that often spur from spontaneity of simply being together on a sunny Saturday. Tony Aprile has been taking the helm the past few years on most of the LICR's resulting in conflict free Cobra fun ! The only conflicts on these LICR's are the trash talking hysterical exchanges by quite a cast of characters ! As info...also attend car meets on 2-3-4 nights per week across the island as well as weekend events. How do we do it ?? The cobra forums, posters, bulletin board notices are key but much....most of it is done by word of mouth. We have been assembling in this disorganized fashion since 1995.

You guys appear to have the right interests in mind. I wish you luck because I know it is not easy to organize groups. But do you know what ?
Why not just try to stick around for a summer and have some fun? You may find the informality of the way we get things done to be the best part of belonging to our group. Personally...I like the freedom we each enjoy individually .......as well as collectively. I have not been to Nick's shop for about 4 weeks but it is my perception you will find most of the guys simply like it as it is. When I say if it ain't broke don't fix it I might rephrase by saying just fire up your Cobras and see what we already have .

Please realize these are MY OWN personal opinions. So feel free to fire away. But ....my 10 bucks will continue to go to 401K. Why ? Because the rest just seems to fall in place.

Jim Marotta
JAM1775

Last edited by JAM1775; 04-11-2006 at 09:27 AM..
Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You silver tongue devil you! Well said ,well done,well put , plain just what I was thinking.
Whats wrong,use guys don't watch the Soprano's. Can't belong to the Mafia if the mafia don't exist.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doesn't Allegra look beautiful ?
Allegra ? That's a cold medicine . What kind of name is that ?
It means "Love Song".
Yeah...And what does that have to do with a cold !
Facheem !!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a Ford 302 Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Hi guys,
Thanks to JAM leaving a notice on FFCobra I was happy to find an active group(s) of Cobra owners on Long Island. I have been building a FFR Cobra for almost 2 years and have it ready for body & paint.
I was surprised to find that the local hangout is Nick's Classic Concepts which is just north of S&K Speed were I have spent a penny or two for parts & engine work. Living in West Islip the Captree Sunday run sounds like a must as soon as I get the car legal. What events are scheduled for 06 so I can plan ahead and meet other owners.
All the best,
NickPz1
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good question Nick. Years ago I did a bunch of runs. The past few Tony A. has been taking the helm with both some old and some really good new ideas. Bobby B. has the Oct NYC run which is a great cap to end a season. This year I am sure things will develop as the season takes shape. There's a bunch of guys on FFC and they have jumped aboard when we go.

Ray...first let me apologize for straying off topic....sometimes I just hear voices.....................
Here's what the guys have done in the past. If you have any new ideas or want to plan a run all you need to do is post it here or at the shop and you're off! If you search this forum under "LICR" you may find past year's threads of prior LI Cobra Runs. Sometimes we'd meet at the shop and other times we'd meet on a Sunday or if more convenient at a central location. We have had very successful runs where only 6-7 cars show up and we have had many 12-15-18-22 long Cobra Snake Lines rumbling along the highway!

For a few years we did re-runs such as a spring season "Leg Stretcher" along Ocean Pkwy, quick jaunt up the Sag to Sunken Meadow Park. Usually this was short due to temps.
The "Port Jeff Window Rumble" happens 1-2 times per year as we roll through the south shore towns of Sayville/Islip on Montauk Hwy turning north on Rte 83 with Port Jeff town center as our destintation. There we'd pop the hoods stay a couple of hours (crowds gather!) and shoot off from there depending on personal schedules.
"Rolling Thunder Winery Run " usually involves a sentimental trip on Sunrise east to our old sentimental W.Hampton Racetrack exit , truning north on Rte 105 straight up to Rte 25-A to Briamere Farms . There we'd grab refreshments hang for a bit then shoot off according to personal schedules.
Lime Rock is a staple when there is an event and there too is the diner stop enroute.
Last year Tony did Greenport twice , two different routes ending with lunch in town on the water.
Sayville has their 2-3 town shows, West Sayville VFD, Sayville Ford etc always draws out the Cobras as well as the Town Fair . Eddie has the helm on the annual north shore Nassau County "Cruiser event" which is top shelf.

These runs are always weather effected. Ones that seemed to be cursed by weather year after year were "Lobster Roll Run" which is similar to the winery route only culminating in a lobster sandwich lunch at Lobster Roll restaurant on north fork east Rte 25-A. The "Hamptons Run" assembling in town center always seemed to invite the clouds as did past plans for a "Montauk Run" for center town asembly. Both these areas can make for heavy traffic problems. The "Riverhead Run" with assembly on the dock behind Main St. got weather cursed a few years in a row.
The big cap and best run is always Bobby B's "Rumble Through The Tunnel" trip to Columbus Circle on an October morning. 5AM...now that's an eye opener ! Awesome.
Ones that never made it past the "poster stage" due to lack of interest were the "Bear Mnt Run" meeting with the Upstate Cobra Club. Valley Forge National Park hosted a huge annual event which is a 3hr haul.
We've hooked up with the Ct. guys a few times. There are numerous weeknight scheduled town Car Meets where most guys gather regularly..... Bald Hill/Oyster Bay/Bellmore RR/ Wading River/ Commack Kohl's/Captree and more..............these St.James/Flowerfield and others are also listed in Special Interest newspaper or on www.specialinterest.com.
So that's it boys.....I'm retiring from this thread because my fingers are dead. Brain was shot years ago.
Ray...you seem to have some good ideas . Thanks again for this sub-forum which sure makes a good place to toss around future run suggestions !!

Last edited by JAM1775; 04-12-2006 at 06:45 AM..