Old 04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default NY Registration Advice

Hi,
I am a new Cobra owner and need some assistance...Live on LI
Can anyone assist me with the details for registering a Cobra that was purchased out of state. The car is a Shell Valley replica that was built in 2002. It was registered in North Carolina as a 2002. What if any issues will I have when I register this vehicle in New York State (I have title, registration as well as all the paperwork from Shell Valley)? Included with the car is an emissions exemption certificate from the sata of North Carolina. will I have emission issues in NY?...Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a Ford 302 Supercharged
Not Ranked     

I'm also just up to Registration, Check out NYDMV
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/homemade.htm it lists some of what you need but it also has numbers to call for help. From what I've read they are very helpful.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

VJP
I am not sure of the process, but you might want to speak to Nick at ( Classic Concepts, West Babylon, 631 643 4611 ). He has guided several of the newer installs through the process.

Tony
Old 04-18-2006, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

VJP,

I am currently in the process of doing what you'll eventually need to do; although my case is slightly different in that my car is already registered, but somehow NYDMV flagged my particular VIN as an improperly-registered vehicle. I have submitted the initial application for VIN and just waiting for the response, then I was going to post the result in the car registration sub forum.

I suggest you go to your friendly DMV office and ask for all the forms needed to register a "homemade vehicle". You may have it a bit easier since the car has already been registered as such, but out of state. Be careful how you fill in form 272-1.

You can PM or EM me direct.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-18-2006, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

Maybe I got lucky. I purchased my Superformance used from out of state (TN). DMV had no issues since I had an out-of-state title and a NYS issued insurance card. Actually, there was one issue with DMV, something about the VIN having a 'O' vs. a 'zero'. All I had to do was call the insurance co, have them change it and then fax it directly to DMV. The whole thing maybe took about 1.5hrs.

Regards

Joe S. - Lake Grove, LI