Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 351W
Not Ranked     
Default NYS Inspection

I have a FFR registered as a 2005 custom and I am due for an inspection. Can anyone recommend a service station familiar with Cobras and the custom inspection?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Spf 392W
Not Ranked     
Default nys inspection

i have a inspection station in westchester,a friend/customer brought his a & c cobra in this summer that was registered as a custom also.no emissions were required, just safety, any reputable shop should be able to do it.
Spf #1739 Roush392 Tremec
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

You can go to any shop, most car guys have a shop they always use for the yearly inspections on their everyday vehicles. When the inspector scans your reg. sticker it will come up as a custom vehicle and it should only need a safety inspection. He just has to follow the intructions on the screen of the machine.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetoes
I have a FFR registered as a 2005 custom and I am due for an inspection. Can anyone recommend a service station familiar with Cobras and the custom inspection?
Fivetoes-
I'm from West Islip too. Go to the Mobil station across from Armitraj Raquet Club on Bay Shore Road. Owners name is Chris. He won't really know about Cobras, but he's very cool and he'll make it easy for you. Tell him Doug the pilot sent you, and you'll be fine. I'd love to check out your car one day.
Doug
Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetoes
Come to Manning Imports in Sea Cliff. Cobra-friendly and familiar with the new "custom registrations". Good excuse for a drive. Ask for Joe Manning.
Contact Information
Telephone/Fax
2 Glenola Ave, Sea Cliff, New York

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a Ford 302 Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Hi guys!
I'm also from West Islip - if you still need some help with an inspection station let me know I know of 2 that are cobra savvy.
All the best,
Old 01-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpz1
Hi guys!
I'm also from West Islip - if you still need some help with an inspection station let me know I know of 2 that are cobra savvy.
All the best,
Jeez - a tiny town like W.I. with two Cobras, and a wannabe! (me). How 'bout that!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, I talked to owner of the service station where I have the family cars inspected and we're going to do the inspection on Saturday. If its a hassle I'll try some others suggested. Nick I'm surprised I havent run into you in W.I. maybe soon.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I had the inspection done Saturday and the car could'nt pass. The machine is looking for catalytic converters and other emmision devices which Tech services and the DMV paperwork told me I don't need. My block is a 1972 351. The owner of the inspection station said I need a letter from Tech services okaying the deletion of these devices. He said because my registration says *NYMA* on it I'm subject to emmisions. Can anybody who's been through the fully legal NYS reg process, and is registered as a custom tell me if *NYMA* appears on they're reggie. If you live upstate it would not state this. I want to get this ironed out properly so that I and other custom owners can go to any station and get a no hassel inspection. Tech services assured me numerous times that I would have no trouble. Anyone out there please help. Thanks again, Jim
CHP2RA likes this.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is alarming news. Again, reason to think that NYDMV don't really know what the heck they're doing other than policing tactics and added revenue generation. We gotta get the SEMA bill going. See the following links with what's going on in Mass. I don't think there's anything going on in NY.
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/wha...scription.html
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/wha...pleletter.html

How can we get together with other car enthusiasts clubs, business concerns on the bandwagon to get our legislators to wake up and get on the ball with this growing issue?

Jim, please let us know what Tech Serv. say when you call? Thanks for the update.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg

Last edited by JCoop; 01-21-2007 at 05:18 AM..
Old 01-21-2007, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just saw this on SEMA newsbits:

New York Senate Committee Approves SEMA-Model Street Rod/Custom Vehicle Bill: After years of inactivity, New York legislation that would create vehicle registration classifications for street rods and custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles is finally moving through the New York state legislature, with the Senate Transportation Committee approving the measure. The bill mirrors SEMA’s model legislation. It was enacted in Illinois in 2002. It currently is awaiting final approval in Missouri and Rhode Island. The bill now moves to the Senate Rules Committee before being scheduled for a vote by the full New York State Senate.

Time for a new thread?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 01-21-2007, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree we need to rally the troops and get this legislation passed. This will not be my last custom car. NYS needs to get the rules straightened out and simplified. It's my understanding that they are requiring anyone who is renewing (and gets flagged) their kit car registration to register in the custom catagory. I built a kit plane in the 90's and the registration and airworthiness certificate was far simpler than this!!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

You may want to give it another try. The inspection station operator might need to simply input the make/model of your car as the year it became road worthy as a custom built car, not a Ford or Cobra replica etc. Even if he enters 1965 Ford Cobra replica the system has your new assigned Albany VIN originating in 2006 /2007.

For example, if the entry under Make/Model is changed to "2007 Custom" on the same screen which your custom assigned Albany VIN is entered it should trigger the DMV records to associate your Albany assigned Custom VIN with the 1972engine block series number.

Last edited by JAM1775; 01-21-2007 at 06:36 AM..
Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Autocraft MKIV
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Registeration

I have some questions about registering a Cobra in NY .. its basically a roller .. anyone with DMV knowledge who can answer some questions ...by email.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey
Jeez - a tiny town like W.I. with two Cobras, and a wannabe! (me). How 'bout that!
FINALLY!! Make that 3 Cobra's in West Islip - I finally pulled the trigger. FiveToes, yours is registered as a 2005? I'll try to talk with the guy I know on Bay Shore road and see if he knows of a way to get you through. The one I just bought is registered as a "1984 Homebuilt". I've not heard of one being registered like that before. It'll be interesting to see what challenges that will present when the time comes. When you were rejected, did they document anything that would prevent you from going to another inspection station to try again? If not, I'll see if Chris can try to get you through. I'll let you know. I'm going to PM you my phone number and email. Keep in touch, hopefully we can get you some help.
Doug
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM1775
You may want to give it another try. The inspection station operator might need to simply input the make/model of your car as the year it became road worthy as a custom built car, not a Ford or Cobra replica etc. Even if he enters 1965 Ford Cobra replica the system has your new assigned Albany VIN originating in 2006 /2007.

For example, if the entry under Make/Model is changed to "2007 Custom" on the same screen which your custom assigned Albany VIN is entered it should trigger the DMV records to associate your Albany assigned Custom VIN with the 1972engine block series number.
He entered CUSTOM under the MAKE/MODEL this in turn sent him to the older test equiptment (non OBDII). This asked him if the car had the list of emmisions devices, which of course it did not. He stopped the test there because he said if he answered no to any of the questions it would result in a failure. He aborted the test at that time and did not charge me or send any info through the system.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

fivetoes,
I live in upstate NY, and my SPF went through the DMV "Custom" process, and received a new VIN and Title describing it as a (year) 2005 (make) Custom (model code) N/A and has the NY assigned VIN beginning NYxxxxx.

My reg/title does not state *NYMA*, but as you stated, rules may be different for downstate (high emission) and upstate (low emission)...
I have managed dealership service departments for over 25 years, and have a good deal of 'real world' experience with the NY DMV. If this is going to be a problem, fortunately I have some DMV contacts so we can get some answers.

One concern I have is that our cars are now over *2* years old as far as the DMV inspection process is concerned (which is computerized/automated at all NYS Inspection stattions). As of 2007, all 2005 and older (thru 1996) vehicles undergo an OBDII connection (and test) as part of the inspection process. All current and previous to current year vehicles (now 2007 and 2006) only undergo a safety inspection. When they turn over 2 years old, they must have the OBDII inspection, for which our "Custom" vehicles will not have an OBDII connector for.
For the first 2 years, my SPF comes up on the state inspection machine as a 2005 Custom (the VIN can be scanned from the registration sticker on the windshield or manually entered using the VIN on the BRIGHT YELLOW tag applied to the vehicle by the DMV when they inspected the car), and only required the safety inspection. I don't know from experience (yet) what will happen for this year's inspection - it SHOULD continue to bypass the OBDII connection part of the inspection because of the "Custom" VIN in the title. This is what I was told back in 2005 when I titled and registered the car in NYS.

Has anyone here passed a NYS Inspection this year (2007) with a 2005 or older "Custom" title? If not, I will run mine through to see what happens (it is not due until September of this year) and give you the results here....

FYI, I have heard from the DMV that (soon) the downstate inspection will no longer use the dyno, and will be basically the same as our upstate inspection (OBDII connection and test for readiness monitors only). If this hasn't happened already, when it does it should make life much simpler for the Metro areas.

My question (for the NY DMV, if you are listening) is, did my/our cars pass the NYS inspection the first 2 years because it was running "safety only inspections" - because of the year, or did it bypass the emissions phase because of the "Custom" make in the title?

One last question for fivetoes....
Is your FFR legitimately titled as a "Custom" because it went through the DMV "Custom" process (inspected by the DMV, assigned a VIN by the state, ect), or is that simply the make and year you used to register the vehicle?
If you went through that whole DMV process, this is not good....
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, speaking of the bright yellow NYS DMV tag, they placed it on top of the cowl on my car, on the paint, behind the windshield where the inspection sticker is. It's sort of an eyesore. I'd much rather have it under the hood somewhere. Do any of you guys have it under the hood? I'll probably destroy this one if I remove it - any idea through experience how difficult it is to get a replacement? I'd go to the DMV to ask, but only as a last resort - every trip there, no matter how innocuous, turns into a nightmare.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR#2562 306ci Performer RPM Alum. Heads & Intake, Holley Carb, FMS E303 Cam, 1.6 Alum Roller Rockers, T-5 Tranny, 8.8" Rear w/3.73's, 17x10.5" Bullits w/ 315/35/17 Nitto DR's & 17x9" @ /255/40/17 Nitto 555's...
Not Ranked     
Default VIN Sticker

I have my FFR Mk II titled as a 2004 Custom Convertible...
They placed the Yellow VIN Sticker on the frame rail, under the dash near the steering shaft.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

My BRIGHT YELLOW VIN sticker was placed in the door opening of the driver door. Compound inside curve - the sticker wrinkled when he put it on and it looks awful (but the car IS registered legit) - the DMV inspector insisted that it had to be visible without opening the hood.

Glad he didn't put it on the cowl above the dash!!!

I have seen the NY VIN sticker in a different place in every car. An ERA had the sticker under the hood (on the firewall), other SPF had it inside the car on the LF kick panel.

Tariq...
Tell us about your last (2006) NY inspection. What did they do? Safety only?
thanks,
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY