CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     
Default 49 Greatest Auto Racing Quotes

49 greatest auto racing quotes

To finish first, you must first finish. – Rick Mears

2. Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second. – Bobby Unser

3. The winner ain’t the one with the fastest car, it’s the one who refuses to lose. – Dale Earnhardt

4. You win some, you lose some, you wreck some. – Dale Ernhardt Sr.

5. Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

6. The client is not always right. – Enzo Ferrari

7. If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck. – Jeff Foxworthy.

8. Need to tie some kerosene rags around his ankles so the ants don’t eat his candy ass. – Dale Earnhardt speaking of Mark Martin.

9. The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical. – F1 commentator Murray Walker.

10. Turbochargers are for people who cant build engines. – Keith Duckworth

11. Here Kitty Kitty Kitty! – Tony Stewart

12. We broke something, I think it was traction… – Carl Edwards after getting spun out by Dale Jr. at Michigan

13. Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports… all the others are games. – Ernest Hemingway

14. Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls. – Stirling Moss

15. Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson

16. I don’t know driving in another way which isn’t risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other’s. – Ayrton Senna

17. It is amazing how may drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down. – Mario Andretti

18. Once you’ve raced, you never forget it…and you never get over it. – Richard Childress

19. Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win. – Enzo Ferrari

20. There’s no secret. You just press the accelerator to the floor and steer left. – Bill Vukovich

21. To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster. – Sterling Moss

22. What’s behind you doesn’t matter. – Enzo Ferrari

23. When you win a race you’re on top that day, so take it for what its worth, have a good time and party, cause the next day when you get out of bed, the meter goes back to zero again. – Bobby Allison

24. No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

25. If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. – Mark Donohue

26. If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

27. Mr. Bentley – He builds fast trucks. – Ettore Bugatti

28. Why worry about death, it’ll come sooner or later. – Jim Dunn

29. Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson

30. Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built. – Henry Ford

31. As far as cheating goes, they’ll never stop it. The only way it can be done successfully, only one person can know about it. – Smokey Yunick

32. It’s like flying jet fighters in a gymnasium – Dick Trickle was asked what racing at Windchester Speedway was like.

33. You can’t fix stupid – Larry Morgan, NHRA Pro Stock driver

34. You can tell that you’re in trouble when you feel the air on the back of your neck instead of in your face. – Buddy Baker

35. I got hit in the head pretty hard. My clock ran backwards for two years. – Buddy Baker

36. He ran out of talent about halfway through the corner. – Buddy Baker

37. After the third flip, I lost control………… – Don Roberts after crashing in the Jade Grenade at New England Dragway in 1975.

38. We worked 80 hour weeks for 30 years to keep from having to get a real job. – Tom Lemon’s comment on the rigors of being a drag racing.

39. It’s basically the same, just darker. – Alan Kulwicki, on racing Saturday nights as opposed to Sunday afternoons.

40. Auto racing is boring except when a car is going at least 172 miles per hour upside down. – Dave Barry

41. If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari. – Gilles Villeneuve

42. There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today, and four of them are Michael Schumacher. – Murray Walker

43. When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round. – Hans Stuck

44. I love this kind of racing, (but) these guys sure change their personalities in race mode. They’re like Doberman Pinschers with a hand grenade in their mouths. – Road racer Boris Said speaking of NEXTEL Cup drivers.

45. The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses. – Mario Andretti

46. When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones. – Cristiano Da Matta

47. Moonshiners put more time, energy, thought, and love into their cars than any racer ever will. Lose on the track, and you go home. Lose with a load of whiskey, and you go to jail. – Junior Johnson, NASCAR legend, and one time whiskey runner.

48. There have been other tracks that separated the men from the boys. This is the track that will separate the brave from the weak after the boys are gone. – Driver Jimmy Thompson speaking about Daytona International Speedway.

49. Winning is everything. The only ones who remember you when you come second are your wife and your dog. – Damon Hill

via
Old 03-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

# 50: What is the difference in day and night? It is dark at night. Juan Montoya after a reporter asked him that question.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 03-07-2010 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

#51: "Whoops" is a word that should never be said by some professionals - Pilots, Racing car drivers, and hair colourists come immediately to mind but Dentists also have to be up in the top five.

Richard Stubbs

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

# 52: "I ran outta brakes,tires,track and most importantly talent on the entry to turn 2" ,going into a large run-off area at about 110 mph sending up a large cloud of dust and grass.....

Yours truly a couple of years ago at NPR Raceway Park to my buddy that asked "what in the hell happened out there?"

David
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

A friend who rolled his Camaro at Bridgehampton around 1971 during a Trans Am was asked if it was "Brake Fade" by ABC. Paul replied, "Nope, Brain fade...."

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

# 53: "Racing is life, everything else is just waiting for the next one..." - Steve McQueen
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

54. It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead. - Sir Sterling Moss

55. It's better to go into an elevator slow than it is to go into an elevator shaft at any speed. - Sir Sterling Moss
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

"The b!tch blowed up!" DW?

"That car is jus' all ate up with motor!!!" DW

"Son, I was racin' before we HAD air!" AJ, replying to his driver who has just pasted his chassis all over the turn three wall saying "I got into some dirty air"

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Thanks! There are some good lines. I have heard some of these before.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
54. It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead. - Sir Sterling Moss

55. It's better to go into an elevator slow than it is to go into an elevator shaft at any speed. - Sir Sterling Moss
I didn't get #55 until I saw this:

http://technorati.com/sports/article...ss-injured-in/

Wow, sad - it could have been a lot worse.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had the great good fortune to attend a school at Watkins Glen the week before the GP. [wo, wo many years ago!!] We had 3 "Guest instructors" Stirling Moss, Jimmy Clark, and some old guy [not then] named Shelby!
Fat ,dumb and happy as I was then, I didn't think it was any big deal. 3 LEGENDS, no biggie! Ain't youth wasted?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Great post!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Carroll Shelby Standing in for Injured Stirling Moss at Amelia Island Concours

http://www.insideline.com/car-news/c...-concours.html
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

#58 "Hopefully we can bring the car home with more pieces than the last time." - J. Montoya
Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

I just have to say that Sir Stirling Moss is one tough old man. To fall 3 stories down an elevator shaft at 80 years old and survive is one tough SOB. I am not sure I could survive a 3 story fall at 36.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison- 351C
Not Ranked     

Newman's first law: It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.

-Paul Newman
Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

"You haven't lived until you have gone down the back straight at Daytona at 180 mph,,,,,,backwards". Francis Afflick, a friend who died in a crash at Daytona a year or two after telling me this, some 25 or 30 years ago.

Wayne
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Maybury View Post
"You haven't lived until you have gone down the back straight at Daytona at 180 mph,,,,,,backwards". Francis Afflick, a friend who died in a crash at Daytona a year or two after telling me this, some 25 or 30 years ago.

Wayne

Traveling at less than 50mph on Daytona's high banking makes the car feel like its going to roll over, down the banking. I've gone around there slow and found myself leaning 'up' toward the passengers side!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Same at Fontana...and it's flat compared to Daytona.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Colt 1911
Not Ranked     

"If you are upside down and on fire, you may have been going too fast." - Unknown

"Life is too short to drive a slow car."

"Racing makes a herion addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan

"No risk, no fun." Michael Schumacher

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: