Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     
Default Too much car automation?

A thread elsewhere on this forum is asking for help in fashioning a traction control system (TCS) for a Cobra replica with a big engine in it. It started me thinking about where I would draw the line in automating some of the functions in my car. I can see that solving the technological problems of installing a TCS in a Cobra replica would be interesting and satisfying to do. And I can see that it would likely end up in a car that was quicker off the line most of the time than I would be driving it manually. But I'm reminded of an experimental car I saw demonstrated on Top Gear. It was entirely capable of driving itself around a track at maximum speed once it had put the track layout into its GPS memory. The "driver" simply went along for the ride.

If the objective of a high performance car is to get its passengers to the destination as quickly as possible, then automating traction control, throttle control, shifting, braking, etc. seems a reasonable way to go. But if the objective is to engage the driver in ways that excite and satisfy, automation seems counterproductive. In a Cobra it would seem to serve the same purpose as engines that produce unuseable amounts of excess power. It gives the owner without driving skills something to brag about.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Hal: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

:lol:

Last edited by Tom Wells; 03-02-2010 at 07:39 AM..
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Traction control is your right foot.

One of the things I love about the Cobra is how primative it is, and I plan on keeping mine that way.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I agree with John. We had a guy here that spent over $150K putting traction control, remote start, super sound system, and everything else he could think of into his Cobra. It was like a rolling movie theater. He had a fold out of the dash 10" screen that he could watch DVD movies on. When he went to sell the car he almost never found a buyer. To me a Cobra is a raw power no frills car, not a smaller version of a Cadillac.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post

One of the things I love about the Cobra is how primative it is, and I plan on keeping mine that way.
I could not say this any better. I agree 100%.

Wayne
Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I agree with John.

I design features all day long and there more than I can remember how to use.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post

X2! Hell, I get pi$$ed when I see PS/PB on a Cobra....
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
A thread elsewhere on this forum is asking for help in fashioning a traction control system (TCS) for a Cobra replica with a big engine in it. It started me thinking about where I would draw the line in automating some of the functions in my car. I can see that solving the technological problems of installing a TCS in a Cobra replica would be interesting and satisfying to do. And I can see that it would likely end up in a car that was quicker off the line most of the time than I would be driving it manually. But I'm reminded of an experimental car I saw demonstrated on Top Gear. It was entirely capable of driving itself around a track at maximum speed once it had put the track layout into its GPS memory. The "driver" simply went along for the ride.

If the objective of a high performance car is to get its passengers to the destination as quickly as possible, then automating traction control, throttle control, shifting, braking, etc. seems a reasonable way to go. But if the objective is to engage the driver in ways that excite and satisfy, automation seems counterproductive. In a Cobra it would seem to serve the same purpose as engines that produce unuseable amounts of excess power. It gives the owner without driving skills something to brag about.
From years of doing factory automation - if you try and make things idiot proof you get a better class idiot. no idiot should be allowed to drive a cobra
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Darn it Maurice, quit singling me out to prove your point.

Ron

Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Butler View Post
From years of doing factory automation - if you try and make things idiot proof you get a better class idiot. no idiot should be allowed to drive a cobra
"There's no such thing as idiot-proof because idiots are so darned inventive." - Anonymous
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

There are two things I'd love to see on my cobra...
1) ABS, I enjoy the help on slick roads and imagine how many hotrods wouldn't be stuck in a fence/wall/ditch with it.
2) Nissan's manual rev-match, cool feature a buddies new Z has. It auto-blips the throttle when you go for a manual down shift...'cause matching revs is cool, but hard to do in a cobra with size 13 feet.

I believe stability control is a nice feature, but it should be like the Corvette or Ferrari...progressive and have multiple settings including OFF! The rest of the gizmos are just reasons to try and bandaid bad drivers from hurting themselves or us, wait, maybe they are a good thing.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Darn it Maurice, quit singling me out to prove your point.

Ron
because you when with the most automated system - gps driving a car - where is the fun in that, may as well be on a train or roller coaster.

Maurice

ps got my hands on the glass for the windscreen - getting closer
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBomber90 View Post
X2! Hell, I get pi$$ed when I see PS/PB on a Cobra....
Just out of curiosity why would you want to get pissed at somebody else's dream? I am putting PS in my Cobra. cause' I got two snapped roter-cuffs, one in each shoulder. PS gives me the opportunity to enjoy my Cobra without causing excruciating pain when turning into a parking space. So if you happen to see me driving by with a big wide grin in a SPF MK111 with a 511 8 stack rated at 600 HP with the same amount of torque, you'll know why, no pain, but big enjoyment and really DGAF at what anyone thinks. tin-man
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I don't think anyone is getting pissed as you put it about what people put on their cars. I had power brakes on mine because they were a big help. It is the $15K sound systems and remote starters and such they I was talking about. And the pop out movie screen that came out of the dash. Even the guy that built the car wished he hadn't put all of that after it was finished and then when he went to sell it he really wished he hadn't done it. I don't care what anyone puts in their car as it is theirs and if they like it that is what counts. I got told more than once that I was a fool for putting in power brakes, but I have a bad leg and hip and they made a lot of difference, especially when racing.

Ron

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I don't think anyone is getting pissed as you put it about what people put on their cars. I had power brakes on mine because they were a big help. It is the $15K sound systems and remote starters and such they I was talking about. And the pop out movie screen that came out of the dash. Even the guy that built the car wished he hadn't put all of that after it was finished and then when he went to sell it he really wished he hadn't done it. I don't care what anyone puts in their car as it is theirs and if they like it that is what counts. I got told more than once that I was a fool for putting in power brakes, but I have a bad leg and hip and they made a lot of difference, especially when racing.

Ron
Hi Ron, no issues, I was discussing the concept of why somebody would feel that way at what somebody else had put into their ride. Seems to me its kinda personal what each of us do and for some guy to get pissed at the notion of PS seems a bit off the mark as to what this Cobra forum is all about, just my two cents worth. tin-man
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the only people that really get ticked about anything not like an original are the purists. It was one of them that was on me abut the power brakes and my Cobra was not even close to looking like an original. I never say anything to anyone about what they have on their cars, but I finally pointed out to this person that the originals never came with 750 horse 512 cubic inch engines like he had in his. And I see a lot of things that I think improve the safety and handling of the cars that weren't available back in the early 60s. But just as in all things, cars or otherwise, there are always going to be some people that will tell you all the wrong things you have done. I just ignore them unless they point out something that would work better than what I have.

Ron

Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spoken like a true Gent.tin-man
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Butler View Post
Yes, and those idiots survive and breed.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

Ron61. Something funny happens when a supposed 'purist' discusses my less than authentic FFR once said 'purist' is told that as a previous 1965 CSX 3--- 427 Cobra owner back in the 60's (yea, I'm old) that my home made toy brings me just as much pleasure.
I'm reminded of a joke where a man arrives at a brothel. While standing naked in front of the young lady the lady made comment about the mans diminutive appendage. She asked, "who do you plan to please with that? The man replied-------ME!
Ron
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good answer. My Factory Five Coupe is no closer to being like an original than my Roadster was. As I said, I never say anything bad about anyone's cars, but the ones that go around pointing out all the things wrong with other peoples cars are for the most part driving replicas with fiberglass bodies and huge engines. As for old, I still have memories of my Fred Flintstone type car with the feet used for brakes . And I think most of the well built replicas, no matter which brand are for the most part safer and better than the originals.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Ron61. Something funny happens when a supposed 'purist' discusses my less than authentic FFR once said 'purist' is told that as a previous 1965 CSX 3--- 427 Cobra owner back in the 60's (yea, I'm old) that my home made toy brings me just as much pleasure.
I'm reminded of a joke where a man arrives at a brothel. While standing naked in front of the young lady the lady made comment about the mans diminutive appendage. She asked, "who do you plan to please with that? The man replied-------ME!
Ron