• 1 Post By ram_g
  • 1 Post By Paul F

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     
Default One Post After 14 years of membership?

In a recently closed thread, Cobra Dreaming posted a note. Dreaming's join date is 2001 and the post count is 1. I've seen this before from another member.

What's the story? No one joins a forum and then decides to post 14 years later.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Paul,

There will always be lurkers and those who feel they don't have anything to contribute if they don't have a Cobra. Every site has them and we have some that never posted for a few years and then they started posting when they could finally get a Cobra or were looking at them and had some questions to ask. I haven't seen the thread you referred to so I don't know if that was the case in this instance or not.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-05-2015, 04:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
In a recently closed thread, Cobra Dreaming posted a note. Dreaming's join date is 2001 and the post count is 1. I've seen this before from another member.

What's the story? No one joins a forum and then decides to post 14 years later.

Paul,

There are plenty of lurkers on the forum. They prefer to not post, or feel uncomfortable not posting in public. Do a lot via email or PM when they have questions as they feel embarrassed to ask such things in public. They instead log in on a daily or semi daily basis and absorb everything they can about the car(s) they are interested in. They are the ones here strictly to learn, and have no interest in the conversational part of the forum. Nothing wrong with that at all, to each his/her own.

Then again, some people open accounts so they can see the attachments, or respond to a classified post.

Enjoy the day.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

I'm on a watch forum, and have been a "member" for about 8 years. I posted for the first time the other day.

I hit that forum about once a week, mostly for the classifieds, but also to do some quick research. And usually, like here, a quick search answers about 99.99% of the questions
Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Paul,

To answer your question, at least two.

I think those two do not balance out the huge number of posters who really should just lurk.

Pat
dallas_ and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Or, some use the search function and get the answers without started a new thread
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I own a forum relating to an entirely different subject and can say that this is very normal. Some of the most reliable visitors are lurkers. They have been logging in every day since the beginning of the forum and have yet to post. Then there are the people that visit daily that never even join.
Look at this, my first post after lots of lurking.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
Paul,

I think those two do not balance out the huge number of posters who really should just lurk.

Pat
Well said. Although entertaining, there has been quite a bit of diarrhea on the forum of late.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been a member since the early days of this forum, and after a few crashes or software upgrades or changing to a different server, I have had my post count significantly reduce several times and even reset to zero once so, as far as I am concerned you can't rely on the post counts to be accurate, I see I have less than 200 when I should have several thousand, I don't post as much anymore, but I did a lot in the beginning.

Dean

Last edited by kanuck; 01-05-2015 at 08:16 AM..
Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

Maybe they are like Rip Van Winkle and just woke up!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I posted for the first time too the other day, after about 2-1/2 years of official membership and a few years before that of casual non-member surfing. I do own a Cobra, FFR #6720, and am a bit more active on the FFR forums; but even there my post count is a just over 1000 in over 6 years of membership, so it's not like I'm hugely active there either.

Just like to read the forums and "mind my own business". Nothing wrong with that, I don't think...?
joyridin' likes this.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing at all.

I have a lot of respect for those that keep silent until they have something worthwhile to say. The old saying "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear" has a lot of merit.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Nothing at all.

I have a lot of respect for those that keep silent until they have something worthwhile to say. The old saying "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear" has a lot of merit.
There's a reason humans have two eyes and two ears - but only one mouth.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC
Not Ranked     

I have been around for a long time myself without posting much. The other extreme is also out there with folks that have to comment on each and every post. I like being the strong silent type. ;-)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pat,

That is well put. We have some on our site that just log on once in a while to read the build threads and send a PM. Then one guy some time back who has been a member for over 2 years started posting. He had been looking for a kit and was just reading the posts until he found one and now he has a build thread and posts quite often.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
Paul,

Pat

View my Miscellaneous Gallery