1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Neutral     
Default Any ideas for selling a "barn find" 1965 Mustang Coupe

I am involved with the estate of one of my aunts who died recently.

She owned a 1965 Mustang Coupe. It has been garaged since sometime in the 1970s and was last driven in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

If you have any idea for any Mustang forums where I could market the car that would be helpful.

I will get take some pictures later today. If you have any ideas for what pictures would be good that would also be helpful.

We are not in a rush to sell the car. We have not found the keys or the title yet.

The car is located in Buck County PA.

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 02-28-2015 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: added location
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
I am involved with the estate of one of my aunts who died recently.

She owned a 1965 Mustang Coupe. It has been garaged since sometime in the 1970s and was last driven in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

If you have any idea for any Mustang forums where I could market the car that would be helpful.

I will get take some pictures later today. If you have any ideas for what pictures would be good that would also be helpful.

We are not in a rush to sell the car. We have not found the keys or the title yet.

The car is located in Buck County PA.
Ken,

Will await pictures, VIN, and door data plate information before making suggestions. If you don't want to post that information here, you have my cell and email information.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Should I NOT disclose the full VIN?

Warranty Number: 5F07C336540

Year: 5 1965
Plant: F Dearborn, MI
Body Series: 07 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: C 289 2v V8
Unit: 336540 336540

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color: M Wimbledon White
Trim: 26 Black Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 28K October 28, 1964
D.S.O: 15 Newark
Axle: 6 2.80:1, Conventional
Trans: 6 C4 Automatic

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 03-01-2015 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: I added the full VIN number
Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

On a basic Mustang coupe, a VIN disclosure is not a big deal. Did you get the other pictures and inspect the areas I texted you yesterday?

Bill S.

Quote:
Should I NOT disclose the full VIN?

Warranty Number: 5F07C??????

Year: 5 1965
Plant: F Dearborn, MI
Body Series: 07 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: C 289 2v V8
Unit: ?????? ??????

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color: M Wimbledon White
Trim: 26 Black Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 28K October 28, 1964
D.S.O: 15 Newark
Axle: 6 2.80:1, Conventional
Trans: 6 C4 Automatic

Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the story with the car. My grandparents bought the Mustang for my aunt as a used car most likely in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I only recall my aunt driving the car a few times. To pick me up after school or from swimming lessons when I was in elementary school and I finished elementary school in 1976. So the car was bought used sometime before 1976.

There is a sticker showing that the car was serviced on 7-22-78 with Mobil Super oil at 56,520 miles. The last inspection sticker is from January 1988 and the mileage is currently 56,942. So the car was driven 422 miles over the 10 year period from 1978 to 1988. We found a driver's license for my aunt that was last renewed in 1987. I suspect that my grandfather got tired of paying for my aunt's driver's license, car registration, insurance, maintenance, etc. when my aunt hardly ever drove. So after he stopped paying for those expenses, the car just sat in the garage. Perhaps most of the 422 miles over the 10 year period was just my grandfather taking the car out for its annual safety inspection. The car was always kept in my grandparent's garage after they purchased it. For all I know the car could have been purchased used with around 56,000 miles and it was just hardly ever driven.

At some point I think one of my parents had told me that my aunt was over reporting the mileage when she was registering the car because she did not want the government to know that she was driving so little, she wanted them to think she was driving more. I don't know if that is really the case. I tried to see what the reported mileage was by entering the VIN at carfax and autocheck, but neither site liked the VIN probably because it is for such an old car. In any case, I am certain that the mileage on the odometer is correct.

When I grabbed my camera yesterday, I did not realize the battery was almost down to nothing, so I started taking pictures, but then had to switch to taking pictures with my cell phone. When the garage door was open two neighbors came by to inquire about the car and asked if it was for sale. My mom did not like the idea of people coming in to look at the car, so we closed the garage. So the lighting is not that great and the space was tight around the car which did not make it easy to get some decent shots.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was too lazy to downsize the pictures before uploading them.

I just went back and downsized the pictures on the server I had them on.

That is more than dust inside. Maybe mildew? But I suppose that should clean up.

A bit of rust.

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 03-08-2015 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Added the comment about downsizing the pictures.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That looks like an interior repair with electrical tape.

Behind rear passenger tire is a spot that has rusted through to make a bit of a hole.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Switching to cellphone pictures here...

Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stain or touch-up paint?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

We have not found the keys yet, so there are no pictures of the trunk interior.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All I can tell you is that for a nicely restored comparably equipped driver coupe currently would bring only about $14-18K. The bad news is that it would take you 5 times that much dough to get your car to that stage. You have some desireable early '65 parts that might be usable to some professional Mustang/Shelby restorers, so that is probably where I would start in regards to trying to unload it.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Ken,

Sent you a text.

Bill S.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

Looks like the rear wheel wells are rusted thru in spots and the outer quarter in front of the the rear wheels is rusted thru to the outer surface. Hard to tell on the frame rails or floor pans. Otherwise looks lika a faily solid car and looks like its panels are straight. not been in an accident or if it was, it's been repaired properly. Wish you were near me, I might pick it up for my daughter.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My parents found the owner's manual and the original bill of sale from 1971. The keys have not been found yet.

Since I downsized the pictures on the server, I have made both the full resolution pictures and the downsized pictures available here: 1965 Mustang

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 03-08-2015 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: graameer and speling
Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My parents found the owner's manual and the original bill of sale from 1971. The keys have not been found yet.

Since I downsized the pictures on the server, I have made both the full resolution pictures and the downsized pictures available here: 1965 Mustang
Did you look in the air cleaner for an extra set of keys as I suggested?

Surprised title was not with Bill of Sale, still a nice item to have though.

Did you ask your kids if they want to have a neat father/son/daughter project? Keep it in the family, restore it over the long term?

Bill S.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I may go over to the house this weekend to help my parents go through things. I can look for the keys if I get over there.

I have thought a bit about keeping the car, but I probably don't need another money pit now. I need to focus on paying off my divorce. Maybe for a cheap project I should think about something a lot newer like a Miata...
Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last weekend I found the original title in an entertainment center with a bunch of toy stuffed animals after my parents had ordered a replacement title. This morning my mom found the keys in a change purse behind a bunch of boxes on the top shelf of a closet.

I did check for the keys in the air cleaner and they were not there.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Last weekend I found the original title in an entertainment center with a bunch of toy stuffed animals after my parents had ordered a replacement title. This morning my mom found the keys in a change purse behind a bunch of boxes on the top shelf of a closet.

I did check for the keys in the air cleaner and they were not there.
Fresh oil, fresh battery, see if it cranks. Do not go wild with changing anything else out (yet).

Bill S.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: