LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Default New Companion for the Cobra

I've recently added a new companion for the Cobra to the "toy box":

It's a '74 Ferrari "Dino" 308 GT4. I've bought it primarily as an investment because I don't think they'll stay as cheap as they currently are for very much longer, but it's proving to be an absolute delight to drive.

Paul
Old 11-26-2015, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Nice....Im keen to get into a Ferrari
Old 11-26-2015, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They're all increasing in value, but the Mondial and the 348 probably represent the first rung on the Ferrari ladder now, the position previously held by the 308 GT4.
The 308 GT4 increased in value by around 40% last year, so they're finally starting to be appreciated as the fine cars that they are and the sharp Bertone '70's styling is coming back into fashion again.
People who know Ferraris claim that the 308 GT4 is one of the best handling Ferraris there is after the F40. It has a slightly longer wheelbase than the GTB/GTS due to the 2+2 seating and it also has a decent boot/trunk behind the engine, so it's a great weekend car. And of course, it makes a glorious noise.

Paul
Old 11-26-2015, 02:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is a very nice looking car and I think it will increase in value after a few more years. Congratulations.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-26-2015, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ferrari's look good and sound awesome, but what about the service costs? It seems like most owners end up not driving them, perhaps because when something happens - it's in the thousands of dollars to fix, minimum. Some of them need to have the engine taken out as part of a scheduled service visit.

My research indicates that Ferrari's end up costing more than a high-maintenance girlfriend or wife or girlfriend and wife.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't had it long enough to know what the total cost of ownership is going to be. However, from what I've seen so far, the price of parts isn't too much different to the Cobra. The 308 is old school technology, albeit with overhead cams. It has carbs and conventional electronics so I should be able to tackle most jobs myself. Having said that, it needed a new clutch, so I got someone to do that for me. It was done with the engine in situ and took less than a day with the cost of parts being less than $500, which I didn't think was too bad.
I suspect later model Ferraris with fuel injection, engine management and electronic suspension gubbins etc. may well be a different proposition.

Paul
Old 11-27-2015, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

The bid deal with that engine is the timing belt which is a substantial job, required @ 30,000 mi.
Anything that old, you want to see if it was done or plan on it. If it goes you engine will devour itself. I believe it can be done through the rear wheel well.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

The bid deal with that engine is the timing belt which is a substantial job, required @ 30,000 mi.
Anything that old, you want to see if it was done or plan on it. If it goes your engine will devour itself. I believe it can be done through the rear wheel well.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tim,

The belts and tensioners were done less than 10,000 miles ago, so we're good for a little while yet.
It's actually not that big a job on a 308, as you rightly say, they can be done through the right rear wheel arch.
The whole engine and gearbox was rebuilt at the same time. The body and chassis appears to have been thoroughly Waxoyl'd from new and is in really solid and original condition. The bottoms of the doors and sills are as good as new and the edges of the wheel arches are not far off either.
There is a small blemish on the rear edge of the passenger door and the rear valance above the exhausts could do with being looked at, but other than that, it's all good and drives beautifully.
Paul
Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Do you have to keep them in separate garages?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, but I keep my Harley and Vincent between them so they can't get at each other.

Paul