17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Clear film Spats

Ok just go our car painted and we are looking at clear film to do the spats. I know a lot of threads on other products but really want something that doesn't stick out. Film hides pretty good. Would you also do the front part of the nose ?? I am sure the film stuff has moved up in quality over the years..

thanks
Dan

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
Ok just go our car painted and we are looking at clear film to do the spats. I know a lot of threads on other products but really want something that doesn't stick out. Film hides pretty good. Would you also do the front part of the nose ?? I am sure the film stuff has moved up in quality over the years..

thanks
Dan
Grumpy,

I'd do the side spats (you will still get chips), the rest, personally, I would not bother as you are going to get chips no matter what you do. Wear them as a badge of honor.

Bill S.

PS: Do not add anything to cover the paint for at least 3 months, as the paint, even though it is cured, will continue to out-gas at temps above 50 degrees for the next 90 days

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Bill it was painted an baked .. Still have to wait ?? Thinking of the XPEL ULTIMATE after reading a lot of reviews. Car was painted the day before Thanksgiving.

thanks
Dan

Now ... The dogs car
Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would wait at least 30 days for the fresh paint to cure completely unless it was baked.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I did the clear bra spats on my painted car, worked great, the guy even came to my house to do it, I always clear bra the headlights as well, saves the glass from breaking or plastics lenses from yellowing...
Old 01-05-2016, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

The clear film is the best investment you can make in the car if you have a high dollar paint job IMO
About 2weeks after painting and cut and buff I did my complete nose about 2/3 up to hood opening, tops of doors down about 4" on sides (mainly to protect from side curtains), spats on rear fenders and bottom of rear fenders.
40K miles later still looks like it came out of the paint shop a week ago. Sure, if you look real close you can see some marks in the film, but NO paint chips. I do all my vehicles with clear as soon as I get them. I have a 2001 gmc p/u with 200K and no paint chips or rust on the hood.
Best stuff ever.
Craig
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
Hey Bill it was painted an baked .. Still have to wait ?? Thinking of the XPEL ULTIMATE after reading a lot of reviews. Car was painted the day before Thanksgiving.

thanks
Dan
Dan,

I used to tell my customers that 90 days was the trick, and I baked everything as well. My tech reps (PPG, Sherwin Williams, & Dupont) all agreed, 60-90 days for out-gassing at temps above 50 degrees. Below 50 degrees, even if overnight for a few hours, and the paint stops curing, once above 50 degrees it will continue to cure for up to 90 days.

So yes, even though it was baked at time of cure, it is HIGHLY suggested that you wait the 90 days and play it safe. Otherwise, and I'm sure you have heard of, or seen for yourself, tiny bubbles lifting the paint.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-06-2016, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. Just goin to drive it home for now an do something when it warms up ya it was a pricey paint job.. aren't they all ??

Now ... The dogs car
Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

These guys keep talking about chips but I have to say, with the front of mine cleared they have been few and far between.
For spats I'd give serious consideration to going with the thicker of two versions and even if there is no pattern, that area is easy to cut a pattern for spats. From 10' out they're pretty hard to see.
You can even go with the DIY spray version.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
These guys keep talking about chips but I have to say, with the front of mine cleared they have been few and far between.
For spats I'd give serious consideration to going with the thicker of two versions and even if there is no pattern, that area is easy to cut a pattern for spats. From 10' out they're pretty hard to see.
You can even go with the DIY spray version.
I am just goin to do the spats. As Bill said chips are "patina" . I can live with them.. This car is a driver.

Now ... The dogs car

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: