Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Spam Posts?

Admins--There has been a big increase in spam posts. It started with Guzey, and now there are a few screen names posting BS. Ramlukopsu is the latest one. What can be done?

Sorry if this is not the right place--move or delete as you see fit.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

As I've said several times in the past week in different threads...hit the Report Post tab that's been on every post for years. It goes immediately to me via email (I'm the only moderator currently) instead of finding a thread/post like this or getting a PM. The email to me gives me a link to the suspect thread, which allows me to go directly to the thread even if I don't have the site open on my computer or phone. It takes me less than a minute to:

1. Ban the user permanently.
2. Delete ALL posts by that user on the site.

Typically,one spammer will do a mass posting in various forums on this site. I cannot see them all even when I have the site up....there are simply too many forums. I just need one member to tap one Report Post on one thread.

The last one you named above generated this post,and a PM from another member...neither which helps a whole of a lot without a link. Both of you would have me searching the entire site looking for whatever it is you're complaining about.

Hit the Report Post...and as described above I can wipe out dozens of posts as soon as I get the automatically generated email which includes the link to the reported post. Ron61 did it, and I had the user banned and all of his posts wiped out in a matter of minutes.

In the event you or others (some of whom have been here for quite awhile) don't know which button it is...look in the upper right hand region of every post on this site and you will see a cute little white triangle lined in red with an exclamation point in the middle. If you hover over it...it even tells you what it is.

Doesn't take any typing or suggestions or anything else...just tap it one time.

This site is huge, and it's 24/7...I move immediately whenever possible as soon as I become aware of a spam...tap the tab.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jamo; 07-18-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo,
Thanks for the response. Before posting this I spent some time looking for a "report this post" button or something similar as on other forums, but couldn't find it. I checked again after reading this, and I still don't see it. Maybe a sticky is in order for those of us who can't figure it out on our own?

Thanks,
AC
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
As I've said several times in the past week in different threads...hit the damn Report Post tab that's been on every post for years. It goes immediately to me via email (I'm the only moderator currently) instead of finding a thread/post like this or getting a PM. The email to me gives me a link to the suspect thread, which allows me to go directly to the thread even if I don't have the site open on my computer or phone. It takes me less than a minute to:

1. Ban the user permanently.
2. Delete ALL posts by that user on the site.

Typically,one spammer will do a mass posting in various forums on this site. I cannot see them all even when I have the site up....there are simply too many forums. I just need one member to tap one Report Post on one thread.

The last one you named above generated this post,and a PM from another member...neither which helps a whole of a lot without a link. Both of you would have me searching the entire site looking for whatever it is you're complaining about.

Hit the Report Post...and as described above I can wipe out dozens of posts as soon as I get the automatically generated email which includes the link to the reported post. Ron61 did it, and I had the user banned and all of his posts wiped out in a matter of minutes.

In the event you or others (some of whom have been here for quite awhile) don't know which button it is...look in the upper right hand region of every post on this site and you will see a cute little white triangle lined in red with an exclamation point in the middle. If you hover over it...it even tells you what it is.

Doesn't take any typing or suggestions or anything else...just tap it one time.

This site is huge, and it's 24/7...I move immediately whenever possible as soon as I become aware of a spam...tap the tab.

Thanks.
Jamo: These posts have no content and no 'Report Post' flag - I've looked. I don't know what the poster is doing, or perhaps it's the site software, but that's what I'm seeing.

Perhaps Brent could implement a filter or script that would prevent this crap from cluttering up the site.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

There already are filters and every post I have deleted has a ReportPost. The ones that have no content are the ones being caught by the filter and the content is being blocked until the system decides whether to delete the post.
cycleguy55 likes this.

Last edited by Jamo; 07-18-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Jamo,
Thanks for the response. Before posting this I spent some time looking for a "report this post" button or something similar as on other forums, but couldn't find it. I checked again after reading this, and I still don't see it. Maybe a sticky is in order for those of us who can't figure it out on our own?

Thanks,
AC
Have you looked? There has been a sticky about reporting posts in All Cobra Talk (the main forum here) since 2006.

Did you actually look before making a suggestion?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Have you looked? There has been a sticky about reporting posts in All Cobra Talk (the main forum here) since 2006.

Did you actually look before making a suggestion?
Jamo,
I spent about 10 minutes looking (again) before I wrote the response.

I also searched for "report" "spam" "block" and did not come up with a sticky, thus my post.

There was a very clear explanation a few minutes ago by ComputerWorks that answered my question. I now have what I need, although the spam I saw did not have the triangle in the upper right corner to report it.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

My god...that "clear explanation by Computerworks a few minutes ago" was written in 2006!!!!!! I just commented on the sticky to bring it back up! Computerworks last visited this site a year ago. I also explained on that thread before your reply what a thread with no content means.

Enough! You clearly do not pay much attention when you see something...your searching abilities are in doubt when you fail to see a sticky on the main forum when you first joined. READ!!!!

My patience has expired and you have taken up enough of my time. DO NOT RESPOND.

Last edited by Jamo; 07-17-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Closed Thread