14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     
Default Sunbeam Tiger

I was walking out of my church last night when I saw in the parking lot an amazing site...Sunbeam Tiger, V8. Just beautiful. I did not know much about them, so I looked it up. Certainly, most of you know that it has a Shelby heritage...no wonders I liked it.

Mike
Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Mike,

They were great cars and I always wanted one. The first one I ever saw was here and it had the same 289 that Shelby used in the Cobras in it. There used to be two of them here but I haven't seen them in years. Probably worth to much to drive now. But boy, did they run.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A subject we all agree on!! Cool!

I was pricing them when I bought my Vette - it was one of the cars that made the short list. They were running in the 20-30K range. A Yenko Stinger can run a little more than that - go figure... The prototype Tiger had a 260, but I think the rest had the 289s. I think that they really have not yet been discovered by the 'more money than brains' people.

I've seen 2 or 3 myself - and got pics of one here: http://public.fotki.com/VRM/misc_racing/sunbeam/

Did you get some pics Mike? I've only seen white ones (the prototype was white also - I would love to see one in green.

Steve
Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The one I saw was a burnt orange color. No pics, but I will see at it church again.

mike
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I had an old beat up Alpine that a guy GAVE me.
________
Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've never been a huge fan of orange, but I could see that looking good on a Tiger. Especially if it had Minilites.

Your CC photo gallery could use some beefing up (so could mine) - maybe a Tiger photo session and some uploads???

Steve
Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd
I had an old beat up Alpine that a guy GAVE me.

wanna sell it?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

The Tiger has always been a very cool, understated car.

Not many know that two prototypes were commissioned to be built...
...one by Shelby and the other, independantly, by Ken Miles.

It was killed off in 1967 when Chrysler bought a majority stake in Rootes, and wasn't too keen on a Ford-powered car in the stable.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

I am not sure if one of the ones that was here came from the factory in the Green color it was or not, but it was a great car. I talked to the kid that had it, I was young then, and he showed me the motor. Had a 289 Cobra motor in it that came from the factory or dealer that way and he had some Shelby papers he showed me. I don't know if Shelby put the motor in, but it was a 306 horse power 289 with all the Cobra stuff on it. The other one was white and I am not sure what kind of motoe he had as I never got a chance to talk to him. I do know that I tried for years to buy that car and an original 289 cobra that a kid here had and neither would sell. The Cobra was wrecked out behind the dam as the idiot drove it off up one of the old dirt fire roads and spun off into a canyon. They got it out in pieces and a friend of mine had it in his garage for a while and we tried to buy the pieces to restore it and he took it with himwhen he moved. Oh, for the ones that got away.

Ron

Old 08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
It was killed off in 1967 when Chrysler bought a majority stake in Rootes, and wasn't too keen on a Ford-powered car in the stable.
Hmmm.....
A Tiger with a Hemi...

Steve

Last edited by VRM; 08-04-2006 at 10:35 AM..
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tigers are fun.

bomelia, the Sunbeam Tiger is a bit of an unknown fun little car, but they do have a strong following and support system. They were built between 1964-1967. The vast majority of them (MK1 and MK1a's) came factory equipped with the Ford "Fairlane 260" and the last few (535 of them I think) had the 289 installed and were MKII's, all of them were 2bbl carbs. They are very fun to own and drive. The engine compartment is so tight that cooling issues plague the little beast. The 289 cast aluminum COBRA valve covers you know have small fins on the top. The same casting used for the Tiger has the rear portion of fins removed to fit under the firewall just to give you an idea, so being thin and bendy helps with maintenance. The wheelbase is 87", the rear track is 42" wide and the car weighs about 2500 lbs. The drivetrain is VERY durable with the Ford V8 coupled to a Top Loader 4spd tranny and then turning a Salisbury (british DANA) 4HA diff with 2.88:1 gears. The Tigers came in many different colors, white, black, med dk blue, red, green, brown, tan/beige, and a few others. The original wheels were 13" dia and wore 26" tall by 4.5" wide tires...or close to that, with UGLY hubcaps that REALLY deterred from any sporting look one hoped to achieve. Mini-Lites and Panasports come in 13", 14", 15", and 16" for this car and improve the look quite a lot while allowing for more performance oriented tires to be fitted. My Tiger, a 1966 Mk1a, sporting a slightly worked 289 HI-PO and 15" Mini-Lites has been super fun to drive. The ricers chase me down wondering what it is. Others think it is a Triumph or MG, and all wonder what I have done to it when they catch me at a stop light and they hear the cam lope at idle (pretty choppy and I like it that way) The car does have its issues though, like all of them. Like I said, cooling (at least when the motor is modded) is something that must be perfected. The ackerman angle makes the steering a bit odd. The short, narrow, wheelbase coupled to the narrow tires (I'm running 195/50/15's) makes for careful application of the throttle at all times...lest one be passed by ones own rear end in a snappy manner. The aerodynamics are poor and start showing their colors around 125-130mph and are basically tapping you on the shoulder at 150mph. And the car is very small overall so others on the road often just do not see you. But, in the end, whether I am putting around town or cruising the hwy I always seem to finish my trip satisfied and happy. I tried for 13 years to get an original owners, original Tiger from him (family friend) but that will never happen. Then one sorta fell in my lap. It is a LOT rougher than I had wanted, but I now have a Tiger and so far I love it. They are NOT the most comfortable cars to drive. So, much like the Cobra roadster, you really gotta want one.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bomelia,

It's been gone for about 35 years. I had it in High School.
________
Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How about a Bug Eyed Sprite with a Hemi

http://www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys...ian/Marian.htm

________
Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

Here ya go start biding.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-04-2006, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I saw that one.

Mike (they look really cool in person!)
Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

they are a really neat little car. More MGish to me than Cobraish.
At a car show I was at, a couple of guys were telling me some differences between them- can't remember right off, but it seems they said something about one Tiger is more 'authentic' than the other?? Can't quite remember what was said. Great looking car.

This was at TMS, 10/04, with the SCAT (Shelby Cobra Assoc. of Texas's Fall Meet)
Old 08-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Nice picture Kristen. I wish they had more of those around here. They have an English Car Club somewhere in Northern Calif. that I see at some of the car shows, but mostly they have MGs and Jaguars with just a few of the Sunbeams.

Ron

Old 08-05-2006, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM
A subject we all agree on!! Cool!

I was pricing them when I bought my Vette - it was one of the cars that made the short list. They were running in the 20-30K range. A Yenko Stinger can run a little more than that - go figure... The prototype Tiger had a 260, but I think the rest had the 289s. I think that they really have not yet been discovered by the 'more money than brains' people.

Steve
Steve,

It seems like not so many years ago I read a post that said they were in the 15-20K range. The point was then that they were a lower cost buy than any Cobra replica.

Still does seem cheap for a bit of real history although the same post said that many are "re-created".
Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     

The main reason I own my SPF is that I don't fit comfortably in a Tiger.
Yes, all the Mark I and IA's came with 260's and the Mark II's came with 289's. There was a long list of LAT options to order but the more popular were the Cobra style valve covers, 4bbl carb with F4B intake, and the LAT 70 wheels. Solid cars are starting to push the mid to high 30's now.
The overheating problems are known and easily corrected. My friend's car which has a VERY stout 289 can idle in stop and go traffic in 100 degree heat all day long.
Three good Sunbeam web sites.
Our local club
http://www.stoa-tigerclub.com/
My friend's side business with cool Tiger stuff.
http://www.tigerengineering.net/
Sunbeam parts galore.
http://www.rootes.com/
Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Ron61 the British Car Club is in Chico. We have a show in the park in April. Only a couple of Tigers though. One intresting note though. There is a Gt-40 that shows up. A 66 I believe.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........