14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     
Default Global Warming

Got to thinking about it today. What do you think will happen to the sealevel if the the Arctic Polar ice cap melts?

Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The sea level would probably rise. How much depends on how much water is actually in the ice cap(s).

I doubt that Florida would disappear, but would probably lose some square miles of land.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well if we pump it all into death valley we could add another ocean and save the world.

See, problem solved. LOL

I think we better get life jackets.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Google 12/21/2012 or look up "singularity", decline in bee populations. that should be enough for you to chew on, without thinking about global warming. Interesting stuff.

http://badlydrawnboysite.blogspot.co...12012-end.html
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

The arctic ice cap is for the most part sitting on seawater therefore it is floating.

Put a ice cube in a tumbler half full of water and mark the side of the glass, wait for the ice cube to melt and then check the mark. No change....

For some reason when discussing global warming critical thinking skills are abandoned.

Scott S
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Scott-stop wit da logic-would ya?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S
The arctic ice cap is for the most part sitting on seawater therefore it is floating.

Put a ice cube in a tumbler half full of water and mark the side of the glass, wait for the ice cube to melt and then check the mark. No change....

For some reason when discussing global warming critical thinking skills are abandoned.

Scott S
Wrong Scott - the water level in the glass would rise by the volume of ice above the water level minus up to 20%, divided by the surface area of that water level.
The % is because of the differences in densities of water and ice. Ice density will vary with temp.

Just because you don't have the precision to measure something does not mean that it is not happening.

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

The major cause of all this "global warming" is from the increase in hot air
from all our glorious politicians.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM
Just because you don't have the precision to measure something does not mean that it is not happening.

Steve

Go add some ice to your Kool-Aid and check it out...

Scott S
Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

The arctic ice is on top of water but the anarctic ice is on top of a land mass and it is several miles thick. I think that I saw an estimate that sea levels would rise by 8 feet if all of the ice at the 2 poles were to melt. That would put many costal areas under water.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2007, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1056, small block Ford
Not Ranked     

Hardly 8 feet.

When ice on land slides into the ocean, it displaces ocean water and causes sea level to rise. People believe that when this floating ice melts, water level doesn’t rise an additional amount because the freshwater ice displaces the same volume of water as it would contribute once it melts. Similarly, people also think that when ocean water freezes to form sea ice and then melts, the water is merely going through a change of state, so it won’t affect sea level. However, in a visit to NSIDC in May, Dr. Peter Noerdlinger, a professor at St. Mary’s University in Nova Scotia, Canada, suggested otherwise.
In a paper titled "The Melting of Floating Ice will Raise the Ocean Level" submitted to Geophysical Journal International, Noerdlinger demonstrates that melt water from sea ice and floating ice shelves could add 2.6% more water to the ocean than the water displaced by the ice, or the equivalent of approximately 4 centimeters (1.57 inches) of sea-level rise.

The common misconception that floating ice won’t increase sea level when it melts occurs because the difference in density between fresh water and salt water is not taken into consideration. Archimedes’ Principle states that an object immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. However, Noerdlinger notes that because freshwater is not as dense as saltwater, freshwater actually has greater volume than an equivalent weight of saltwater. Thus, when freshwater ice melts in the ocean, it contributes a greater volume of melt water than it originally displaced.

Luckily it's not near enough to drive all of the uber liberal rats from the coasts to the livable habitats here in the interior.

Rats how do you cite things properly?????
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

Actually,
it will lower.

Go melt it, you'll see.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Can't say as how I've ever seen extra full glasses of Iced Tea overflow at a picnic.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Roughly 11.11% of an ice cube will be above the water level. This part of the ice is not displacing any of the water it is floating in.

This means that if you have a 100 litre ice cube (ok, really big drink!), then 11.11 litres of that ice cube will be floating above the level of the water.

Ice generally has a volume 9% greater than that of water, so roughly 1 litre of volume will be lost when the ice above the water level melts. Also roughly 8 litres of volume will be lost whn the ice below the water level melts. This leaves you with 2.11 litres of water to raise the level of your glass.

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra
Can't say as how I've ever seen extra full glasses of Iced Tea overflow at a picnic.

If you have a bunch of ice cube in a glass, then some will most likely be fully submerged. The loss of that 9% of volume will most likely reduce the water level in the glass more than the tops of one or two cubes above the water level of the drink will increase it.

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Noerdlinger demonstrates that melt water from sea ice and floating ice shelves could add 2.6% more water to the ocean than the water displaced by the ice, or the equivalent of approximately 4 centimeters (1.57 inches) of sea-level rise.
That would be an easy fix, lets go pump all of the oil from under the arctic ice and hope the sea floor collapses enough to make room for the minuscule amount of extra water that may come along.

Scott S
Old 05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Seeing as how it is global warming that is suppose to cause all this melting,won't the extra heat also cause more evaporation ? Maybe 2.11% worth ?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

as salinity decreases, evaporation increases.

but everything is relative is the ocean going up? OR could the land going down?

Land Subsidence from ground water pumping.

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-print...ory/43270.html

considering population increases, who cares about 8 feet when areas have already lost 30 feet.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, back to Mikes question... (welcome back, BTW - you seem to have been missing for a while)

If the Arctic melted the sea level would rise a negligible ammount.

Based on some reading if the ice on Greenland and Antarctica were to all melt it would raise sea level by about 200 feet.

Greenland and the West Antarctic ice sheet each contain enough ice to raise the sea level by about 15-20 feet.

The numbers are not mine, but I have not yet found anything to refute them.

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra
Seeing as how it is global warming that is suppose to cause all this melting,won't the extra heat also cause more evaporation ? Maybe 2.11% worth ?
You probably don't have this problem, but I would really rather not have my summers any more humid than they already are.

Steve