Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Collectables...??

What is the most cherished collectable and/or special memory you have in connection with your car and/or history of your car?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

This is a good thread.
I just went thru all 594 photos in my gallery. Quickly glancing thru the memories, from the start to just a couple of weeks ago, and loved reminiscing and smiling about so many of my Cobra experiences.
I have 3 special things or memories that really stand out.
I'd post the pics, because of course as scrapbook queen i have recorded and posted them here, but well I'll just write them out really quickly.

I had had my Cobra for only two days, and I went to the 75th reunion of my high school, and I took the Cobra and one kid. Carroll Shelby happened to graduate from my h.s., and he was there- and was so friendly and relaxed. He signed my yellow (now i know Mustang Cobra) ballcap, and took a photo with my son, and with me. He smiled and chatted in a classroom, with only a handful of folks. It was really special. Later on I scrapbooked the event, and when I saw him again at the October unveiling of the Eleanor in Dallas, I stood in line and paid a whopping $25 to have him sign my scrapbook. He seemed genuinely happy to see my book- with pics from the high school reunion in it- not just another glovebox or visor to sign. He enjoyed looking at the pics for just a moment or two.

The second event that has meant a lot to me was my hilarious and looney episode in 'Dick Smith's pants'. I'm sure most folks here have read or heard about it, and it stays within my heart.
Both events are recorded forever in my book, and etched in my heart. No matter what folks think of CS or DS, both of my relationships were very kind and positive.

Which brings me to my third thought. I never DREAMED when i bought this car that there was a forum, a 'club' of sorts with which to get involved. I just wanted to have fun driving a spunky cool car! And now look where I am....
Hundred's of friendships and tons of unbelievable experiences, all with people who have become very important in my life. So, I guess that's the third thing. The people. It's all about the people, isn't it??

There are about a dozen pics in my gallery that sum it all up. I won't bore you with posting them here!

As far as collectible, I'd say my scrapbooks. Then my Marsh Model of CSX 2128. (1/43)
Bob (snakeeyes) coming up with my 'handle' at the Texas Spring Meet. Running out of gas. And laughing about it later! My first time on a track- wow! I NEVER ever thought I'd be on a real racetrack! Selling my car back to Gary for '$1'... long story.... Stuck between Doug and Freddie yummy!!!
The look on Jay's face after my first circuit at run n gun. wow! flying up to London for the show. Being stuck in the hotel in Chicago 'cuz I missed my connection to Dallas, and using the hotel keyboard with the keys that were stuck and being so frustrated and posting in the middle of the night that was sooo out of character that even Jamo jumped in and made a comment! That one night in Chicago cost more than the entire weekend in Columbus!!
My partner in crime, Colleen and me acting like school girls in Austin. bad bad girls.... Zipping out to Augusta and staying with Steve and Karen- wow what a great experience! my buddy trularin coming all the way from Michigan, just to 'see me' (well sorta), oh the friends I've made!!!
how much time ya got??
I've got a lot of stories, have had a lot of fun, and of course the journey continues.

Kristen
Old 07-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you guys not have any special memories or trinkets to share???

c'mon.... show us your soft side!!!

(ttt)
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

Right now I'm trying to get my new (to me) transmission in my Cobra.
I'm sure when I get it back on the road I'll generate some cherished
memories. Until then, I'm working on it!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flip,

You are worse than me if getting the new transmission in your car is going to be a cherished memory. Aren't you replacing the old one with basically the same thing? I am sure it isn't as easy as it could be, but in my Cobra I could have my transmission out and on the bench is 20 minutes. I know because the 2nd time I timed it from the minute I took the shift handle off. And it was a Tremec WC Transmission. Now this one in the Coupe would be a different story. Especially in this 115 degree heat.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ah Ron just turn on the AIR, it'll be down to 112 before you know it.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick,

I am in the process of trying to figure out how to get a Y into the two hoses that go to my dash mounted vents. The air conditioner needs 4 - 2" vents and I just have 2. I may see if there is room to just take the hose off the back and put in a Y and then another short hose to the vent and let the Y blow down toward my feet. I am getting to old and fat to do much under dash work any more.

Ron

Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,

Working under dashes is fun isn't it? After 5 back surguries I don't look
forward to it but can if need be. You are way better than I am with
transmissions. I got mine back in today - about 4 hours. I have the car
on jackstands so not enough clearance for a motorcycle jack but once I
built a small wood cradle to fit on a floor jack I was able to get it in ok.
If there is a next time I'm sure I can do it a bit faster. Last time I did
one (changed the clutch and pressure plate) was back in the 60's on
a girl friends '59 Chev (6 cylinder). Gee, the time do fly!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flip, I forgot to mention I have a trans jack you could have borrowed that may or may not have worked as well as what you put together. Remind me to let the other Cobra Clan locals know they can use my trans jack whenever.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flip,

What really helped me a lot was I have a set of the Kwik Lift Ramps and I can sit up under that part of the car. Also the transmission was not to heavy. But I am afraid that my days of crawling under dashes and tight places are very limited as I can't hardly see any more even with my glasses and the cramped places where I have to twist and wiggle really are hard for me to do any more. And especially after I have spent 5 minutes getting to where I can do whatever it was I was going to and have left the tools just about 3 inches out of reach.

Ron

Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie,

I should have thought of you. The cradle I made worked very well once
I made it. I have one of those ATV/motorcycle lifts but I would need to
have the car about 6 inches higher for it to work. It has a bottle jack to
lift the platform so when you raise the platform the frame at the jack
goes higher and was hitting the tunnel. Anyway, I solved that puzzle.

Ron,

I know what you mean about trying to see - hard to get a light that isn't in
the way, harder yet to get your hands in some of those tight spaces.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

umm.. excuse me...but ya'll hijacked this thread... ..the penalty will be telling about your cherished collectable....
Old 07-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry about that - I will have some memories once I get it back on the road.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Flip. now you want to tell us you don't have any memories- 'once I get it back on the road"????
What about the memories that have already happened!!!??????

you gonna tell us you haven't made any???

I have one in particular, but it's x rated and surely can't be shared here, even in the lounge.... maybe if I ever joined gasholes, which i'm not.... oh well leave it to ya'll's imagination...

memories.... in fact, i have several lovely memories, but not sharing here!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

This one is old, but it means a lot to me..

I believe it was 1976, I was in college and I had a '68 GT-350 that was my first car and my daily driver. I talked my High School buddy and college room mate into buying a 68 GT500KR that had no engine, was kinda butchered and had a small block chevy in it and was set up as a drag car and needed body work and paint. We bought it without the drivetrain for $600 and towed it to his parents house. They thought we were crazy but spent the spring assembling parts and "restoring" it the best we could. We bought a nice 406 FE for $350, wide ratio top loader for $100, 9" pumpkin for $30, a set of magnesium wheels from a Pantera for $200.

We got the car assembled and ready for paint and had a fairly original Lime Green paint job put on it. The car came out really nice.

We then decided it would be a good idea to drive to the Shelby club time trial at Black Hawk Farms in Wisconsin. No problem, it's only about a 18 hour drive. So we grabbed one other friend and the 3 of us set off in the 2 Shelbys headed west, leaving at around 9PM after work. We got to the PA/OH border and realized we didn't really know where we were going, so we bought an Atlas. We did have a hotel reservation in Beloit, but had no idea where that was. The exhuberance of youth...

We managed to find the place but the KR's fuel pump died as soon as we got there. We were dead tired having driven through the night but bought a replacement at the local auto parts store in fixed it in the parking lot.

We were there at the Solo event on time ready to go. I won my class and my friend finished second in his. (If you have the old Shelby Owners Association newsletters, you can look it up and I have old photo's taken by Su Kemper somewhere). I got a little 6" trophy and we managed to find a bar that night to celebrate. Each of us struck up conversations with some girls and each of us used the trophy as proof of how great a driver we were and I'm sure we totally impressed them.

Next day, 18 hours home. We got stopped once in PA and were issued a warning for speeding, still having the shoe polish numbers on the cars.

My friend and I eventually sold our Shelbys- he bought a beautiful 69 Boss 302 and I bought a 67 GT-350. He later lost a 10 year battle with Cancer and it will be 20 years ago this month since he's passed away. From time to time I think of that awesome trip, and how nothing is as irreplaceable as memories.

Bob
Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well it is the people, Flip and I met at a car show some years ago, been friends ever since. At the most recent 'cruise in' Flips better half, Jan, wasn't showing off the car as much as the pics of there new Grandchild!

Back then, it was tricky to register a replica, the law was not clear. "We" had various ways of getting the job done however. To own/drive a Cobra in those days you really really had to want one. When we would talk about going on a cruise together there was concern that to many Cobras driving together might attract to much attention (ya think?). We met at each others house instead and talked of Cobra's and Shelby and history, often late into the night. At times the ladies wisely withdrew to the kitchen while the 'history' debates and the nature of replicas vs originals was hotly disputed amongst the Alpha Males.

Eventually we got a law passed allowing for 100% legal registration and it was like a breath of fresh air! Suddenly we COULD cruise as a group, heck I felt like a kid again! Ahhh, those were the days, rebels we were, great memories of good friends with a common cause. We just wanted to drive our car!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

These are terrific stories ~