14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     
Default Music & War

Today I traded my Jeep for a Toyota (2x towing). I could not immediately transfer the XM (talk radio) so listened to the local station which was doing a 60s show. It struck me that today, no anti-war or pro-war song could make the "top 40" as both did in the 60s. And, my thought was that neither "sells." Today's youth are sheltered from the war for the most part. An anti- or pro-war song today has no chance of making the top 40, only a chance on country radio or alternative rock. Those stations have their followers, but fewer of them.
I doubt there is anyone over 50 (even under 50) who never heard "we got to get out of this place" (Rolling Stones) as it was used in the context of Vietnam...can't think of anything comparable in Iraq.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

A Toyota! Couldn't resist.

You are right about the music.

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

Yeah, have always bought Fords, mostly 4X4s (rangers and F150s), but the Toyota is one tough truck, while I'm still waiting for Ford to pay me for the last factory defect (EFI module) that left me several times by the side of the road.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First trip to the dealer to get the XM radio out of the car wound up with those red/blue flashing lights in the rear view (took the Cobra). Turned out he only wanted to see the car, but afterwards it would not start. The lead wire to the solonoid was too hot to touch. After letting everything cool (and turning off the "key" between the battery & solonoid) it did start, no problem....anybody else ever have that problem????
Old 07-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Could very well be that the younger generation is a bit more conservative and not so willing to accept the bull**** from the media. Whenever I see anti-war pickets on street corners here in Fresno, it is a bunch of old phuking hippies.

Having taught college for the past decade, I see folks ready to get off their asses and go to work. They don't ***** and whine. They aren't impressed with bull****.

We have a volunteer military...and the younger generation signs up knowing full well where they might be going.

I also enjoy much of the music from the younger generation, some of which is a bit critical of our generation. Listen to some Linkin Park and you'll realize they are more mature than we were (at least compared to the stuff I heard at the CSN&Y concert I attended a few months ago).

Thank god for these kids.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

Where is Country Joe when we need him?

There has been some great pro USA/Troops music from the country bunch but the rappers are still lookin for Ho's.

I saw Country Joe once while I was stationed Germany in "77" during the weird time (Carter years).

1-2-3-4
We don't want your ****in war
A-B-C-D
Get someone else, hey, don't get me
Left, Right, Left, Right
You know the whole damn thing puts me uptight

I done my duty and I fought my fight
And I thought I knew I was goin right
But thats all over, I'm free at last
An' if they want anymore, they can kiss my ass

Scott S
Old 07-22-2007, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd almost agree with Jamo, but just seems to me that even if the younger generation were more conservative, the war would show up in their music...certainly did in the 60s. It looks like the absense of the topic in music, one way or the other (pro or con) really means something else...particularly when you consider some people are on their 5th tours because there's no one to releave them.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

...and knowing that, they still sign up in a volunteer military.

The younger generation has a sense of duty. They saw something we never did...our own country attacked.

I don't know what you're looking at in terms of anti or pro war music that you/we would normally enjoy at our average age around here. Having had three daughters (18, 21 and 26), I've listened to alot of their music (varying tastes between them) and there are some songs of protest, but it is spread out among many large issues. Certainly the war, but also global warming, anti-bias everything, the war in the hoods, poverty, Aids, etc. Country Western is bigger today than in our younger years and has more crossovers into popular radio music, at least to younger people...and there have been a good number of patriotic songs, notwithstanding the Chicks and a few others. Much of it is centered where it ought to be...in support of those who serve...rather than the politics of the thing. Listen to Trace Adkins' Arlington sometime.

Interesting topic, btw.

Last edited by Jamo; 07-22-2007 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jamo, just struck me....the difference between 60s music (much of which was about the war) and today's (little of which is). I'll look up Arlington...sure spent a lot of time in that place (everyone should....forget the other Monuments.... except the Wall).
Old 07-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yup...spent the better part of a day there last year before going to anywhere else.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Think most of us feel that way Jamo..buried some friends (some recently, some years ago) there. Guess this started.... watching a show about WWII music (they could dance by comparison...just my opinion) and thought that we have no popular music to compare with it today.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1056, small block Ford
Not Ranked     

Tampa,

Arlington is indeed a place to be visited often. I've been there twice again in the last couple of years. First for Colonel Hackworth's funeral and secondly for my wife's Uncle Raymond, a DSC winner when he was 17 years old. I like to go to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier also and watch the dedication of the guards as they walk their post. Haven't made it to the Wall yet and doubt that I ever will but Arlington will always be on my list when I go to DC.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reason you find less protest music is because "the man" has taken over the music business. Witness the slamming/silencing/trashing of the Dixie Chicks by the Corporate radio stations and ditto Corporate media types.

Protest Music Video
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

As usual, you're full of sh!t, but this is the Lounge.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have to disagree Sizzler, the "man" can never take over the music business. My opinion, the "war" is not in the music, simply because the "war" is not part of the culture of those buying the music. But, should it become part of the culture....pro 0r con......you would notice that the 60s are the same as the 20s.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1056, small block Ford
Not Ranked     

To some people there's always a great conspiracy on something and it's generally headed up by "the man"

Last I heard it was the Chicks former fans that dumped on their parade.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Hmmm. See my "oorah" post. Nothin original there...just some plain unvarnished truth.

If someone tells you the truth and you do not believe it...

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, there is quite a bit in music about the war. So there are the predictable ones like Neil Young, Springsteen, and the Stones who came out with songs recently.

Some others have had hits with songs about war like John Mayer, Eminem, James Blunt (who was a British officer before he wrote his anti-war song), Pearl Jam, and Green Day. Green Day wrote songs like 'American Idiot' about our preznit and his policies. They also wrote 'wake me when September ends', and it is one of the most requested videos on one of theose video channels.

Also, one of my wifes best friends is married to a reasonably well-known hip-hop artist. I'm not a fan of the music, but the lyrics indicate a lot of anger at the current situation regarding the war and our response to 9/11. There are also other lyrics regarding trying to live in the middle of street violence and drugs, dealing with teen pregnancy, and what rights gays should have.
And yes, I've been to hip-hop concerts.

Sizzler - Music, just like media, will sell what is popular. 'The Man' is the public who will buy what is being sold.

Steve
Old 07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

No draft - so, no protest songs - only pro-military songs - as it should be.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

As usual, you're full of sh!t, but this is the Lounge
Sometimes a nail just gets hit square on the head!