LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     
Default Portable GPS car units Any Suggestions

Hi,

Not that they have come down in price, I am going to bite the bullet and buy one.

They seem pretty straight forward so I am guessing if the screen size is decent and if it has voice prompts it will probably fit my needs.

Any first-hand tips.

Once I get a GPS unit it will probably turn me into a geographic idiot--- very similar to my reliance on spell check.

Are we moving forward or back with technology?

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a Garmin NUVI 350 and am extremely pleased with it.
Planning on getting a second one for my son.
Refurnished ones are now $399.00 CDN at Radioworld, Toronto. with full Garmin warrenty.
Cheaper then anywhere I could find in the States.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Check Fry Electronics and Best Buy online. I can't remember which Garmin I got, but it was new and it was $299. Works great. It even has restaurants in it. The mount is the charger, but you can remove the unit if you want to take it with you or put in in the console or glovebox.

Steve
Old 07-29-2007, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Garmin makes some great products. Picking one depends on how many bells and whistles you want.
Things to consider:
Do you want all maps preloaded or download areas from your PC?
Do you want one capable of traffic information which requires fees?
Do you need one that’s water proof? (Used on motorcycles)
Do you want to hear “turn right in 200 ft” or “turn right on Elm street in 200 ft” (Actually speaks the street name)
Here is the Garmin web site to review all models. You can also find all their dealers listed.
Don’t go by the listed “Suggested Retail Price”. They can be found for less from authorized dealers.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/ontheroad/
The Nuvi 250 is a nice compact unit that has a decent size screen.

http://www.tvnav.com has a toll free number and are well versed in all the Garmin products. 877-625-3546
Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great Info!!! Especially the tip about the voice prompts.

Much appreciated!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

My wife uses a garmin. At first it had a girls voice. She named her "B!tch" She then changed it to a guys voice. His name is Dick
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

bought the Garmin Nuvi 680. work great in the daily driver. In the cobra, you can't here directions no matter what. weather, traffic, gas stations w/recent prices, more info than you can think of...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got the MIO C310 for $300. It also has a loud clear voice. Works great and am having a ball with it. NOT required in Hawaii, strictly a toy here, was great to have on my recent mainland trip to Ohio though! I mostly use it for checking the speedometer/odometer on my various bikes and cars (the ERA is amazingly accurate).

I would rather have a Garmin and spend a little more if needed. The "maps" are EVERYTHING when it comes to being useful 'where ever'. Comparing it to some Garmins I've seen, there better!

One of the interesting things I found when first using it is to "Trust It". Many times I'd look and think, "That CAN'T be right"! Sometimes that may be true, but rarely. Trust it, use the Force Luke. My friend named the voice on his 'Ronda' (help me Ronda), she won't let you down!

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-30-2007 at 10:10 AM..
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Mine isn't color, nor does it talk, but the 330 is graphic and I can hunt with it and use it to get me down the right freeway in one package.

Great addition to my car.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm thinking of buying this $70 laptop GPS adapter from my local Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=643715 .

The main advantage to these adapters is the large easy-to-read-at-a-glance laptop screens. The main downside is the large overall size compared to small dashboard mounted units. The laptop normally has to be on the adjacent seat, the floor, or the "navigators" lap. It has a USB antenna module, that is about the size of a small cellphone with a slim cord attached, that needs to be on the dash or rear window with clear sky access. The computer GPS would be easy to update but it hasn't really needed it.

My wife has a similar Garmin adapter (about $110 a couple years ago) and it works fine, even with the computer cover closed on voice only. With a destination selected, the voice-only mode periodically repeats the distance to the next turn until the last 50 feet or so. If the expected turn is not made, the computer immediately re-calculates and re-directs you to the next available re-route and turn (or the next etc). It would be pretty hard to get lost with one of these, even in event of surprise road construction or sheer brainfart. It seems to be accurate to within 10 or 20 feet and be equal to (or more elaborate than) more expensive units.

Many hotels, fuel stops and restaurants are pre-entered by name for quick destination selection. Otherwise virtually any street address can be entered and the computer takes over using GPS to direct you, tracking (you, the arrow) on a zoom in/out detailed map screen ...and/or voice. When my wife purchased it, all but 2 month old streets in Bismarck, ND were already entered, named and plotted on screen map, so I would assume it would be very accurate nearly anywhere.

I have to say the large screen, excellent software and reasonable price tend to spoil a person.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Wes,

Can you drive around with a huge laptop on your dash?

I mean, wouldn't you have a hard time seeing? And what if you get email? Do you stop and answer it?

Do you talk on your cell while driving?

Just wondering, that seems huge for a GPS.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I just got a Magellan Maestro 4040 for my "speed limit" birthday from my sisters. Have to set it up so I do not have any comments yet. Too busy taking Cobra rides and naps!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren- Are your sisters trying to imply you have a history of getting lost?

I Love naps!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

[quote=jams]Warren- Are your sisters trying to imply you have a history of getting lost?QUOTE]

Only in my dreams when taking a nap!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin
Wes,

Can you drive around with a huge laptop on your dash?

I mean, wouldn't you have a hard time seeing? And what if you get email? Do you stop and answer it?

Do you talk on your cell while driving?

Just wondering, that seems huge for a GPS.

"Laptop on your dash?"
Funny you should ask, Tru. Linda was just looking at smaller "swivel-top" laptops to replace her old HP. Her reasoning was that it would take up less room in the car with the top closed, screen face up. I imagine it would even fit on the dash tray of my pick-up or old work car... but not in her car. I have mixed feeling$. While I would inherit her old laptop, I heard that the hinge on these new swivel-tops is very fragile. Still, the large screen, though huge, is handy to quickly read if placed on the distant adjacent seat and, like many people, we already own laptops. And cheap.
Did I mention cheap?
Considering the $70 cost of in-car DVD players (7" screen) and these $70 adapters, the GPS on-dash units should all be priced at little over $100.

"Do you talk on your cell while driving?"
I don't presently keep my cell on much. I still have one of the beloved-but-clutzy ancient Motorola full size analog flip-phones. They eat the battery pretty quick. One advantage here is that they work better in the boonies, being less likely to drop calls than many early digital units. I can use them nearly anywhere in the thick steel cab of a locomotive, with the huge generators interfering right behind me, and still not drop calls. Our ND cell towers are pretty sparse yet.

The newer digital work much better, at least the Motorola brand. After several years of allowing "No Thanks", Verizon tells me I will be finally forced to update to digital in January.
I doubt whether the deal will still be three free phones for $45/month total.

I'm patiently waiting for satellite email/net service to come down to $40/mo or less.
(I think it should be free. )
I do appeciate that GPS is subscriber-free... yet. If government GPS were just released to the insanely profit-driven public venue today, I bet it wouldn't be....

Do you sense a "cheapskate" trend with me here?

Last edited by Wes Tausend; 08-05-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems to me there is a fee associated with the GPS units when it comes to updating the maps when new maps become available (once a year or so)?

As to the voice I do prefer the Garmin, "Turn right on Elm St. in 200 yards" over my MIO which would say only, "Turn right in 200 yards". Another advantage of the Garmin is a better map updating service and more voice selections are possible. The MIO I have plays/stores your MP3 songs, does a Garmin do that?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Seems to me there is a fee associated with the GPS units when it comes to updating the maps when new maps become available (once a year or so)?
Garmin will have updates to their software that is downloaded from their site at no charge. Only major map sets will have charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
As to the voice I do prefer the Garmin, "Turn right on Elm St. in 200 yards" over my MIO which would say only, "Turn right in 200 yards". Another advantage of the Garmin is a better map updating service and more voice selections are possible. The MIO I have plays/stores your MP3 songs, does a Garmin do that?
It depends on which model Garmin whether it 'speaks' the street name or not.
Some Garmin models are filled with bells and whistles, if you want them.
Info on all models is on their web site.
Some are waterproof so you can also use them on a motorcycle. If you ride, they are great! You will find yourself taking roads that you never would because you thought you would get lost. With the GPS, when your ready to go home, just hit 'HOME' and it routes you there. Want to go somewhere and stay off major highways? It will do that. Best gadget I ever purchased. Now it is no longer a gadget, it became a necessity!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went with the Garmin C340. Go it new for about $80 less than the sale price at circuit city. Purchased it on e-bay.

So far I am happy with it. One of the main features I was looking for was turn left on Elm street in 100 feet rather than turn left 100 feet.

There are so many models out there and you can spend a bundle. I went with the model with the features I wanted and hunted down the best price. Taking it on vacation this week and it should take out some of the stress of traveling!

Can't wait.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams
I went with the Garmin C340. Go it new for about $80 less than the sale price at circuit city. Purchased it on e-bay.
Careful with ebay purchases as factory warrentees may not apply. Also may be remanufactured units.

C340 new is around $330. and a remanufactured one is about $275.

One of the biggest authorized Garmin dealers on the internet is www.tvnav.com
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tausend
After several years of allowing "No Thanks", Verizon tells me I will be finally forced to update to digital in January.

AT&T Cingular just forced me into a new digital cell phone. They turned off the old "system" on July 31, so the old phone does not work anymore. But at least they electronically copied my phone book to the new model. Whew!