Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Last Days Of Earth

I watched a two hour show yesterday on possible causes of the end of life on Earth. Very interesting and after all the possible causes it really came down to the most likely one was the human race.
Also according to them in 2029, Apothos, a large meteor will pass close enough to the Earth that it will be between Earth and our communication satellites. Then it will return in 7 years and they don't know what to expect. If the Earth's gravity affects it enough, it could crash into the Earth on it's return and that would effectively end life on the planet. All of this was ways that life here could come to an end, but all were very possible though some were also very unlikely to happen. I thought it was an interesting show as it wasn't Science Fiction, but laid out real things that could come to be.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I guess I'll really have to drive the Cobra a lot in the next 20 years or so. A big comet hitting my garage would be a bummer of a day.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

I thought I saw a similar show...they went through all the possibilities...many were VERY interesting, but not a dam thing you could do about it. But the last one was the kicker...global warming brought on by man's evil activities. Pissed me off. There was a great big picture of Al Gore like the communists use in rallies of their leaders. Ugh. Oh yeah! We may not stop a comet or a meteor, but we CAN do something about global warming. Sell you house, get rid of your car, and go worship at the mansion of Al Gore.

One solution for us though, is Canada. We can take that country, no problemo. With its northern climes, and and expanding acerage due to melting ice, we'd be pigs in a poke. Oh yeah, their military? No match. Once we disabled all of their horses, they'd be putty in our hands. Soon we will have palm trees growing in Toronto and real hockey teams playing in their (a'hem, our) arenas.

Mike
Old 11-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Shoot there is a variety of reasons why it could end any day. So get out there and live life while you can! Look at the bright side, it isn't a global killer. But if it does hit, be somewhere else

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

If 2029 is the end or 7 years later, what does it matter?

I mean you only have one shot at all this and you should be out doing something everyday to enrich your life.

SO, Kick some a$$ and enjoy those things you have.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Tru,

That show didn't say the Earth Was going to end, just gave a lot of ways that it could happen. The comet is supposed to fly by in 2029, but they have known that for a year or so. I wonder what effect it might have on tides and such as it will be very close on the cosmic scale. I hid in a very deep cave when the one that did away with the dinosaurs hit.

By the way, they have some cheap fuel oil for sale in the San Francisco Bay now. All you have to do is get it out of the water and haul it away. Might make some good heating oil for Warren.

Ron

Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I'm gonna take out a BIG loan in 2029 to buy a Kirkham and not worry about repayment!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Ron, you are going to have to hang on CC until then to give us a report on the tides and the weather there when this heavenly body cruses by.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do watch all those shows though. A great one a couple of months ago was about supervolcanos. Discovery, Learning Channel, National Geographic, etc... just can't get enough of them.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Rdorman,

Those are the main shows that I watch. I have learned more from them than I did when I was in college. They had another one on about Yellowstone and what could happen if it erupts. I am a history buff and really enjoy watching the discovery and history channel shows. And they are finding new things every day it seems. I really enjoy the shows about the underground cities. Did you see the one about Hitler's underground Berlin?

Ron

Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

You know, comets coming close to earth are not always a bad thing. You might be able to hitchhike a ride onto the spaceship following them.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ufo/hg/index.htm

Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The one on Yellowstone was the one I was referring to. Look up the caldron that created it and you can see the path of the north american plate (or what ever it is called) in satelite imagery as it has erupted over the last millions of years and ended up where it is now. Actually, it didn't move, the crust did but you get the idea. Eat that stuff up.

Heaven's gate. There was a group of nuts! The must of thought the movie Lifeforce was a documentary

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Considering the amount of ash from Mt. St. Helens, it is hard to even imagine what they said Yellowstone would put in the air. Even if they could tell if and when it was going to erupt, just what could anyone do? I believe they said that one small town would have 8 feet of ash in a matter of minutes and it would cover most of several of the states in the area in a day or so and then spread across the whole country. Kind of like knowing the asteroid is coming. Can't do anything about it but hope it misses.

Ron

Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hear yah. St. Helen's is a firecracker compared to a nuke! The last eruption of the caldera was the Lava Creek Tuff 640,000 years ago and ejected 1,000 cubic kilometers. The little ones, such as 13,000 years ago left a 5k diameter crater near Mary Bay. And those happen every 20,000 years or so. The yellowstone caldera eruption 2.1 million years ago poured out an estimated 2,450 cubic kilometers of ash, both covered most of north america from the mississippi west. That makes it at least 8,000 (according to the NGS) times more powerful then St. Helen's in term of ash. Right now, there is a 3,600 cubic mile caldera under Yellowstone Over a 1,500 square mile 'crater top'. Volcanic debris from St. Helens covered and area about 30k in diameter, this bad boy could do one nearly 1,000 miles in diameter.

http://exodus2006.com/supervol.html some good maps

This of course would solve the debate about the fence on the mexican border... it would be us running across the border!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some fun 'facts' on the release of thermal energy:

St. Helens, 24 megatons
Apothos meteor, 850 megatons
Huckleberry Ridge explosion (the caldera now under yellowstone) 2,000,000 megatons.
The one that did in the dinosaurs 100,000,000

A 50m comet impact will dispatch a city with little problems, 200m, a continent, 1,000m, half the planet, 10,000m....... forget about it.

Then again, the price of putting gas in the Cobra is going to kill me first, that or migrating penguins. Haven't decided.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com

Last edited by rdorman; 11-12-2007 at 12:56 PM..
Old 11-12-2007, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

well if any of it happens I guess it won't matter if you're driving a "real one" or a replica!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman
I do watch all those shows though. A great one a couple of months ago was about supervolcanos. Discovery, Learning Channel, National Geographic, etc... just can't get enough of them.

Me too! My wife hates it. But I love the stuff. Especially Mt Everest, Survivor Man, and Man vs Wild. Yeah, I know Bear Grylls stays in hotels...

Last night I watched Bear Grylls in the Sahara series. OMG! He ATE a Camel Spider! His very words were "taste like a sac of exploding pus". Almost chucked on the couch. What these guys won't do for ratings!!

You EVER seen one of these nasty MFers? Google camel spider and get ready to not sleep for a week.

BTW, we NEED a vomit smilie!!

Mike
Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shoot! It is going to hit just when I start to get my SS benefits.

Figures. If the government doesn't screw me out of SS, a meteor will.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I drove the ERA to work today (does that suck or what, I got to work on Veterans day!). I figure that will cost me about $15 in gas. I normally drive the motorcycle, which cost about $3.00 in gas.

...but I get more smiles to the miles with the Cobra...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here Mike, Just for you.

Ron