14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     
Question Which Photo Site Do you use/like?

Now that there is a limit of 50 MB for pictures in my gallery, I would like to load new pictures to a photo site on the web and link them to posts on Club Cobra.

But there are tons of photo sites. Which site do you use and can you answer a couple of questions:

Does the site have a limit on the storage?
Can you set up sub-categories?
Do you like the site? Easy to use? etc

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

good question, Warren.
I think i'm getting ready to 'jump to digital' in my 'real life'.

I can't imagine putting the hundreds and hundreds of pics i take all on my computer. I would like to upload to a site, as well.

I get pics sent to me from Photobucket, Snapfish, hmmm there are others.

I'd like to know this info, too.

How does all that work??

Why are there photo gallery size limits here now???

I haven't tried to upload any in a few weeks; will i still be able to?? My gallery is awfully big, too.
Kristen
Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Coupe Devil Send a message via MSN to Coupe Devil
Not Ranked     

I use photobucket. They have updated the site recently. Makes uploading pictures trouble free.
90 Gt, Twisted Wedge Heads, Track Heat intake T.F.S. Stage 1 cam, 306, C&L76mm, 65MM TB, MSD wires, Z-Spec T5 , Cobra brakes, 99 GT wheels, 3.73's. Currently getting interior revamp. FUTURE DONOR CAR FOR COBRA KIT BUILD
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Playboy.

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still searching
Not Ranked     

I have had good luck with Photobucket. Easy to use. Not sure how much you can load, but I am not sure any of the photo sites are meant to be a backup for your PC. I have thousands of digital pics from various additions to the house and other projects (my lifted trucks), but only a hundred or so on Photobucket. Usually just the ones for posting on forums. For a backup, I burn DVDs and put in the safe deposit box.

I am sure I'll have several thousand more this time next year when the Cobra is close to complete.....
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've got mine backed up on duplicate hard drives which I connect via a USB port. Then I disconnect and stash the hard drives, one at work, the other at the house. I THINK that may be better long term than a CD or DVD for recovering the files years down the road?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
I've got mine backed up on duplicate hard drives which I connect via a USB port. Then I disconnect and stash the hard drives, one at work, the other at the house. I THINK that may be better long term than a CD or DVD for recovering the files years down the road?
You may be right, but I have had more hard drives fail than DVDs (none failed so far). Duplicate hard drives in mutlple locaitons is great though. We use the DVDs as well as back up lap top to desk top and desk top to lap top.

DVS are qutoed at 50-100 year life (but that is questionable), but failure usually is related to exposure (sunlight, etc) and number of plays. In my case, I have no sunlight, and no plays, so they "should" last a good long time. We also replace the DVDs every so often....

Mark
Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...not sure a hard drive will last 50 to 100 years without bearings or something similiar siezing up. BOTH methods also assume we will have an operating system (Windows 2100?) that will still read either device! Of course data CAN be retrieved from a hard drive even if the drive has been under water and often even in a fire. The data recovery is expensive however. Are the 'platers' that store the data on a hard drive more secure than a DVD locked away from sunlight, seldom or never played? Will anyone CARE 100 years from now? Hmmmmm....

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-20-2007 at 12:10 AM..
Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use Photo Bucket and then just use the IMG tags the same as from the CC Gallery to link a picture into the post if I want one in it. I will look after while and see what size limits they have. Of course I don't upload nearly as many pictures as Warren and when I do post a picture of a tree I take the whole tree, not each leaf.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
...not sure a hard drive will last 50 to 100 years without bearings or something similiar siezing up. BOTH methods also assume we will have an operating system (Windows 2100?) that will still read either device! Of course data CAN be retrieved from a hard drive even if the drive has been under water and often even in a fire. The data recovery is expensive however. Are the 'platers' that store the data on a hard drive more secure than a DVD locked away from sunlight, seldom or never played? Will anyone CARE 100 years from now? Hmmmmm....
I think the most important morale of this story is that you back up your data somehow and keep it off site (in case of fire), and continually update the way you back things up as technology improves, and makes various media obsolete. Not too long ago, I wa backed up on those 100 MB "zip" disks, and before that little 1.2 MB floppies Way before digi pics ate up multiple gigabytes.

Lets see, 3 DVDs now, about 14 GB, would be about 12,000 floppy disks!! Barely 1 digi pic per floppy......

Mark
Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark,

I think the most important morale of this story is that you back up your data somehow and keep it off site (in case of fire), and continually update the way you back things up as technology improves, and makes various media obsolete. Not too long ago, I was backed up on those 100 MB "zip" disks, and before that little 1.2 MB floppies Way before digi pics ate up multiple gigabytes.

Lets see, 3 DVDs now, about 14 GB, would be about 12,000 floppy disks!! Barely 1 digi pic per floppy......

You are sure on the nail with that. As the digital cameras get better the default pictures get larger and larger. Unless I am going to be printing large pictures I set mine at a lower setting then even the default and I just have a 7 Mega Pixel one. Same for the backup stuff. Now I have a DVD drive that writes to the dual DVDs and already that is obsolete. Just think if we still had to save all this stuff on tapes. It would take two days to get it all on them.

Ron

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Penthouse is good too.

Mike
Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,

The book or the web site?

Ron

Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I dunno...someone asked what was your favorite photo site...

Just trying to participate and stay out of trouble.

Mike
Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use fotki at www.fotki.com

I have almost 11000 photos totaling about 9.5 gig up there (mostly cars), and it is all organised into folders and albums. They have a free membership, but that has limits on storage and features. The paid membership was $25 and I bought a bunch of years worth. I also keep CD copies of all my photos, just in case.

Steve
Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Steve,

I just took a quick look at the link you provided and have a couple of questions. Does that site have any limit on the paid membership? I could join the free part and then look it all up but thought I would ask you as you are familiar with it already. I have used Photo bucket for years and like it. but they do have a limit even on the paid membership.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,
They say that there is no limit for paid members. I'm up to almost 11 thousand photos and they have never said anything to me about stopping. And most of my photos are high res, too.

I think that the prices may have increased, but they do run specials every so often.

Steve
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Thanks for the answer. I don't upload a lot of photos anywhere, but that could sure be a good place for Warren and some of the guys that are way above the limits here to look at. Most of my gallery here is empty as I put my photos on Photo bucket and just link them to the post via the IMG tags. And I always downsize mine to around 90K to 180K depending on what they are.

Ron

Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,
I'd probably post a lot more of my photos if I ever bothered to resize them. Unfortunately, CC does not allow the big photos I have on Fotki, and I really don't want to store multiple sizes. I resize one every so often, but I would rather just post a link to the photo itself.

I don't think that Fotki has any built in resizing software, but I've also not really looked.
I can also password protect albums if I don't want people to see them.
You can see my albums and how I've set things up at: http://public.fotki.com/VRM/

And no - I don't get anything if anybody signs up...

Steve
Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

I just discovered FLICKR, and have started loading pics a few days ago. I am going to have to dig into the boxes, and boxes to start posting my best.