Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default " America From The Air "

Excellent 386 page book on the USA flight paths and views from the air. Comes with a CD ROM for loading into the laptop while traveling.

Reasonably priced @ $ 13.57 + S & H

From Amazon:

America from the Air: A Guide to the Landscape Along Your Route (Paperback)
by Daniel Mathews (Author), James S. Jackson (Author)

Last edited by Don; 12-04-2007 at 01:26 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey good tip, maybe I'll get that for my son. Currently enrolled in a college 'commercial pilot' and 'BA' degree program (4 years).

...or was it a BS degree? Oh well, same same.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber:

I Looked at the book, 13 Flight Corridors are covered including Anchorage-Seattle, but nothing for HI. However, still a great reference guide along with other flight info such as " Why Planes Don't Fly Straight " and " Paths Planes Fly " " Index of Flights " etc etc . The narrative reads like a travel guide with history.

With the CD ROM, would have expected a much higher price.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm a CD Rom kind a guy! I didn't buy my boy that $1,700 lap top so he could read a phucking BOOK, I gotta get my moneys worth, CD!

He's in Ohio going to school, so that will work out nicely.

Last edited by Excaliber; 12-04-2007 at 06:10 PM..
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the READ ME file:

" Welcome to your America From the Air CD companion! We're sure you'll find it to be a useful and rewarding guide on your travels. "

"In addition to a PDF incorporating every page in the book, you'll find a bonus map and an all-in-one, zoomable version of the Flight Path Map for even easier use while following your flight. The bonus Age-Relief map presents the entire continent, showing the age of rocks on the surface as colors superimposed on a topographic shaded-relief map of the continent (courtesy of the USGS). The all-in-one Lower 48 states Flight Path Map is located at the end of the main PDF."

"Use the bookmark tab to navigate between chapters, maps, and indexes. Be sure to read the Introduction to learn how to get the most from your CD companion. On the Flight Path Maps, just click on a number to link to the corresponding page in the book."

"If you prefer to simply turn from page to page, use "page down" in Acrobat Reader if you are flying west or south, or "page up" if you are flying east or north. However, take a "detour" into a different Corridor (chapter) where indicated in blue at the foot of the text pages. (Check either the lower left or lower right corner, depending on which direction you are flying.) Jump to the "detour" page by clicking on the blue page number."

"To navigate to a specific page number, enter the number at the bottom of your Acrobat window frame, then click "enter." Once good way to follow your flight path is to look it up in the Index of Flights, jot down the series of page numbers, then navigate to each page number in turn."

"You can use the bookmark tab to navigate between chapters, maps, and indexes."
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just ordered it on Amazon, thanks for the tip Don. It LOOKS like the book and the CD were a package deal, I sure hope so!

My boy and his mother do a LOT of flying so I made it a gift to both of them. He's currently in Japan, as a matter of fact, karate tournament. He trained hard for this one as he fears the local Japanese are gonna kick his lilly white a$$ all the way back to the mainland, and enjoy doing it.

...now if they just had an international edition...

Last edited by Excaliber; 12-05-2007 at 09:43 AM..
Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It LOOKS like the book and the CD were a package deal, I sure hope so!

Yes, the CD is in a pocket on the back cover
Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

no offense, but a BA and a BS are not the same.

I worked hard for my BS just so I could say "I 'got' a BS!" for emphasis and political commentary.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been so focused on the freakin' COST of his flight time I haven't really thought about the rest of the deal. Besides, kids tend to change majors somewhere along the line, so I'll go with the flow.

His Mom says he will likely continue on to graduate school anyway, and I concur. But when he turns 34, thats it, game over he HAS to move out of the house.

Last edited by Excaliber; 12-05-2007 at 03:30 PM..
Old 12-05-2007, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. T. Toad
no offense, but a BA and a BS are not the same.

I worked hard for my BS just so I could say "I 'got' a BS!" for emphasis and political commentary.
Mmm.....indeed. BS, MS, and Ph.D. Powerful commentary

Means, Bullsh*t, More sh*t, and Piled Higher and Deeper.

As opposed to Broke Again.

Still, all worth while. They get you over the threshhold, anyway.