Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Calling all sheeple

All you sheeple that still think traffic cameras are about safety-raise your hand.

Matthew Benson
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 19, 2008 12:00 AM

Attention lead-footed drivers: Don't slow down now.

The state is counting on you.

Gov. Janet Napolitano is banking on an estimated $90 million in ticket revenue that she expects the state to receive next year from its deployment of photo-enforcement equipment on highways statewide.

With the stable of 100 cameras, which state officials hope to begin installing July 1, it's expected that motorists will rack up $124 million in fines in the first year alone. About $34 million of that would go to overhead and the system's administrator.

In fiscal 2010, with system's first full year, state officials anticipate the issuance of 13,250 citations and net state revenue of $120 million. The estimates are based on calculations made by the vendor, Redflex, and the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Napolitano and DPS officials have long maintained that the program is aimed at improving traffic safety, not making money.

State Rep. John Kavanaugh, R-Fountain Hills, doesn't doubt the governor's intent. But he said he's "disturbed that the introduction of photo radar on state roads is so closely joined to revenue generation" and called the program's timing with the budget deficit "bad public relations."

But Rep. Steve Farley sees speed cameras as one way the state can act like a business by addressing a need and turning a profit at the same time.

"It seems like a smart idea to me," the Tucson Democrat said. "Why not be able to improve safety and at the same time take money from people breaking the law? We do that with parking tickets all the time."
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

That sucks the big one.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Angry

Here's another doozy form today's fishwrap:

Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.20.2008
The number of traffic tickets written in unincorporated Pima County has dropped 30 percent since 2001, despite a steady increase in population.
Although the city had been experiencing a similar drop in traffic tickets, the Tucson Police Department stepped up enforcement last year, dramatically reversing a five-year decline.
Law enforcement officials say they've increasingly had to back off on traffic enforcement over the years to respond to other kinds of calls, although TPD last year restored traffic as a priority and tickets soared.
In 2001, Pima County Justice Courts processed 101,820 civil traffic citations from the Pima County Sheriff's Department, the Department of Public Safety and such small agencies as the University of Arizona and Tucson Airport Authority. In 2007, the Justice Courts processed just 71,115 citations.
Hundreds of offenses — from speeding to broken taillights — are considered civil traffic citations and generate fines but no criminal charges.
Tucson's City Courts saw a similar decline from 2002 to 2006, with civil traffic charges dropping 41 percent, from 166,275 to 97,987. But in 2007, city citations rose to 142,858.
Law enforcement officials offered a variety of reasons for the decline, starting with the very population growth that logic says should have increased the number of tickets.
"Our people have less time to enforce traffic laws," Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said.
"The population has grown, and we haven't kept pace. We just don't have the resources to do proactive enforcement."
State Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Officer Carmen Figueroa said new procedures have also had an effect. DPS officers used to impound vehicles only if a driver was impaired or if the license was suspended for a previous drunken driving offense.
Now they must impound vehicles of all drivers with suspended or revoked drivers' licenses, whatever the reason.
"We're doing a lot of impoundments, and they can take two to three hours, waiting for a tow truck to show up," Figueroa said.
"In talking to our officers, sometimes they are doing two or three a day, so their numbers are down."
The ticket decline has hit Pima County Justice Courts in the wallet. The courts support themselves through fines and fees, and revenue from traffic tickets fell $338,300 from 2005 to 2006 fiscal year.
The loss would have been greater, but the Justice Courts are doing a better job of collecting fines, said Deputy Courts Administrator Douglas Kooi, who stressed he was not trying to tell law enforcement how to allocate resources, only noting the decline.
Whatever the reason for the decline, it's not that drivers are better behaved — a factor in the city's renewed enforcement zeal.
"The reason to do it is in the numbers: 52 fatal collisions that killed 54 people in the last year, and every one of them was needless," said Lt. Mike Pryor, commander of TPD's traffic unit.
Pryor said he hadn't seen the City Courts numbers and didn't realize that the increase in city traffic tickets last year was so great.
Photo radar vans and red-light cameras have played a role, but not enough to account for the entire increase within the city. As of mid-December, the cameras had generated 4,200 tickets. Pryor said the department has renewed its commitment to traffic enforcement.
"Departmentwide, there has been a renewed emphasis on traffic enforcement, and officers are constantly reminded that it is part of their job and they are expected to stop violators," he said.
Also, the traffic unit often will flood a problem area, meaning each officer writes more tickets.
Pryor said the department hopes increased enforcement will result in safer driving, fewer accidents and better quality of life for the community.
And traffic stops also increase the likelihood that officers will find suspects in other crimes, an approach Pryor called "looking beyond the ticket."
"We know that a lot of people committing crimes are not walking to and from their crimes," Pryor said.
"Every time you have an encounter, it's an opportunity to stop another crime.
"
Old 01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hmmm...I thought those cameras were for safety.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

Somebody ask her why aren't the cameras on the border.

Scott S
Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

Why? to catch poor people? These cameras generate $$$ and they can't do that on the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
Somebody ask her why aren't the cameras on the border.

Scott S
Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Thats right... letting illegals in generates short term revenues. Can't get in the way of that!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Now they must impound vehicles of all drivers with suspended or revoked drivers' licenses, whatever the reason.

This part I agree with and we have had it for years here , they just won't enforce it against the illegals or dopers. But why should honest drivers who have to pay to register their vehicles and have proof of insurance be singled out and the illegals and dopers let go? After much complaining about this we finally got them to stop one bunch from using the same plate on five different vehicles and it belonged to a man that registered his pick up and had insurance. He would let them use it on any vehicle for a few dollars a day until they got so many complaints from people that told them they would stop registering any but one of theirs and do the same they had to stop that. One woman here had 14 tickets and had no drivers license, the vehicle hadn't been registered in 5 years, and all they did was haul her home and bring the vehicle to her house. She has a huge income from dope, and a chop shop they finally raided after years of people complaining.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Still debating putting them on I-35 here in the lonestar state!