14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Default Motorcyclist offers apology to members of DUMB

Motorcyclist offers apology and restitution to members of DUMB

An apology is in order, so, please, forgive me. It was not until this morning on my ride to work that I fully understood I was in error.

Yes, I've noticed that there are many very busy and important people on the roads. You all are hard to miss with the cell phones, laptops, breakfast bars, coffee, cigarettes and all, but until now, I didn't realize I was causing so much trouble for you busy, multitasking drivers.
I figured it out this morning, thanks to the nice lady working on the laptop who needed the lane I was in.
First, ma'am, let me say that when I honked at you from the shoulder, I didn't mean to startle you. My intent was just to give you a little beep to let you know the lane was all yours. But I was braking so hard, I couldn't lift my thumb off the horn button. My bad.
I surely didn't mean to cause you to nearly hit the guy talking on the cell phone. You know, he was smoking and talking as he moved his SUV right into the space you had just left.
Anyway, the good news is, that's when I realized all of you multitasking drivers must be texting each other about intended lane changes and running traffic lights and stop signs and such. I'm sorry - I'm still using old-fashioned blinkers. I didn't realize you needed some time to e-notify that guy that you needed the lane back. I really messed it up for both of you!
I can only say that the guard rail was a little distracting, and I was only thinking about myself. I'll try harder next time.
Like I said, I didn't know that was how you multitasking drivers were communicating. It must have been in an e-mail, but my laptop fell off my tank and I haven't replaced it.
However, I have a solution.
I know many of you are so busy and important that you have no choice - you have to eat, work, talk, read and do lots of other really important things as you drive.
Those of us who use the road only for traveling would be happy to stay out of your way; we just need to know you're coming.
A little visual clue would help - I was thinking of a bumper sticker. That way, everyone could identify you as Drivers Utilizing Multiple Behaviors.
Of course, that's a little long, so we'd cut it down to an acronym - DUMB.
If you'd place stickers on the front, back and maybe the sides of your car, the rest of us would know not to interfere with you on the road.
I think it's such a good idea, I'll pay for the bumper stickers and even put them on for you. Deal?
Again, I'm sorry I got in your way. I'll try harder to see you coming from now on.
I promise!"
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Fred,

Very well worded and thought out. Did that happen to you or was it someone else? Now I know why the 18 wheelers around here drive side by side for miles blocking the freeway. That way they can talk and see each other at the same time.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Fred,

Did that happen to you or was it someone else? Now I know why the 18 wheelers around here drive side by side for miles blocking the freeway. That way they can talk and see each other at the same time.

Ron
It happens to most bike riders every time they get out of their driveway. You'd swear that people in cars are dedicated to killing your a$$.

I notice a lot of this same behavior while driving the Cobra too.

I don't know if it has to do with the size of the Cobra/bike or not. I do get the impression from some drivers that they think you have more to lose,so you better get out of my way attitude.

I do think having loud exhaust on both the Cobra and Harley do help some. Especialy when close enough to pull/run into you. If they don't see you ,they might at least hear that someone is very close.
Then you hope they give a $hit.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fred,

When I had my Cobra I tried to avoid the freeway and town as much as possible. Several times I have had people in cars looking at the car and just keep coming over into my lane until I was off the road and I would be waving my arm in the air and yelling and they would finally wake up and jerk their vehicle back into their own lane. When I see someone on a motorcycle I try to give them plenty of room and not pull right up on their back end as I know they can't hear the car and some of them aren't watching the rear to close. So far all the people that I have talked to that were riding motorcycles have been really great.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery