LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     
Default Barack Motors

Now that 'The One' has fired GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner, he has come up with the following:

Unveiling the Government Car Warranty
posted at 9:26 am on March 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey
Send to a Friend | Share on Facebook | printer-friendly

Good news, American auto owners! If you’ve been eyeballing a Lexus or a CRV because you want to own a car whose maker will be around long enough to honor the warranty, take another look at Detroit. Instead of handling their own warranties, Uncle Barack and his dog Spot will handle your warranty — along with a hefty new bureaucracy:

Obama will make two other announcements Monday.

One, the president will announce a new government-backed warranty program for all new GM and Chrysler vehicles purchased during this restructuring period. A fund will be set up equal to 125 percent of the total cost to pay for warranty service. The auto makers will contribute 15 percent while the government will provide 110 percent, with the money coming from the economic stabilization funds, the gift that keeps on giving. A separate company will hold the funds and pay the claims even if one of the auto manufacturers goes into bankruptcy or out of business.

The president will also name a Director of Recovery for Auto Workers and Communities. Edward Montgomery, labor economist and former Deputy Secretary of Labor, will serve in the role, helping autoworkers, communities, and regions adversely impacted by the failure of the automakers find new jobs, businesses, and industries.

This is great news — for fans of the DMV. Vehicle owners can expect the same kind of efficiency and expertise they receive there in handling warranty issues with their vehicles. Instead of working with dealers on the warranties, the government will now have to get involved, which will mean extensive paperwork for every warranty claim as the Directorate of Auto Warranties will have to account for every single penny, or at least those pennies that don’t get earmarked for Auto Warranty Bike Paths by Rep. Jim Oberstar.

Finish your assignment: http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/3...-car-warranty/
Old 03-30-2009, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Sooooo! correct Roscoe, makes no sense whatsoever to fire Wagoner?, Well fine!, now 'the one' and his union buddies can run GM, I'm sure they have a trick up their sleeve to 'make' folks buy cars. There is no way this can continue.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

BO was just on TV, again today - I needed up with the feeling that he is now selling cars, GM cars. Government is now directly backing warranty coverage - he even discussed how great the new Buick is - all the billions and billions just to protect the union workers - Geez, we are screwed.

Also...

Chrysler reportedly has been given a 30-day window to complete a proposed partnership with Fiat. The government will offer up to $6 billion if they can negotiate a deal before time runs out. If a Chrysler-Fiat deal cannot be completed, Washington may walk away.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If a Chrysler-Fiat deal cannot be completed, Washington may walk away.....or worse....walk in...

Roscoe
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

True - Blow-bama will first oust anyone with any brains at GM and Chrysler, then promote union chiefs to head up the auto companies. The result will be Yugos selling for $50,000 a clip.

I’d bet the majority of auto workers voted for the Zero. Reap what you sow....
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Where the he** are our lawmaker's?, they know this stinks?, just letting him have his way with no objection from either side really sucks!. I don't even get 'form' letters from mine any more, blacklisted I guess?.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sad, but they had to know it was comming.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2tXl5-TcQ

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Obama: "if you buy a car from Chrysler or General Motors..." " starting today, the United States government will stand behind your warrantee.

Implicit in that statement is another one...

"On the other hand, if you buy a Ford, you are on your frikken own, buddy!"

The mess that America is in just keeps getting worse, primarily due to government interference.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the US Government were to design and build a car:

1. Thirty Federal agencies will submit designs, 8 will be approved in committee, and a combination of 11 designs will pass both the House and Senate. This process will repeat when the other party takes control a few years later.

2. When the DNC is in charge you will only be able to buy cheap economy cars with no horsepower.

3. When the GOP is in charge you will only be able to buy cars designed 80 years ago, because technological advances are too progressive.

4. GOP features include:
Bible Belts for safety devices.
Gunracks - up to 8 per vehicle.
Extra engine - just to burn even more gas.
You will only be able to go straight, unless you park it in a bathroom stall.
Jesus can be your co-pilot, but that is a weekly extra tithe option.
Cowcatcher - for getting those pesky pedestrians out of YOUR way.
AM radio that only plays the local Christian station and Rush Limbaugh.
Ten permanently mounted 'Support the Troops' emblems.
Rich Corinthian Leather made from dead baby seals and other cute animals.
Any colour can be ordered as long as it is RedState Red.

5. DNC mandatory options incllude:
Twelve point safety harnesses, multiple full body airbags, full face helmet, and Hans device.
An ultra fuel efficient engine that will run on anything, including Al Gore speeches.
Advanced electronics package to do everything for you, and including web access with the homepage permanently set to 'Move On'.
Plant/Animal Collision Avoidance system approved by PETA.
Heaters powered by global warming - air conditioners are against the law.
Any colour can be ordered as long as it is BlueState Blue or SaveThePlanet Green.

6. GOP cars will be built in Canada using slave labour because red state hillbillies are too uneducated to build cars. They will be so expensive that only the 20 richest people in the country will be able to afford one, and all profits will go to the CEOs.

7. DNC cars will be built right in America with union labour trained in the most advanced 19th century building techniques. Each employee will make up to $450 per hour, but each car will only cost $213. The taxpayers will make up the rest.

8. Nascar will race, and subsequently destroy, two GOP cars when they find out that it cannot turn at all, but can only stay the course. A French team will race the DNC car at the 24 Hours of LeMans. It will finish last in class, but will win the Index of Performance award for the highest average speed for the least fuel consumed. It will average 7mph over the entire 24 hours running on a small stale piece of French bread, and a mouldy smear of brie.

9. The GOP car will be called the Exceptional Rush of All American Patriotism, despite being built in Canada. The GOP will engage in a large propaganda campaign to convince everyone that the car really is American. The DNC car will be called The Peoples Moonbat.

10. It will take an act of Congress to make Americans buy either car.

Last edited by VRM; 03-30-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Fixed it for Buzz
Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Lol! I thought for sure the DNC cars would be also be available in green with heaters powered by global warming.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Lol! I thought for sure the DNC cars would be also be available in green with heaters powered by global warming.
Of course they are! Your trusty documenter of government stupidity has corrected that oversight.

Thanks Buzz - great addition!

Steve
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"I want every American to know that the path I'm laying out today is our best chance to make sure that the cars of the future are built where they've always been built -- in Detroit and across the Midwest--..." [26th paragraph of text]

In other words--Southern (Red State) auto plants are gonna be SOL, even though they are way more efficient than the older plants in Detroit.

I'll bet - the non-union plants will be shut down.

One has got to wonder if tons of American will just avoid buying from GM with it run by a communist control group.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the Gov. wants to run GM, why don't they simply buy all the stock at $1,650,000,000. So far they have put $14 Billion into a $1.65 Billion company and ARE going to put some more multi Billions into it. Yet for about 1 single Billion, they could own control of the company.

Could that be why we don't think the Gov. should run any business?

And does anybody remember that Chrysler is a privately held company? Not even stock holder owned? And that the parent company is flush with cash. Why I am buying it against my will without getting any equity?

Dan
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This just up from http://www.wizbangblog.com/

Obama: Taxpayers Will Guarantee Their Own GM Warranties
Posted by Kim Priestap
Published: March 30, 2009 - 12:02 PM

Barack Obama says the US government will guarantee the warranties for GM vehicles.

It is my hope that the steps I am announcing today will go a long way towards answering many of the questions people may have about the future of GM and Chrysler. But just in case there are still nagging doubts, let me say it as plainly as I can -- if you buy a car from Chrysler or General Motors, you will be able to get your car serviced and repaired, just like always. Your warrantee (sic) will be safe. In fact, it will be safer than it's ever been. Because starting today, the United States government will stand behind your warrantee (sic).

In other words, you the American taxpayer will be paying for your own GM warranties. Your taxes will just be recycled through the government first before they're sent to the dealerships to pay for warranty work. So, taxpayers would be smart to avoid purchasing GM vehicles all together in order to save themselves some money. As I've said before, everything this administration touches it ruins.

Rush is talking about this now, and he's absolutely right when he predicts that eventually you will find union members and environmentalists on the board of directors and that GM will begin making the cars the environmentalists want. He also predicts that GM will ultimately be run and owned by the UAW, as a pay back to the union. Rush called it a union coup - and he's spot on. As a result, the UAW won't have to make any concessions, at least none of any significance, in this deal.

My husband and I will be in the market for a new vehicle in September. I can tell you right now we will not purchase a GM or Chrysler vehicle. Instead, we're looking at a Ford first and then Honda and Toyota, and one of the reasons is because Ford turned down government money. I would have had a lot more respect for GM and Chrysler for that matter if they had declared bankruptcy. At least they would still be autonomous organizations. Now they're just another arm of the US government and will be run by politicians and bureaucrats who have not run even one small business before, let alone an auto company.

Added: Obama can't prevent GM from still entering into Chapter 11. If this new CEO Fritz Henderson has any intelligence at all and truly wants to save his company, then he will contact his attorneys and enter Chapter 11 immediately and stop this UAW coup
Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5013 - Warmed up & enlarged 302, carb- Painted RED
Not Ranked     

What's worse is that as a non-GM owner, I'll be paying for GM warranties. There must be drugs in the water in DC
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Plus, you will be making payments for those that buy a car but later lose their job.

On the positive side - "Government Motors" can be used, so no change for GM.

Off the web.....

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. private sector job losses accelerated in March, more than economists' expectations, according to a report by ADP Employer Services on Wednesday.

KEY POINTS: * ADP said private employers cut 742,000 jobs in March versus a 706,000 revised cut in February that was originally reported at 697,000 jobs. * Economists had expected 655,000 private-sector job cuts in March, according to a recent Reuters poll.
_____

YIKES! I guess that stimulus package hasn't kicked in.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Toyota U.S. March Sales Drop 39% -
GM U.S. Sales Drop 44.7% In March -
Chrysler March U.S. Sales Drop 39% -
Honda U.S. March Sales Fall 36.3% -
BMW U.S. March Sales Fall 22.9% -
Daimler U.S. March Sales Fall 23% -
Ford U.S. March Sales Drop 40.9% -