Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     
Default Why do some guys.......

Why do some guys buy muscle car type cars like Ford Mustangs with a 6 cylinder? Why not go with the 8? Is it all about the image.

Nothing funnier than looking at a Ford Mustang with single exhaust!

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I have a small-block in my replica 427SC and the body is made of fibreglass rather than aluminium.

These are big problems for some people but for me it was part of the mix of questions around want/afford/need

I guess for the mustang owners its the same deal - the sixes we're popular in the early models too - maybe they're nostalgia buffs rather than muscle car fans?

But I know what you mean...

LoBelly
Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams View Post
Why do some guys buy muscle car type cars like Ford Mustangs with a 6 cylinder? Why not go with the 8? Is it all about the image.

Nothing funnier than looking at a Ford Mustang with single exhaust!
I agree. I never understood why they didn't just put a dual exhaust on all Mustangs. They managed to do it with my Acura.

On the other hand, the new Camaro 3.6L 6 banger is going to put out 304 HP...won't be too bad for a little run about.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

We call that, "all show and no go."

Image is...well maybe not.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well at least I know that it is Monday as Tru is back posting. Around here if you can find an original Mustang with the 6 cylinder and three speed on the floor, they are worth quite a bit. Not many were sold in this area back in the early 60s with that combination.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

Late model cars I can understand(keep it original) but how about the guy who thinks he is all that with a single exhaust-- 6 cyl!!!!!

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

My son is looking for a 6 cyl Mustang because the cost of insurance. An accident totalled out his 2008 Focus. Not his fault! Jim
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, insurance reasons, fuel mileage, price for a few reasons......

according to the Ford specs, this is how they compare;

09 models

Mustang GT----
300 hp/320-tq
mileage---15 to 22 mpg
MSRP----$27,995.00

Mustang 6cyl coupe---
210hp/240tq
mileage----17 to 26 mpg
MSRP----$20,430.00

When the new body style came out in 05, I was at a dealer and talked to a salesman,he said he and another salesman took a 6 cyl car and a GT for a test ride and they did a drag race and then swapped cars and did it again, he told me he would not have believed how close the 6 cyl car was to the GT from 0 to 75 mph had he not done it himself....

The 6 cyl cars make very good,ecomomical daily drivers, for less money up front and less insurance premium.... throw on a 5lb Vortec supercharger for 3k and you'll out preform a GT all day long.....

BTW: Some Ford dealers are making killer deals, cars are not moving.... this past december a budy bought an 08 GT with a 5 sp, 3.55 rear gears and leather interior for the price of a 6 cyl car... Dealer was loaded down with GTs still on the lot and needed to move them as the 09s were coming in.............

David
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Don't believe the mileage numbers. I had a 2000 V6 because it was what I could afford at the time. I traded it in on my 03GT that I now drive. I get better gas mileage in the GT than I ever got in the 6. After putting on a catted X pipe and Mac 2 Chamber mufflers, changing the rear gears from 3.27s to 3.73s and reprogramming the chip and changing the A/F ratio to a point that I have to run 91 Octane or higher, I averaged 22 MPG this weekend. I did a few high RPM passes on the back highways and I averaged between 70 and 80 the whole way. Stop light take offs were not generally gentle. The V6 mileage I never got the rated 26, I usually stayed around 21-22 highway, and before mods the GT was getting 26-28 highway. Insurance is higher, but the car drives way better. The single tire fryer V6 loved to try to spin out when the roads were just a little wet. The GT stays strait unless you get in it.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a '99 V6 Mustang, and I get 25 MPG combination city/freeway. I didnt need a third car with a V8 (Cobra with a 351, '57 Fairlane with a 429.)

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe, those are great numbers on the highway mileage,26 to 28 before mods is super good for a GT..........

My buddy that has the 08 GT, had to go to Virginia on business and went in the GT and told me he averaged 24 mpg on the highway cruising at 75 mph for the trip.... His car is showroom stock and only has about 4,000 miles on it right now, he did get it with the 3.55 rear gear and a 5 speed manuel........still not bad for a GT car......

David
Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The mileage ratings are made by a professional high mileage drivers, with no A/C. They have no relationship to 'real world' driving. My HEMI Magnum gets 13 in town and 16,17 on the hwy. If I remember right the mileage was rated at 16 city, 24 hwy. NEVAH HAPPEN!
The dealers wanted list plus $10,000. [over $40,000.] for the HEMI. 6 cylinder models were available at below factory invoice price. $17,000.
Found a dealer that wanted to move a car, got the HEMI at $2000 below sticker. Still over $30K, but before gas prices skyrocketed.

I remember, "All show and no go," way back in the 50's. "Lead sled" was another put down of under-powered lookers. The 'Frenched' headlights and taillights of the lowered 50 Mercury's were done with melted lead. Don't remember when Bondo and 'Green stuff' was invented.

Dan
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
Joe, those are great numbers on the highway mileage,26 to 28 before mods is super good for a GT..........

My buddy that has the 08 GT, had to go to Virginia on business and went in the GT and told me he averaged 24 mpg on the highway cruising at 75 mph for the trip.... His car is showroom stock and only has about 4,000 miles on it right now, he did get it with the 3.55 rear gear and a 5 speed manuel........still not bad for a GT car......

David
Mine is an 03 5 speed manual as well with 56K on it. I also forgot to mention I did the cursory change the air filter and I took up the slack on the throttle cable to bring the pedal up to almost even with the brake. Although no HP increase with that it did wonders for throttle response. I have no complaints. Before mods, I got the same gas mileage that we got in our old Focus 4 cyl.

I don't doubt some get better than I got in the 6, maybe I just had a crappy 6 and a really good running GT.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the 6 was a California car, don't know if it makes a difference on the 2000 like it did back in the day. The GT has been a great reliable car. Time for new shocks, struts, clutch job (throw out bearing is squeaking so might as well do the whole damn thing since it has 56K) and new tires soon.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan,
That is right in line with all of my cars except the GT and the F150 we have now (07 supercrew 4.6L). The GT without the mods gets much better and with the mods only slightly less. The F150 running the AC at 70-75 MPH not towing gets right at 18 (rated at 15 city and 18 hwy). Maybe I really did get lucky with my 2 current vehicles.