Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham - KMP493
Not Ranked     
Default Do radar detectors really work?

In anticipation of taking delivery of KMP 493 in what I hope is the not too distant future, and having borrowed little brother's KMP for a weekend to "get used to it", can anyone tell me if radar detectors really work? I'll have the luxury of an auxillary power source to run one (not sure I'd hear it though). I don't anticipate any high speed encounters but after a stint in the car and after the tone deafness sets in you can't "hear" how fast your going. I found it easy to drift into three digit speeds and that can lead to high three digit tickets...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Yes. I do about 40k a year at extremely rapid speeds whenever possible (a C6 is my business car) all over California, and I have been saved countless times. I have noticed CHP test teams using lazor guns lately on the 99, a major north-south route.

That being said, I rarely use one in No. 184 despite DaveyBoy adding a power source for me under the dash.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

won't do anything for the instant on radar or lazer, too fast. but is nice to alert if you if you pick up radar off other cars or they leave their radar on.

i wouldn't be without my valentine.

be careful if you get to relying on it and then drive a diffeent car without the detector.

i was driving up the highway on sat this week and the cops flock to it like flies to crap because less traffic and easier to pick off people, they were using lazer and my valentine never picked up a one, must have been 3 or 4 cops, all from different cities with common boundaries.

i did get a ticket a year ago from lazer in a school zone and never set the detector off.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

From an electronics point of view, they really do detect radar. What you do after the fact is a matter of choice.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by acindrich View Post
I found it easy to drift into three digit speeds and that can lead to high three digit tickets...
If the Cop doesn't want to hassle with the paperwork for arresting you. (most states 100mph is automatic arrest)

Last edited by Ronbo; 04-28-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I had a radar detector in Hawaii years ago when they used radar guns, and
it worked very well. As soon as they made the transition to lasers I got a
laser detector. Lucky for me they had a 3 month learning period and only
gave you a warning. I got stopped three times and took the detector out.
About the time I got the warning a cop would be stepping out to wave you
over. No scatter with laser so by the time you detect it is too late.
They are all over the place here now.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR - 351 / 385 hp
Not Ranked     
Default Yes they do!

After a great weekend on the tour of Florida ride with the DSCC, I loaded my Cobra in the trailer & headed back to Atlanta. Just because I had my Valentine out I hooked it up in my truck for the ride home. Coming out of a small town in S. GA, where the speed limit increased from 35 to 45, and then to 55, I got a "hit" on the detector & moved to the right lane while I started slowing down a bit. The poor guy behind me stayed on the gas & got nailed by one of Georgia's finest. He was doing about 55 in a 45, and the 55 speed limit sign was about 200 yards ahead. He probably knew the road & knew the speed limit change, just got in a bit of a hurry.

That's where the radar detectors serve a useful purpose. As for laser, just get ready to "pay the man"
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I believe they are even going to get a laser radar up in this area to use on I-5. Probably down in the Red Bluff area as just South of there has always been their largest ticket issuing area. Road is straight and boring as there is not much but flat ground and it is really easy to kind of get lulled into not paying attention and the first thing you know you see red lights and find out you were doing 75 or 80 in the 70 zone.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

They won't work in a KMP because of the aluminum body blocking the signal.

________
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Talking

From my experience as a Chippie, Radar detectors do work. The thing is, its kinda like someone telling you to duck AFTER you've been shot.

I've cited countless motorists with really expensive detectors sitting on their dash. My buddy swears by his, and its fun to argue about over some beers.

LIDAR (Laser) is our new toy, no real countermeasures that I know of

Best advice is save your money and keep it within 5 mph of the speed limit.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe I'll just stick to getting to the speedlimit really quickly but not go over it. Course, I hear there's a ticket for that too. That'd be a fun thread to start - worst ticket you got and worst one you got out of...

If I do get stopped I'll just try to blame it on the other really shiny car in the area at the same time and hope it had a roll bar and stripes too.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Acindrich, we have one here, it's call 'Illegal display of horsepower'. Just found out about it the other day.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not sure exactly what kind of radar/laser is used by the La. state police, but they all have a hand held button and a "standby" mode on their unit,when in this mode, it emits no signal, but the unit is on and ready to go. When they're parked "running radar", they "pace" the oncoming cars and if needed, hit the button and they have an instant mph reading on you, your detector will go off, but it's too late.....

BTW: In good ole La.,word is if you have a radar detector, you get NO warning, you automatically get a ticket and it WILL NOT be "fixed"... I guess it pi$$es off the cops when you have one on the dash...

BTW: I don't have one, I just stay within 5 mph of the posted limit and the cops never give me a second look.....so far.....

David
Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: west Coast Cobra FRP 460, Tremec 5 sp, Ford 9" rear
Not Ranked     

I have a bel 985 and it works great on the highway as long as there is anyone in front. It has amazing range. Almost too far. But, you get used to the warning beeps and how far the bears are away. It doesn't work so good in hills or corners though. It seams if you don't go 20 km/hr over limit they don't bother you much anyway
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 S/O View Post
Acindrich, we have one here, it's call 'Illegal display of horsepower'. Just found out about it the other day.
That's funny, I wonder if like speed limits there's a minimum and a maximum. My Civic is in serious violation of having any horsepower at all. After returning the borrowed KMP I got back in the Civic and felt like butterflies had more horsepower than what I was sitting on.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Here they call any quick starts or chirping of the tires Speed Exhibition and the tickets are quite high. Also at times depending on the cop an what mood he is in they will write a ticket for dong 42 or 43 in a 40 zone. This pertains to any car, not just Cobras.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here in ct most towns and state troopers have laser- once they hit you ur done! Laser, unlike radar needs line of sight- meaning by the time u see him- he saw you- because he ahs to aim it at you.
I always stay out of the left lane to avoid being the guy out front who they aim at most of the time
joeg
Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I saw a show on myth busters where they tested all kinds of countermeasures for radar, cameras and l believe laser. Painting the license plate or covering it. Nothing seemed to work as advertised. Play safe and live right. Keep your fingers crossed and a few luckey pennies in the glove box.

John
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
I saw a show on myth busters where they tested all kinds of countermeasures for radar, cameras and l believe laser. Painting the license plate or covering it. Nothing seemed to work as advertised. Play safe and live right. Keep your fingers crossed and a few luckey pennies in the glove box.

John
Good advice. I'm safe for now as my current ride has two speeds - slow and reverse
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

"Spidey-Senses" LOL Seems to work well.