CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

drop liberator pistols from a plane
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

How is that legal?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

It's completely legal...we used to have safety/light checks as well. It's a "privilege" (not a right) to use the streets, and vehicles upon roadways are always subject to the full extent of the Vehicle and Health & Safety Codes.

The benefit is that they're more likely to catch environmentalists in their 30 year-old oil smoking Volvos.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

and it's a privilege that too many have.

At least there are too many here ..... followed a truck the other night that was weaving all over the place. Was about to call it in when we stopped at a light - she was yelling and waving at one of the kids in the back while trying not to drop her burger .....
Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
and it's a privilege that too many have.

At least there are too many here ..... followed a truck the other night that was weaving all over the place. Was about to call it in when we stopped at a light - she was yelling and waving at one of the kids in the back while trying not to drop her burger .....
Well said, bucko!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Hey Jamo,
Not asking to be funny, just genuinely curious. I don't know if you know or not, but I have wondered how is it a privilege when we pay for the ability to use the road? Specifically talking Toll Roads here, but the same argument can be made for public streets as well. My tax dollars pay for those roads, but when you have a road owned by a private company, and you pay a toll to operate on that road, how do the state laws apply when they do not apply to private parking lots?

Just something I have wondered for some time but never found an explanation that actually made sense. Usually end up getting opinions and asinine comments
Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Toll roads are a bit different, aren't they...you're renting them. Like the difference between a hooker and a wife.

Now...the wife is like a public roadway. No matter how much stuff you buy them, they still make you think it's a privilege to provide any friendly favors. Try telling your wife you have a "right" to git sum.

You are most welcome.

Seriously, the roadways are regulated under the state's "police powers" and therefore not open for use as a matter of right. Same goes for licensing.

Last edited by Jamo; 05-05-2009 at 09:58 AM..
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Toll roads are a bit different, aren't they...you're renting them. Like the difference between a hooker and a wife.

Now...the wife is like a public roadway. No matter how much stuff you buy them, they still make you think it's a privilege to provide any friendly favors. Try telling your wife you have a "right" to git sum.

You are most welcome.

Seriously, the roadways are regulated under the state's "police powers" and therefore not open for use as a matter of right. Same goes for licensing.
I understand the licensing, it just seems off to me that if you are licensed by the state, the car is registered with the state and the use of the road is paid by you, you should have the right to use that road. Now if the license is revoked, or you do not pay for use, then I fully see it. I guess that is why I work in Electronics instead of the legal system. I confuse to easily with legal stuff.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

It's a revocable privilege...based upon compliance with the laws and regulations.

Last edited by Jamo; 05-05-2009 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wicked View Post
I understand the licensing, it just seems off to me that if you are licensed by the state, the car is registered with the state and the use of the road is paid by you, you should have the right to use that road. Now if the license is revoked, or you do not pay for use, then I fully see it. I guess that is why I work in Electronics instead of the legal system. I confuse to easily with legal stuff.
If the car is smogging, has no brakes, or lights aren't working, whatever its unsafe condition, it is in violation of that licensing agreement. And looses its [your] rights and/or privileges. Same as the driver DWI, a violation of the license agreement.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan and Jamo,
Thanks, I was assuming a working car that has a valid state inspection and registration. I do understand that just because a car passes today, does not mean it passes tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I'm glad they do roadside and driving sniffs of vehicles. After living in California for years and abiding by the SMOG reg's, it really PI$$ED me off to see some idiot driving his smoking POS down the road, knowing he had paid a shop to "pass" the vehicle rather then fix the problem like the rest of us. Add this with towing vehicles where the driver is unlicensed or uninsured was the best way to eliminate alot of the problems on the roadways.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Jamo, you got it correct..it's a revocable privilege to operate on the highways of America.

We pay the freight, we require rules and laws and yes, we need ocasional enforcement...even if it's ineffective and situational to a location or region. Too many folks feel entitled and that everything is up to their interpetation. If the authorities have a legitimate purpose and it pertains to safety..it's most likely a good thing.
I remember all those "smog stops", "drunk driving stops" and of course all those truck inspection places along the highways.

We've come a long way in making the highways better, and safer while increasing the ease of travel, so what's a few Gestopo's inspections going to do?...Hopefully save my life.

Hey...move to AZ where all we have is photo camera's and cops that hate getting out of their air conditioned cars.

Pedal to the metal, Bill
Old 05-09-2009, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF2245 View Post
I'm glad they do roadside and driving sniffs of vehicles. After living in California for years and abiding by the SMOG reg's, it really PI$$ED me off to see some idiot driving his smoking POS down the road, knowing he had paid a shop to "pass" the vehicle rather then fix the problem like the rest of us. Add this with towing vehicles where the driver is unlicensed or uninsured was the best way to eliminate alot of the problems on the roadways.

OutstandingThe rest of us should be subjected to un-warranted,un-reasonable,useless,non-safety,non-pollution effecting,revenueing tactics because you're "pi$$ed off.That's just "b!tchin".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bess View Post
Jamo, you got it correct..it's a revocable privilege to operate on the highways of America.

1)We pay the freight, we require rules and laws and yes, we need ocasional enforcement...even if it's ineffective and situational to a location or region. 2)Too many folks feel entitled and that everything is up to their interpetation. 3)If the authorities have a legitimate purpose and it pertains to safety..it's most likely a good thing.
I remember all those "smog stops", "drunk driving stops" and of course all those truck inspection places along the highways.

4)We've come a long way in making the highways better, and safer while increasing the ease of travel, 5)so what's a few Gestopo's inspections going to do?...Hopefully save my life.

Hey...move to AZ where all we have is photo camera's and cops that hate getting out of their air conditioned cars.

Pedal to the metal, Bill
1)Explain this
2)This one too
3)It's NOT a legitmate purpose
4)Really?What planet are you driving on?
5)So what's a few Gestapo inspections?

ANswer these posers,Bill

1)What level of particulate matter(PPM) has to be reached in order to trigger a SMOG alert?
2) What's the PPM blowing on-shore?
3)What changes about the smog test(in Ca) for your vehicle every year?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

I am selling a piece of heavy logging equipment to a guy down in CA, it turns out my skidder is one of the few that will fit CA emission standards which increased it value greatly.

I want to watch the smog check.....

Scott S
Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scott,

But it will never pass the visual test. It has dirt on the tracks and that is not the smae dirt that came on them from the factory.

Congratulations on finding a place wher you could get more for it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Congratulations on finding a place wher you could get more for it.

Ron
I think it is really funny that I will finally get a benefit from green legislation, I found out why the purchaser needed my machine and the price went up 25%...

It is even funnier that CA has inspectors running around checking to insure equipment like this complies with the rules.

Funnier yet is the company buying the skidder is getting a $75K grant from CA to help with the purchase. No wonder you all are broke.

Scott S
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

With all the businesses and people fleeing Ca.,it seems like the air should be improving daily.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
OutstandingThe rest of us should be subjected to un-warranted,un-reasonable,useless,non-safety,non-pollution effecting,revenueing tactics because you're "pi$$ed off.That's just "b!tchin".

1)Explain this
2)This one too
3)It's NOT a legitmate purpose
4)Really?What planet are you driving on?
5)So what's a few Gestapo inspections?

ANswer these posers,Bill

1)What level of particulate matter(PPM) has to be reached in order to trigger a SMOG alert?
2) What's the PPM blowing on-shore?
3)What changes about the smog test(in Ca) for your vehicle every year?
Bill...you're being a bit too aggressive with your hate for all things California. Back off or I'll ban Arizona. Thanks.