Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     
Default Cruise night + unsupervised kids = chipped paint

Uaaaaaaagh!!!! I Love my Cobra....royal blue with wimbleton white stripes and now a new chip in the paint. One that should not have happened with proper supervision. A kid about 9 years old began swinging a military type dog tag and hit the quarter panel below the fuel cap. Now, I've got a little road rash on the front end and that is to be expected but this pissed me off!!! The guardian of the child was leaning on the back of his vehicle while the kid was left to roam amongst everyones pride and joys. I've got information on the kid but what can you do except get the touch up paint out? Anybody else wish to share their horror stories? I'm sure my experience is minor compared to others.

Last edited by Pman1961; 05-14-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Thats why I don't take mine to Cruise Nites. I've seen that and worse, and its not just the kids, the adults are just as bad. I love the ones who admire the paint job, and then have to touch it. What does touching the paint have to do with how it looks, other than pissing off the owner of the car and smearing their fingerprints all over it?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I had my 70 AMX at a Concourse De elegance and a mother was holding her child, maybe 3 or 4 years old and was eating an ice cream cone, she leaned in to look at the interior of my car and the ice cream dropped out of the cone and into my car, fortunately the car had already been judged. Nice mess though!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
A few years ago a friend and I went to a small car show up at Mt. Shasta. We parked together and were just sitting talking and here came this guy with one of those big cowboy belt buckles that are about 6" square. He had to lean over Joe's car to try the shifter to be sure it worked and that belt buckle took a chip out of the top of the door about the size of a half dollar. We were parked right in front of the police station and when he turned toward my car, I called one of the police who was helping with the show and told him I wanted that guy kept away from my car. Joe went ballistic as he had just had a new paint job done for that show. The police took the guy outside the street block signs and told him if he came back inside they would arrest him.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been involved with a bunch of car shows and I have told a couple of parents that if their out-of-control kid causes any damage that they will be financially responsible for it. One of them gave me a hard time about it so the whole family got ejected.

I heard another story about how a kid picked up a rock and started banging on a bunch of cars at a show. I don't know how true it is as nobody telling it was ever there, but it supposedly happened in VT.

I think people need to be financially responsible for this kind of crap.

Steve
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     

I told my brother my situation and he recalls a friend telling him of unattended kids throwing rocks at each other and along with a few cars at a car show. I'm very leary of doing the cruise nights again. Maybe just as a spectator Also, as archrms states why do some people just have to put their hands on the shiny paint? That brings back a memory of when the car was delivered to the house. One of several neighbors came down and was touchy feely all over the car. I dealt with it because the car needed cleaning after delivery and a trip to Olthoff's. But then he grabbed the wing window and started swinging it back and forth. That's when my anal speech came out!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Similar situation years ago. I found the parents; copied down license; filed police report; filed claim with insurance who paid and got it fixed. Was a prety good ding.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Car show morons

I'm at a car show one day when this brain dead moron walks up to my car and raps his knuckles on the guard to see if it was aluminium or glass. He bashed it so hard that if it was metal he would have dented it and he wondered why I went off my t!ts.
Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

This is why I am careful where I take my car, even though one person on this site said I should just leave it in the garage because I give a crap about it...
Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've had 2 instances. Both were local cruise nights. One person was walking a dog through the show, which is a no-no. The dog ran around the front of the car next to me and the leash burned the paint off the guys car. It didn't happen to me, but I felt for the guy. It was a really trick paint job.

I had my Cobra at another show and came back to find 2 kids in the seats. A lady was taking pictures. I went ballistic and told her to get the damn kids out of the car. She kept saying "I just want a few pictures". There were about 10 people standing around and they all started telling her to get out.

My car isn't pristine, so going to the local cruises isn't a big deal, but some people are just plain stupid.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Okay, you all need to stop buying lottery tickets...you are wasting your money...you do not have the luck.

I have had photo sessions for kids and adults. Not a scatch.

I think I am going to stop that, sounds like the odds will stack against me.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

As inferred earlier, the most dreaded words ever heard by me at a show, parking lot or any other...
"I wonder if it's aluminum........"
Soon to be heard by....BANG, BANG, BANG (a knuckle, and hand, and a gun!)
It amazes me how little respect some people have for others property. the comment above about putting your kids in SOMEONE ELSE"S car!?!?!?!?!
Nothing beats opening your garage on a sunny day to do some work, and turning around to find some (other) idiot standing in it !
But for me, the ultimate pet peeve since I drive mine a lot is somebody wiping acroos the paint to clear off the dust/dirt/bugs to 'see' the paint
Old 05-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nothing beats opening your garage on a sunny day to do some work, and turning around to find some (other) idiot standing in it .

I have gotten to where I go out and lock my driveway gate before I open the garage if I plan on having it open more than a few minutes. One day I was under the car and heard a noise and when I crawled out there were 5 people walking around the garage looking at the cars. And I have two huge No Trespassing and Keep Out signs on the gate. I now have a big NRA sticker along with them.

Also a few years ago a cop who is a friend of mine wanted to bring some friend of his from out of state out to see my cars. I told him ok and they showed up with two kids a dam dog, and this idiot. First thing he did was walk in the garage and take his fist and hit the side of the car. I kind of got mad and told the cop friend that I was going into the house and when I came back he and that moron had better be gone as I was going after my gun. He knew that I meant it as we used to shoot together on the police range. He also knew that I was really pissed and I told him the next time I saw his car I thought that I was going to return the favor.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 05-18-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

It just amazes...
I would go crazy as a $*ithouse rat if my kids EVER did any of the things that pass the radar now. Scared for where we are headed.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe View Post
It just amazes...
I would go crazy as a $*ithouse rat if my kids EVER did any of the things that pass the radar now. Scared for where we are headed.
If I had done 1/2 of what I see kids doing now. I would have had my ass tore up.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRM View Post
I've been involved with a bunch of car shows and I have told a couple of parents that if their out-of-control kid causes any damage that they will be financially responsible for it. One of them gave me a hard time about it so the whole family got ejected.

I heard another story about how a kid picked up a rock and started banging on a bunch of cars at a show. I don't know how true it is as nobody telling it was ever there, but it supposedly happened in VT.

I think people need to be financially responsible for this kind of crap.

Steve
Aren't they? If somebody's little* kids damaged my car, I would be firm but easy on the kids and I'd jump all over the parents. Dam' right they'd be financially responsible.

*I say "little" because we often still refer to 18 and 19 year olds as "kids". Different story altogether.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...