Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     
Default Obama's wants 35.5mpg by 2016

That is 39mpg for cars and 30mpg for trucks (good luck getting that with anything over a 1/2 ton and still having something left to pull a load). Anyway, that got me thinking about the last couple Southwest flights I've been on (I fly cheap). The planes were not even close to being full, and I'm sure I wasn't on the only plane that was empty...so, I started thinking. Southwest used 1.5 BILLION gallons of fuel in 2008 . Southwest has a fleet of planes with an average age of 10 years (my plane was 14 years old...I got bored and asked). So, why doesn't Uncle "O" go find out the waste of fuel a 10+ year old aircraft uses flying empty verses a more modern fleet with better loads. I'm not against seeing improvements in our mileage, but really, how 'bout looking at the big picture and look at aircraft, trains, ships, semi-trucks and stick them with the same type of % improvements the auto industry seems to get hammered with.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Solar powered vehicles most likely would be the only real way to not use any energy from the earths's stock pile of fuels.
Gas (any gas) and electrical (batteries) are our best bet for now but who really knows.
If you could get a freely ( no earth resources) produced power source things might be great, but it would still cost us and arm and a leg to buy the source.

Big government (Obama) would like to see us all walkin or riding a bikes...kinda like other 3rd world countries and living in poverity.
But I do think 35 - 45 MPH is not really an unreaasonable goal for the commom motorized rickshaw.
Look for the 427, all electric Cobra-Rickitty-Shaw -Shelby RS.

Bill - kidding around somemore!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
What about all of those jets that Pelosi, Fienstienm, and Boxer had to have as they won't fly together. Normally two trips a week from Washington DC to San Francisco as they only (joke here) work three days a week. Then of course the presidential fleet of planes and helicopters which rivals the military's. And all of those other crooks in Congress have the same set ups. Then of course the Limos that set and idle for hours because they can't afford to not be nice and cool for those people to ride in. Congress and the President wastes more fuel in a week than the rest of the people can afford in a year.
And like you and the mostly empty planes, back when I was working and even on the cross country flights I don't think I ever was on but one that was close to being full.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-19-2009, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Seriously Ron, do you actually think any government agency or big business will ever use common sense and conserve our resources. These are people in power and that is what they think they must do..waste everything. On the other hand, we the folks are the ones that must conserve, reduce and do with less so we can meet govenments and big business stupid goals.

Bill
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hell, imagine the fuel savings if the Gov't took a look at the fuel used by the US Military. I recall all too well sitting in the back of an M113 APC idling for HOURS while watching the same occure with a line of M1A1 Abrams and such. I can't even begin to imagine the fuel totals for the Air Force and Navy...aw well, take our HP, make our kids drive econo-boxes and ignore the real problem. But it sure looks like "hope" for real "change" is just a silly headline away.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill,

No, I can't ever in my lifetime see any politician giving up any of their so called perks, no matter what it costs the people. And there is so much apathy among the people that they will never be voted out of office until it is to late and they have did away with the right to vote.

Is this the headline that you are referring to SPF? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090519/...us_obama_autos

I like the idea but I notice they don't say anything about what it will add to the price of a new car, many of which are already priced out of reach of the average working person. And the idea that gas will drop in the future because of this I don't buy either as the oil companies are not going to let their profits drop any more than they have to. Example: Right here right now. Gas is going up fast as the tourist trade is way down due to people staying closer to home. It always goes up during tourist season, but now they have to make up for the lost sales they would have normally had so it is going up more and faster.

Ron

Last edited by Ron61; 05-19-2009 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: To Add Headline
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron, I read the same artical (for the most part) on CNN. What I love is how the heads of the Big 3 are keeping very positive...wonder if they do or say anything less then positive towards Obama, if they'll be standing in the unemployment line like Rick Wagoner?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Most likely since he has threatened several people or businesses that have said anything negative about him. He is setting himself up to be another Stalin or Hitler. Can't disagree with anything he says and sooner or later they will take away the peoples right to vote and appoint their own successors. This has gradually been coming for a long time as we lose more and more of our rights and he has the opportunity to really cash in on it. This is just my opinion and does not constitute a $50 billion dollar Govt. study.

Ron

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Most amusing is the government's estimate that it would cost $1,300 or so per car to accomplish this. It's always wonderful how our government, which paid $7,000 for a coffee thermos and $240 million for a fighter airplane and $3 billion for a new presidential helicopter--money it doesn't have--always figures that private industry can produce miracles for next to no cost.

Anyone watch the movies Madagascar and Madagascar 2?

The chief penguin always asks for facts and figures from one of his underlings - and winds up getting numbers completely pulled out of the air.

Then he says “good - show me your math later!”

“35.5 mile average per gallon requirement “

Why not 35.25? What about 35.226578?

Heck for that matter why not 135mpg. If all you have to do is issue an executive order why not. No amount of analysis went into this order. It was pulled out of thin air. Nobody looked at the technical feasibility of this requirement. Probably no one in the Obama Administration is capable of understanding the consequences of this decision. When will the people wake up?

Just one more phase of “Hussein and Michaela’s Excellent Adventure.”

We are so screwed.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kennedy said that we will go to the moon, and a few years later we did.

I guess getting 35.5 mpg is too tough for us these days.

It's ok - China, India, or Japan will be happy to figure it out and sell it to us.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a better plan for increased fuel economy: Take the CAFE results for 2010 model year vehicles as a baseline. In 2015, fuel economy must increase by 5 percent per vehicle. In 2020, fuel economy must increase by another 5 percent per vehicle. Continue as needed.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham 427 stroker
Not Ranked     

hey cobra de capell if me and you could figure out what drives a mans eyes to your picture me and you wouldnt be worried about 35 miles to the gallon either would every guy that just looked at your pics after reading my message
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham 427 stroker
Not Ranked     

i could get 70 miles on her two tanks
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

The numbers are easy..even Honda Civic HF's got 43 back in the day!
The question is..will you want to drive what it takes to get there? My neighbor had a Civic HF, I have been in Smart cars....and both are not on my list. The real issue for us, as enthusiasts, is how long will it be before gasoline has a huge sin tax attached to 'rectify' our aberrant way of thinking? The powers that be already want to tax soda for the health care boondoggle. See if the smugness remains when gas is north of $5/per. Then, of course, you will have to rethink the 'cash for clunkers' program so that all of the shiftless and lazy can get a new car to pick up their Obama checks. And soon...why not tax the cars you consider non-PC? Welcome to Obamunism!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 482 FE, Pond Aluminum, CNC ported heads
Not Ranked     

BO and the Nutts in Congress want everything for themselves. BO had said we are selfish not sharing what we've earned with his voters.

Now in control they would have us on roller skates
The masses are happy to see everyone equal

Lawmakers elevated themselves higher on their pedastals by punishing the middle class for working and achieving.
The proponents for conservation in fact are the biggest polluters

And the crowd cheers until they run out of others peoples money
As Rome burns.......Play it again NERO

Better not elaborate on the tits as the tax consequences will be severe

May You Stay Forever Young
Rollinggeorge
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My new TDI Jetta gets close to 55 mpg on the highway. Now that is nearly 10mpg over the rated highway mpg. the car is plenty roomy and I don't have to feel unsafe due to the puny little car.

Where this would hurt the most is in the truck market. Some people have to have trucks. I couldn't imagie pulling my trailer full of ATV's with the Jetta! haha But then, they already tried to ban kids atv's, would much rather they stay inside, smoke pot, get fat, and play video games! Way to go America!

So when does the impeachment process begin???
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch View Post
My new TDI Jetta gets close to 55 mpg on the highway. Now that is nearly 10mpg over the rated highway mpg. the car is plenty roomy and I don't have to feel unsafe due to the puny little car.

Where this would hurt the most is in the truck market. Some people have to have trucks. I couldn't imagie pulling my trailer full of ATV's with the Jetta! haha But then, they already tried to ban kids atv's, would much rather they stay inside, smoke pot, get fat, and play video games! Way to go America!

So when does the impeachment process begin???
We are getting ready to order either the 2010 TDI Jetta or the TDI Audi. Like you though, we also have a 3/4 ton diesel truck for towing the boat and enclosed trailer. With the current technology I don't see how a large truck is going to comply.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

we're doomed
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
We are getting ready to order either the 2010 TDI Jetta or the TDI Audi. Like you though, we also have a 3/4 ton diesel truck for towing the boat and enclosed trailer. With the current technology I don't see how a large truck is going to comply.
Ya, the new clean diesel Jettas are nice! Surprisingly quick too! i expected a sluggishly slow econo car, but it gets up and goes too.

I also had a 3/4 ton diesel for hauling. Sold it before I came over here so she wouldn't just sit around. Gonna miss the ol' girl!