LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     
Default Sotomayor: Right to Bear Arms Is Unconstitutional

Sotomayor: Right to Bear Arms Is Unconstitutional

Sotomayor is a graduate from Princeton University, where her legal theses included Race in the American Classroom, and Undying Injustice: American "Exceptionalism" and Permanent Bigotry, and Deadly Obsession: American Gun Culture. In this text, the student Sotomayor explained that the Second Amendment to the Constitution did not actually afford individual citizens the right to bear arms, but only duly conferred organizations, like the military. Instead of making guns illegal, she argues that they have been illegal for individuals to own since the passing of the Bill of Rights.

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/....html#comments
_____

Keep in mind, she is only Chairman Zero's first step with 1-2 additional Supreme's to possibly step down in 1-2 years.

She's after your guns.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Actually, her opinion was that the Constitutional right to bear arms was not meant to apply to the individual; she expressed that...the decision should be left up to the States... a very proper conservative view.

I don't get over to moonbattery.com that often so, I don't know what they actually said there.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

FAR from a 'conservative view' I am afraid. The liberal attempt has been made to make it a 'states rights' issue, but thru radical expansion of the federal powers of interstate regulation, make shipping weapons for personal use impossible. This was a tack after getting their collective tails handed to them on numerous 'frontal assaults' on what has been held repeatedly to be the correct interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. This is one reason Montana and Texas have entered the fray to deny federal authority over guns..any guns..made and used intrastate.
Remember Lott: A man with a gun is a citizen; a man without a gun is a subject. Which do you prefer?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm not really worried about it, first off no one is taking my guns away, and this has already been visited by the supreme court and not likely to come up again, and frankly she is too conservative for me, she has had 380 decisions, and most of those have sided with either the government or corporations, we don't need another corporate hack on the supreme court, we already have 4 of those, Roberts being the worst of the bunch, we need more to side with the people not corporation, or the government.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Actually, her opinion was that the Constitutional right to bear arms was not meant to apply to the individual; she expressed that...the decision should be left up to the States... a very proper conservative view.

States can't make law that take away constitutional rights.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
States can't make law that take away constitutional rights.
Quite correct, that's why she gave the opinion that, without individuals being covered by 2A, it was left to the States to decide.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quite correct, that's why she gave the opinion that, without individuals being covered by 2A, it was left to the States to decide.
Article the fourth [Amendment II][3]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't know how you can read the above and not think that it applies to individuals.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I read that as the people of a well regulated Militia...

...but I am no constitutional lawyer.

But I am smart enough to realize this issue is no big deal.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
Article the fourth [Amendment II][3]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't know how you can read the above and not think that it applies to individuals.
He did not say that he did. He did say that she did.

And the text does say 'regulated' implying some level of regulation, and it does say 'state' not 'nation'.

I know what I want it to mean, and I think I know what it was intended to mean (and they are pretty close), but the wording is just not as clear as it really could have been.

Steve
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here is a link that includes language from the liberal 9th circuit on a case where even they affirmed that the second amendment is an individual right.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=12523
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

See...so there's no worry, is there?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
See...so there's no worry, is there?
I wish it was that easy...
Old 05-28-2009, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra bill View Post
I'm not really worried about it, first off no one is taking my guns away, and this has already been visited by the supreme court and not likely to come up again, and frankly she is too conservative for me, she has had 380 decisions, and most of those have sided with either the government or corporations, we don't need another corporate hack on the supreme court, we already have 4 of those, Roberts being the worst of the bunch, we need more to side with the people not corporation, or the government.

We need someone who will side with the Constitution. That is all.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 90% of a 428 friggin SCJ Engine!
Not Ranked     

This ammendment was designed to prevent what had happened in feudal kingdoms of the past. A subject that could not bear arms was weak and unable to resist tyrany. When tryany exists, the people have a right to protect themselves from it. In the courts via litigation, through the electoral process, and when all else fails, the gun. Remember, I am talking about tyrany. Not a stupid parking ticket.

Mike
Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomelia View Post
This ammendment was designed to prevent what had happened in feudal kingdoms of the past. A subject that could not bear arms was weak and unable to resist tyrany. When tryany exists, the people have a right to protect themselves from it. In the courts via litigation, through the electoral process, and when all else fails, the gun. Remember, I am talking about tyrany. Not a stupid parking ticket.

Mike
That sounds true, but why is it that citizens cannot own the same weapons (guns) as the government? How can they, under the constitution, make laws that disallow the ownership by citizens of assault rifles, etc.?

It seems to me that we would be outgunned under Obama's tyrany - if he takes it over the line, big time.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

They might want to remember history! The Minute Men were way out gunned too.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadsters 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

We would be outgunned under any administration, and as much as you are worried about Obama's, I was equally worried about the bush administration, so I guess I survived them just as you will survive Obama.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull81 View Post
They might want to remember history! The Minute Men were way out gunned too.
That and I'm not too sure how well The Armed Forces would hold together if our sons & daughters were told to turn their guns against family and friends.